Getrag full metal shifter (interest?) - Page 11 - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Getrag full metal shifter (interest?)
Wednesday, June 01, 2011 9:25 PM
What happened with this? Id LOOOVVEEE to pick one up for my 04 cav like now!

Thursday, June 02, 2011 1:26 PM
Its being tested and tweaked by the creator. We're all waiting for the production.

--------------------------
NCR-SCCA
Thursday, June 02, 2011 1:39 PM
yeah he said minor adjustments on clasps and what not. and getting materials lined up and ready. just gotta be patient, i think it will be worth it in the end.

Thursday, June 02, 2011 3:38 PM
That's cool! It just seemed like this idea kinda fell off. The cup where the shifter pivot goes in seems to have completely worn out so this would be just lovely to have. Can't wait!!!
Thursday, June 02, 2011 7:59 PM
funny you guys commented, i was working on the shifter a bit today.

the longer you guys wait, the more features will be included.

speaking of which, here's the latest incarnation of the Power Shifter:

whats different about it? well one of the recurring problems was the offset of the side/side pivot point. I did this in order to decrease the amount of movement needed when racking the shifter left or right. the downside of doing this, is it makes the stick offset towards the passenger side of the car, and also runs the stick into the retaining ring for the shift boot.

the way I solved this problem also solved another problem I've been having, and also adds an extra feature to the shifter.

here's the shifter from the rear

the stick is now two pieces. the bottom section is made out of square stock, which takes up any amount of slack between the fore/aft bearings that existed when using a solid stick from top to bottom. a solid stick from top to bottom is convenient, but the roundness of the shaft inbetween the bearings gives a little bit of play that overtime does get a tiny bit worse. since the square stock is exactly 1/2" wide and is FLAT, it gives the bearing journals something to rest on and eliminates that play.

the offset piece also brings the stick away from the passenger side and towards the centerline of the car, giving you clearance on the shift boot retaining ring, and also centering the stick in the shifter hole in the console... gives it a bit of a nicer, more even look.

the other feature it adds?

you'll be able to order/ make different sized sticks that will raise or lower the shifter to wherever a comfortable height is for you. a longer stick will reduce shifter effort (the angular throw however is still very short), or a shorter stick will give it a sportier look and increase shifter effort.

depending on how well I can fabricate these (the prototype sucks right now), I may include a few in the shifter, or let the end user select which length stick they want when ordering.

I sized this stick to match perfectly the length of the old solid stick I had in the car (8" overall). the super precision shift boot I have in there (a rag with a hole in it) is hanging lower because I don't have the retention ring on the stick.

Thursday, June 02, 2011 9:54 PM
LOVE it! absolutely LOVE it. wish i had a car to put it in lol. Cant wait to get mine...

Friday, June 03, 2011 5:31 AM
Woooooow! This is going to be fantastic. I drove a friends newer mustag gt, equipped with a short throw, and with more effort, it kind of "clicked" into gear. I loved this tremendously! Almost gave it a race car feel. Is this going to be similar?
Friday, June 03, 2011 5:48 AM
SWEET!

"Thank you little roots; Stay strong." Chris Farley
Friday, June 03, 2011 9:29 AM
This thing is going to be sweet.
Friday, June 03, 2011 5:39 PM
much easier to get into reverse and 5th now that the stick isn't running into the side of the center console.

I also noticed that one of the teeth on my die is cracked, which is probably why the threads came out so crappy.

I'm still getting some play in the cage, I'm going to try a re-design of the cage to tighten up the tolerances with the bearings mounted there. if that doesn't work, I'm going to re-design the bottom of the stick to move the location of the bearings to see if that helps.

I'm splitting hairs now, but honestly it'll just make it that much better when I finally do get a GP going. I'm very close guys.

Friday, June 03, 2011 5:55 PM
Pj. I know how to get rid of the play in the cage but its a total redesign. And I think I may make one this way for myself. Go back to the same design as the stock shifter but replace the crappy plastic ball thing and just run the shaft through a spherical and retain it with snap rings.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer

Friday, June 03, 2011 7:27 PM
Leafy wrote:Pj. I know how to get rid of the play in the cage but its a total redesign. And I think I may make one this way for myself. Go back to the same design as the stock shifter but replace the crappy plastic ball thing and just run the shaft through a spherical and retain it with snap rings.

the play I have now is because I need 1/4" worth of metal for the bearing journal to sit in and only have 1/8". So the bearings wobble a bit inside the cage. Really what I probably need to do is machine/ weld a new cage that has thicker walls in order to properly support the stick and eliminate the final bit of side to side play I have.

but about your design, how do you plan on actuating the side arm?

the lever thats attached to the stick that connects to the side arm needs to be on the same centerline as the "roll" plane of rotation.

if you use a spherical, you won't be able to attach anything to the stick to connect to move the sidearm.

