m62 kit how to identify bolts - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
m62 kit how to identify bolts
Saturday, September 03, 2011 12:02 PM
So I almost have my kit pieced together. I just have a bunch of random bolts people have sent me. Is there any way to identify the bolts I have or should I just order them off of gm parts direct?

Re: m62 kit how to identify bolts
Saturday, September 03, 2011 7:17 PM
Don't bother getting the bolts from GM or GMPD, it'll cost you triple. I got all my my bolts between Fastenal and Lowes, they're all just metric flange bolts. Soneyhings like the IC pump bracket, and mani bracket you can even use just plain hex head bolts.
For the intake mani bolts, i recommend shouldered bolts, got mine at Fastenal..Mcmaster Carr also carries them. For the 2 long bolts, you'll need 8mm diameter x 10mm long shoulder, with m6 threads. For the shorter bolts, 8mm diameter x 60mm length shoulder, with m6 threads. This is the best option IMO, as the m6-m8 studs from the GM kit are no longer available, and if you just use m6 bolts, the vibrations give the mani room to wiggle and things break...like usually a stud snapping off in the head.
- TMAP To Intake Manifold - M6 x 1.0 x 25 (x1)
- Intake Manifold Mount Bracket To Intake Manifold - M10 X 1.50 x 50 (x1)
- Rear IC Pump Bracket To Intake Manifold Mount - M8 X 1.25 X 25 – (x2)
- Front IC Pump Bracket To Rear IC Pump Bracket - M8 X 1.25 X 35 – (x2)
- Idler Pulley To Block - M10 X 1.50 x 75 (x1)
- Idler Pulley To Alternator Bracket - M8 x 1.25 x 25
- Alternator Bracket To Block - M8 X 1.25 X 130 (x3)
- SC Bypass Valve To SC - M8 X 1.25 X 20 (x2)
- Tensioner Lower To Alternator Bracket - M8 x 1.25 x 35
- Tensioner Upper To Alternator Bracket - M8 X 1.25 x 40… not standard bolt though. Has to be metric hex socket bolt.
- SC Reservoir Bracket To SC - M6 x 1.0 x 15 (x2)
- SC Reservoir To SC Reservoir Bracket - M6 x 1.0 x 15 (x 2)
-lower intake manifold bracket to block - m8x1.25 50mm (x2)
- intake manifold bracket to intake manifold - m10x1.5 50mm ( x1)
- Supercharger to manifold - m8x1.25x40

I think that's everything, if it looks like something is missing, let me know, I've compiled a pretty extensive parts/tips list when i did my install.

Saturday, September 03, 2011 8:59 PM
Wow you are awesome man! Thanks for taking the time to write that post. You saved me a big headache! Now I can just measure the bolts I have or buy new ones. Do you know off hand the bolts for the tb adpater?
Sunday, September 04, 2011 1:11 AM
I don't off hand as i use a different adapter. I should have all the pics from by buddy's install, including the bags of hardware..I'll check and see what I can find

Sunday, September 04, 2011 2:50 PM
Don't you mean 8mm x 60mm m6 for the long ones?

13.520 @ 98mph! 220whp 234tq
Sunday, September 04, 2011 7:30 PM
02cavcruzin wrote:Don't you mean 8mm x 60mm m6 for the long ones?

No.
You need to use shouldered bolts. The manifold is drilled for m8 studs, so if you just use m6 studs or bolts, it's going to give the mani room to wiggle from vibration, and can lead to studs snapping. The GM m6-m8 studs that came in the gmpp kit aren't available anymore, so the next best answer is shouldered bolts.
M6 threads, 8mm shoulder diameter, 10mm and 60mm shoulder lengths.

Monday, September 05, 2011 5:39 AM
Best post I've ever seen on the bolt sizes for the M62 cobalt setup on any eco related site. Thanks Evilution, I'll be adding this to a few FAQ posts elsewhere online.

Monday, September 05, 2011 6:29 AM
Heading to fastenal in a little bit, thanks!

I ment the length, you got them mixed up....

13.520 @ 98mph! 220whp 234tq
Monday, September 05, 2011 7:06 AM
Scorpio1 bishes... wrote:Best post I've ever seen on the bolt sizes for the M62 cobalt setup on any eco related site. Thanks Evilution, I'll be adding this to a few FAQ posts elsewhere online.

I'm going to be writing up a how to over the next few days..I'm seeing alot of m62 questions popping up the last few weeks, and during my install I collected a pretty extensive list of parts numbers, bolt sizes, wiring diagrams, etc.

As for the shoulder bolts, I think they only cost me like $25, and that was with buying a couple spares.

Monday, September 05, 2011 10:22 AM
Oh, and here's the correciton for the shoulder bolt sizes...I mixed up the short and long bolts in my original reply, lol

For the short bolts, you'll need 8mm diameter x 10mm long shoulder, with m6 threads. For the 2 long bolts, 8mm diameter x 60mm length shoulder, with m6 threads

Friday, September 09, 2011 1:46 PM
Great info. I've almost completed my kit, all I need is a re-flashed computer. This post will definitely come in handy, as I'm sure I'm missing bolts. Look forward to your 'how to' as well. Thanks for the info! Keep up the good work!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search