BAHNHOF clutches / lightweight flywheels - Page 2 - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: BAHNHOF clutches / lightweight flywheels
Sunday, July 29, 2012 5:05 PM
I am looking for a replacement Clutch kit for an 03 Sunfire, are you still happy with the Bahnhof?

Friday, August 03, 2012 12:27 PM
yup. It chatters a bit sometimes when youre neutral or something, but its to be expected of the 6puck clutches.
I do hear a 'whine' every now and then when slowly letting out the clutch too, but it still grabs great and I can chirp my tires in 1st through 4th without issue.
even had it at the drag strip a few times. on the drag radials it seems to hold up okay as well...so well infact i just get belt slippage

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Wednesday, May 15, 2013 1:28 PM
thought Id chime in with this setup still on my car..though not sure for how long.
The chattering finally went away as I pretty much stopped hearing it months ago.
Ive had problems trying to do 2nd gear burnouts from a dig or from 1st gear burn outs then shifting into 2nd. It just slips like no other. At first I thought my tires were just spinning a lot as i moved forward..but quickly realized there were no tire marks or smoke. then id go to drive and itd slip really bad trying to speed up. the RPMs would kind of rev then the car would jerk forward like it just caught the flywheel.

this has happened a few times and now its defintely worse with a properly tuned car. With the power my stage2 clutch was slipping bad between gears. it felt like it was 'dragging' wasnt tire spin and i could actually feel it slip. otherwise the daily driving and cruising is perfectly normal. its only when im aggressively shifting or hard on it.

So..i probably wont cut corners on a clutch again. Bahnhof stage 2 (and stage 3) is rated at like 278hp. Since im getting into the higher power range of the Stage 2 and 3 clutches (270-300) with my car tuned and parts all back in, it just wont cut it anyways. I know Tinkles and others might be running stock, but for some reason mine just didnt like the power.

Now..if my motor can be put back together fairly soon for a reasonable price, ill probably look around for a good clutch set up.

So Bahnhof was a great clutch for the money, but its not worth it if you are heavily modding IMO. And im pretty sure mind is on its way out in just over a year of boosted driving.

Friday, May 17, 2013 8:15 AM
KY Performance clutch kits are the way to go. Great price too. Chevy Cobalt customers are over 400 HP/Tor on the stage 3, for years already.

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Friday, May 17, 2013 11:04 AM
blu04DD wrote:thought Id chime in with this setup still on my car..though not sure for how long.
The chattering finally went away as I pretty much stopped hearing it months ago.
Ive had problems trying to do 2nd gear burnouts from a dig or from 1st gear burn outs then shifting into 2nd. It just slips like no other. At first I thought my tires were just spinning a lot as i moved forward..but quickly realized there were no tire marks or smoke. then id go to drive and itd slip really bad trying to speed up. the RPMs would kind of rev then the car would jerk forward like it just caught the flywheel.

this has happened a few times and now its defintely worse with a properly tuned car. With the power my stage2 clutch was slipping bad between gears. it felt like it was 'dragging' wasnt tire spin and i could actually feel it slip. otherwise the daily driving and cruising is perfectly normal. its only when im aggressively shifting or hard on it.

So..i probably wont cut corners on a clutch again. Bahnhof stage 2 (and stage 3) is rated at like 278hp. Since im getting into the higher power range of the Stage 2 and 3 clutches (270-300) with my car tuned and parts all back in, it just wont cut it anyways. I know Tinkles and others might be running stock, but for some reason mine just didnt like the power.

Now..if my motor can be put back together fairly soon for a reasonable price, ill probably look around for a good clutch set up.

So Bahnhof was a great clutch for the money, but its not worth it if you are heavily modding IMO. And im pretty sure mind is on its way out in just over a year of boosted driving.

It took 20K miles to kill my stock replacement at 300hp. Couldnt believe it... $125 clutch, pressure plate, and slave kit and it took so much abuse for that long.

Friday, May 17, 2013 1:13 PM
Turbo Tech Racing wrote:KY Performance clutch kits are the way to go. Great price too. Chevy Cobalt customers are over 400 HP/Tor on the stage 3, for years already.

i may go that route if the price is right for my rebuild.

im surprised my 280hp rated stage 2 clutch was slipping like it was. i dont beat on it that bad unless im basically racing. though i do downshift a lot versus brake, but that would tax the transmission more than a clutch i would imagine...

BuiltnBoosted: yeah im not sure whats up with mine, but it has been on since its been boosted (actually just before if i recall) just over a year and 35k miles. how many miles should a good clutch get?
oh..and are lightweight flywheels worth it these days? would it matter if it was a dd vs a track car?

Friday, May 17, 2013 1:38 PM
I mean I didnt expect stock replacement to last that long but it did. If I were doing it all over again I would probably not do a lightweight flywheel unless it was dedicated race car. Its not bad. Revs faster, revs drop faster between shifts. Its not bad. If you can get one for the right price then go for it.

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 10:06 AM
I've had nothing but good experiences with everything Bahnhof. Very reliable clutches in my opinion, totally recommend them.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search