Kumho Ecsta 4X - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Kumho Ecsta 4X
Thursday, March 22, 2012 5:10 PM
Anyone have any experience with these? Ratings seem really good for the money. Most important thing to me is dry traction, followed by treadwear and noise. So far its between these and Hankook V12 evo's. Any thoughts or suggestions?

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Re: Kumho Ecsta 4X
Thursday, March 22, 2012 6:40 PM
I just got a set of kumho ecsta's, never heard 4x though, but they grip plenty and are pretty quite

Thursday, March 22, 2012 6:52 PM
I'd take the V12 Evo's over the Kuhmo's all day. 4X's aren't that great, and the Hankooks are an amazing tire.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Thursday, March 22, 2012 7:13 PM
I am in the market for tires like these to put on my traklights. The tire rack lists three tires with higher ratings then the Kuhmo's, here. Anyone have experience with the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 or the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1's?

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Thursday, March 22, 2012 7:16 PM
What are you planning on doing with them? AutoX? Daily?

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Friday, March 23, 2012 9:26 AM
It is daily driven but will see autoX and maybe a track day or two. I have ultra high performance all seasons on my stock rims and will run those half the year.

Friday, March 23, 2012 9:36 AM
Another one I've been looking at was the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec. I've ruled out the v12s, so its currently between The Kumho Ecsta XS and the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Ecsta+XS&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=145WR7EXS&tab=Sizes
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Direzza+Sport+Z1+Star+Spec&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=145WR7Z1SS&tab=Sizes

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Friday, March 23, 2012 10:05 AM
Shawn McKenzie wrote:It is daily driven but will see autoX and maybe a track day or two. I have ultra high performance all seasons on my stock rims and will run those half the year.

Definitely go with the V12's then.

--Boosted Z-- wrote: I've ruled out the v12s,

Why?

Friday, March 23, 2012 10:20 AM
Transporter7220 wrote:

--Boosted Z-- wrote: I've ruled out the v12s,

Why?

Yes, why? All i hear from V12 owners is how much they love them. I personally can not wait to run my V12s this year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, March 23, 2012 12:41 PM

Error: Sig not found.

Friday, March 23, 2012 10:54 AM
Just checked mine are the ast, I have no complaints

Friday, March 23, 2012 11:18 AM
I've had Mediocre luck with Kumho tires. First set I had a couple years back were great, but the set that went on after that was terrible.

I recently got new tires and went with some Continental tires and they are amazing so far. The grip trumps that of any time or any care I've owned, in both wet and dry conditions. I can't speak for the tread life yet as they've only been on the car for a month.

Friday, March 23, 2012 1:58 PM
The V12's are in a different category then the rest of the tires discussed here, Max performance summer vs extreme performance summer. The Hankook tire in the same category is the Ventus R-S3, looks pretty good. I have Bridgestone G019 Grids, 205-55-16, and I want a slightly lower sidewall height. The traklights are wider so I was thinking of running a 225-50-16.

Friday, March 23, 2012 3:12 PM
I ruled out the V12s because they are a category less than the other two, but pretty much the same price. Reviews for the other two were a bit better than the v12s as well.

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Friday, March 23, 2012 4:12 PM
The other two are good tires, but you have to realize you're going to get two summers of awesome grip out of the V12s, and probably only 1 summer out of the other two without much of a grip increase.

If you're autoxing, the XS and Z1's are great tires, but I would suggest picking up a second set of wheels and only running them while you race.

Friday, March 23, 2012 6:16 PM
Tread wear really that bad on the extreme category tires? I'm looking to get at least two summers out of the tires. The Z1's have a 200 tread wear rating and the V12's have 280. The V12's also placed last in a tire rack comparison test, here.

Friday, March 23, 2012 6:53 PM
I love my V12's, hook well on the street with my 3800SC, so far treadwear is good.

Friday, March 23, 2012 9:26 PM
Shawn McKenzie wrote:Tread wear really that bad on the extreme category tires? I'm looking to get at least two summers out of the tires. The Z1's have a 200 tread wear rating and the V12's have 280. The V12's also placed last in a tire rack comparison test, here.

You're putting way too much weight on classification and tread wear ratings. Tread wear ratings are a ball park figure, most of them are +/- 75 or so.

Saturday, March 24, 2012 11:31 AM
Yea, I realize that now. I have reconsidered and am going with the V12. Since most of the max performance category tires don't even come in 16's there weren't many options but the V12's got great reviews and they are a great price. Got my first autocross event in a few weeks, should be purchasing soon.

Saturday, March 24, 2012 1:01 PM
How does the Falken Ziex ZE-612 fit into this conversation?

* * BIG FOR SALE POST * *
Saturday, March 24, 2012 2:59 PM
I don't have any experience with them, and I've never heard them mentioned as something impressive at AutoX events.

Saturday, March 24, 2012 5:04 PM
I just installed 4X's and I love' em paid $93 a tire from tire rack. I got them in 225/50/16 on stock ls sport wheels and they do rub just slightly at full lock at stock ride height.

I say grate value priced performance tire that you can run thru the fall, I put mine on too early and we got a dusting of snow and they gripped good. Was good in cold rain (38-45*F) to.

Saturday, March 24, 2012 5:11 PM
If they hold on in the snow they aren't a summer performance anything.

Saturday, March 24, 2012 7:18 PM
That's what I'm thinking. This is the first time I've actually shopped for performance tires, so this thread come up at a good time. I was checking a few out at the tire shop today and the guy there recommended those Falkens over the Kumho and Hankooks.

* * BIG FOR SALE POST * *
Saturday, March 24, 2012 9:18 PM
I didn't consider Falken because tire rack doesn't carry that brand and that was the extent of my search. The Falken Ziex ZE-612 is listed as an all season tire, I got those already. Looking for performance summer tire. From Falken's website the FK452 should be a comparable tire but quick search of reviews make it sound too soft and compliant for what I am looking at.

Right now I am torn between going with extreme performance tires and only using them when I hit the track. Or going one step down to ultimate/max performance and being able to run them all summer without fear of using them up in one summer.

Sunday, March 25, 2012 2:24 AM
Just buy another set of wheels. V12s on one set and RS-3s on the other. Then you will get the maximum life out of both sets.

Error: Sig not found.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search