changing out your transmission? EASY WAY - Page 3 - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: changing out your transmission? EASY WAY
Tuesday, June 24, 2008 4:12 PM
Br0k3n FIRE... (ExESIVE FIRE) wrote:yeah... we should have read this before last night....

ah well...

you mean to tell me that thing still isn't fixed????

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 10:44 AM

NIghtmare....

I have a 4spd auto in my 2000....and the thing is shaking like a leaf...

Need to swap out now however this method may not work considering the size difference..!

Friday, July 11, 2008 9:50 AM
Skwirl!!! good thinking bro... I have always wanted to do something with subframe somehow.. you found a way to do it! props to you bro. I am going to take my HM282 transmission out for fourth times sometime next week. I will chop off subframe an inch..

thanks man!!!
Friday, July 11, 2008 10:17 AM
Shawn,

This was done to mine just this week... transmission came out with very little room to spare... take as much off as you really dare to, it really helps a lot. Also if you can get the shift linkage off the top of the trans it'll practically drop right out, that's all that was really making it difficult to come out. Be aware you'll end up rotating the transmission 90 degrees towards the front of the car as it comes out.

Good luck.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Friday, July 11, 2008 9:14 PM
It can be done without but I also did this about two years ago when I put a slave in the car. Made things a lot easier for the multiple times the trans has been out...

12.770 @ 111.99 Intercooled Eaton M62

Friday, August 22, 2008 4:49 PM
Wait are you saying that I only need to bleed it ? dont I need to put a new clutch in ? because the samething happend to me and yes I am still driving the car. so what do I need to do exactly?
Monday, August 25, 2008 7:53 AM
This is something A LOT of techs already know about. 7 years ago when I changed out my clutch on my 96 a tech told me, hey if you just cut the tab off the sub-frame you will have plenty of room getting that @!#$ outta there. Kinda thought it was common knowledge at that point.

---------------------------------------------------
4 Cams...32 Valves...5 Liters...This Could Get Fun!

Saturday, January 24, 2009 4:21 PM
hey squirl still got the pics hosted somewhere?

Sunday, February 01, 2009 10:53 PM
hey think u can send me the pics?" can't seem to see them on this forum anymore.

BTW, anyone here know how long it ususally takes to change the clutch/slave cyl/flywheel on the 01 Getrag 5spds?

'cuz if I have to drop the tranny, maybe cutting away that bit'd be better for me.

THANKS
Sunday, February 08, 2009 6:28 AM
^^^^^^^^ 05 Getrag first and second dead but have the rest... getting to see what im getting into first would be a handy advantage...

Sunday, March 01, 2009 8:33 PM

Wednesday, March 04, 2009 6:34 PM
bump need theese pics...lol...please !!!!!

Wednesday, March 04, 2009 7:06 PM
guys.. if you try to take your transmission out its painfully obvious, I really need to hold your hands on this?

I'll dig up the pictures tonight and host them on my photobucket. I cancelled my 1&1 account which is why the pictures are dead.

Its really obvious tho if you try to take the transmission out as to what is blocking you. On the subframe where the little bar connects (the radiator support bar) on the drivers side, remove that and you'll see the big A-arm bolt behind it. The ear of the subframe thats there needs to be lopped off. Don't take off the part that the bolt goes through, just enough to clear the differential to let the trans slip out.

its so easy, its almost not even worth posting.. but I'll dig the pics up tonight sometime.

Thursday, March 05, 2009 3:42 PM
Agree with PJ here. If you've ever been under your car and looked, you'll know what to cut. Helps immensely when dropping the tranny. If I have to do it again I'm going to modify my "motor hoist". What I basically made was a homemade strut bar and then extended that to the front of the car to rest on the sheet metal above the radiator with a adjustable hook/chain to raise or lower the motor as needed. WISH I would have made it with another extension to raise and lower the tranny instead of using a floor jack.

Friday, March 06, 2009 12:50 PM
I did the cut on mine when I changed the clutch. So much easier I agree. I didn't think anyone had done the same until I came across this forum.
Monday, March 23, 2009 10:56 AM
So do we have to pull it the hard way first?

or can this be cut while trans is still in car?

Monday, March 23, 2009 4:47 PM
I'm also in for the pics. Need to install a transmission soon and might as well do it while there's no engine/transmission in the car.

My Cardomain Page
Monday, March 23, 2009 5:42 PM
I'm just wondering how many more times this is going to get bumped until you notice that the pictures on the first page work again.

and I further reiterate.. if you get down on the damn ground and LOOK its pretty f-ing obvious where you need to cut.

I figured it out all by myself. Nobody told me how, nobody clued me in. Don't be afraid, it won't bite.. use your eyes and you can all see for yourself. It's blatantly obvious.. if you can solve 2+2, then you can figure out where you need to cut the subframe

c'mon guys.... seriously.

Monday, March 23, 2009 6:10 PM
Thank you PJ. I took my engine out and then the transmission out of the top so I didn't think to remove that brace that goes from the subframe to the radiator support. It's completely clear now.

My Cardomain Page
Saturday, April 11, 2009 2:37 AM
Pics please?

Thursday, October 11, 2012 11:14 AM
MOAR PICS!

Friday, October 12, 2012 6:18 AM
^haha. I'll add that I've done this to two other j's now when doing clutches.

Friday, October 12, 2012 7:28 AM
Yeah mines slipping I've got 115k on the original clutch, so its def time for a new one. This seems like it will help a lot.
Monday, October 15, 2012 2:05 PM
PJ... thank you very much. I see where a cut may need to be made, but I'd like to see how you did yours... pics are gone again lol.

On a side note, why is 1st gear gone? Seems like the dog teeth, maybe too much 1st gear drops at autox?

I roll on steelies. Work-in-progress daily-sleeper potential.
http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/engine/60493/
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search