Getrag shifter cable adjustments - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Getrag shifter cable adjustments
Monday, May 01, 2006 9:05 AM
I'm making this post to let people know that you can adjust the shift cables on the getrag trannies. I have had a 97 Z 5 speed, you could not adjust those. On my 2001 you can. My car has 75k on it. I have the B&M short shifter for a long time now. I started having issues not being able to hit second gear under WOT passes. I had this same issue on my 97 z. After a while the shifter cable broke and it was stuck in second gear. Once the cables were replaced it was like new again. SO I was pretty sure the same thing was coming. We have a extra set of cables and I was going to swap them this weekend, while looking at the extra set we noticed something that looked liked it could be adjusted. I will get picutres of this and post, but might be a week or so. Where the cables connect to the shifter there is a box like thing with a white cover (for the front to back motion), and grey ( for side to side motion). The white and grey covers clip off (but be carefully they will stay attached at all times, due to the cable it's self going through the middle). Under neath that is a plastic shaft with threads. You can move the shifter at this point and make your adjustments. What this does is allow the shifter to not move as far back but still get the tranny in gear. I can now get into second gear with no issues. We did not adjust the side to side motion, only front to back.

What I have noticed since this is my shift does not go as far backwards ( towards the rear of the car) to get into second gear. Now going to my top gears feels different, but still shifts fine.

I'm not saying anyone and everyone should do this, but it is a option out there. I'm also not saying this will shorten your shifts, because it is really moving where the shifter sits. For my issue it has helped for now. Could it cause long term issues, maybe. I will do a write up and give it to Lenko for the FAQ's. I will also get some pictures for you guys as well.

FU Tuning

Re: Getrag shifter cable adjustments
Monday, May 01, 2006 9:56 AM
Pictures would be great, I think I know what you're talking about though.

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search