I can get around this by use of the cage design because it seperates the fore/aft rotation (pitch) from the left/right rotation (roll). But even so, the connection point for the sidearm is still on the same centerline as the left/right pivot bearings and (less importantly) on the same centerline as the fore/aft bearings.

The connection point being on the same centerline as the side to side connection (roll) is important because it reduces what I can best describe as "swing deviation". if you move the lever up or down in relation to the centerline of the side to side bearings, when you move the stick left or right, the lever will move tremendously in a 'swinging' motion, with a lot of lateral "penetration movement"... whereas keeping it on the same centerline eliminates that and reduces it to an up and down movement with very little "penetration movement" at the end of the lever for the most part.

The fore/aft centerline isn't as important in my design because the cage is moving the sidearm, NOT the stick itself. if you were to use the stick as the connection point instead, then its absolutely imperative that the connection point is on the same centerline because moving the stick back/forward would also move that lever WAY out of alignment. (ie. stock design).

I contemplated using a spherical when I was first trying to come up with a design, but if you use a spherical, you lose the ability to actuate anything to the side of the stick. Furthermore, I don't know if any spherical would allow enough angular misalignment in order to move the cables enough unless you raise the pivot point pretty high in order to maximize the lever advantage of the stick.

I realize its very difficult to visualize what I'm talking about when I'm typing it, so if you're having trouble following I could make a video explaining what I just typed. I'm not saying you're stupid, I'm just saying its hard to understand when there's no drawings of my design other thatn a few videos and pictures of it working.

Friday, June 03, 2011 7:43 PM
Pj I know what you mean. I planned on placing the linkage in the right place but mounting off a different point of the shaft, basically using and artificial "linkage" between the pivot point and the cable connection. If I was real slick I could user that mounting those points to retain the shaft in the spherical

And theres a reason they make high angular misalignment sphericals

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Friday, June 03, 2011 9:16 PM
Subscribed....been looking everywhere for this thread. I forgot you were designing this thing.

ECOtec DOHC

Tuesday, June 07, 2011 9:31 PM
ive got a b@m in my 99....switching to getrag.......will it fit in my center console??fantastic job!!!!!!jst read all pages.....thats my onlyquestionis fitment.... thanks...keep up the amazing wrk
Wednesday, June 08, 2011 8:00 PM
Matt slocum wrote:ive got a b@m in my 99....switching to getrag.......will it fit in my center console??fantastic job!!!!!!jst read all pages.....thats my onlyquestionis fitment.... thanks...keep up the amazing wrk

yes it would, but why not switch to the nicer (read : 2 cup holders up front+2 in back part) 00+ console?

JBO Stickers are back!!!! Click Me!!
Saturday, June 25, 2011 3:49 PM
true that....the interior of my parts car is wasted thats all...cld point tho..thanks brad.........
Wednesday, July 13, 2011 8:49 AM
How is the testing/fab work going?

"Thank you little roots; Stay strong." Chris Farley
Friday, July 15, 2011 11:52 PM
^^ THIS?!

ECOtec DOHC

Saturday, July 16, 2011 2:53 AM
My 01 is definately not a race car but I hate the play in my Cavi. I'm interested for sure.
Saturday, July 16, 2011 3:15 AM
MiNeS wrote:How is the testing/fab work going?

i'm not exactly happy with the threaded shaft for the stick, i need to work on that still.

still working on a more efficient way to make the cable clasps too.

soon guys, its been almost 1 year since I made the first prototype. but believe me, by the time i do start making them its going to be a rock-solid part.

Sunday, July 17, 2011 10:29 PM
I'd definitely be in if you could get one set up for the Isuzu trans... heck if you could get the Isuzu cables to attach I'd get the Getrag one, I wouldn't mind learning a new shift pattern I currently have B&M installed and it has almost an inch of play up and down and side to side and she don't like going into second too well if you don't slide it in the right way...
Wednesday, July 20, 2011 10:42 AM
Looking good! "IF" I end up with another J-body to play with, this may be something I'd want!

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 12:40 AM
Bump from the second page, update?

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 5:40 AM
Im interested now that I have to do a manual swap!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search