Tire pressure with 16" RIMS. - Page 2 - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Tire pressure with 16" RIMS.
Friday, June 22, 2012 9:25 PM
Bill me-later wrote:simply going by the psi marked on the door is foolish. ford had a problem a while back with tires blowing out. they had posted 28 psi and in doing so the tires would get excessively hot and blowout. You have to have some common sense and use good judgment. higher psi will wear the center and too low psi will wear the outside edges of the tread. 30 psi seems low if you want good gas mileage. the best gas mileage can be found if you set the tire psi to the max tire pressure which will often mean you'll have to go above the psi on the door. IMHO

off topic but I worked at ford and got to keep a new set of these tires, they were spear tires, and I ran them at 35 psi for years sometimes under excessive speeds. so it wasn't the tires, from my personal exp.

Appreciate the info. Even at 2 1/2 months old it still sends me an e-mail that there was a new post. I think I am going to up my PSI , I think 30 is too low for the tires I am using, but that's just my opinion. I have always ran my tires at the "max" psi. At cold I would do a few PSI less then max so that when they did get hot it wouldn't exceed the max. Never had a problem with premature wear...
Thanks again,
Lee

Re: Tire pressure with 16
Sunday, July 08, 2012 5:39 PM
Bill me-later wrote:simply going by the psi marked on the door is foolish. ford had a problem a while back with tires blowing out. they had posted 28 psi and in doing so the tires would get excessively hot and blowout. You have to have some common sense and use good judgment. higher psi will wear the center and too low psi will wear the outside edges of the tread. 30 psi seems low if you want good gas mileage. the best gas mileage can be found if you set the tire psi to the max tire pressure which will often mean you'll have to go above the psi on the door. IMHO

off topic but I worked at ford and got to keep a new set of these tires, they were spear tires, and I ran them at 35 psi for years sometimes under excessive speeds. so it wasn't the tires, from my personal exp.

That's only half of the truth.
First, it was 26PSI, not 28PSI. And the reason Ford did that was because at 30 or 32PSI (the norm) would cause the Explorer to flip over easier than at the 26PSI. So instead of re-engineer the chassis, Ford decided to do a band-aid fix with the lower PSI. Problem was tires would not be checked regularly and like any one know, tires eventually loose pressure, so combine a low PSI with neglect you get <26PSI. What happens next is heat build up, more so in hot temperature areas. Then the tire separates because the heat build up.

Now what is on the door is a compromise of tire longevity, fuel economy, braking, handling, acceleration grip, comfort. Even on a 2013 Corvette GM will say 30PSI. What is on the tire's sidewall is the max that tire can hold safely when cold.
Basically, don't go below what GM says... Which is 30PSI. I prefer to run at 32PSI for daily driving. If I'm doing a highway trip with extra weight, I will up it to F:35PSI/ R:34PSI mostly for the prolong high speed.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Sunday, July 22, 2012 6:25 AM
when i had my LSS wheels with Hercules tires, once i got the damn chrome to stop leaking i never had to top them up (i checked them weekly because id park funny and one would look low), and with the 16's on my civic I had to take air out last week after i rotated them
Tuesday, July 24, 2012 11:55 AM
I like to run 36 psi front and 32 psi rear with 205/55/r16s on stock 95-99 Z44 rims. This tire has a higher thread wear rating. Max PSI of tire, 44 psi.
I like to run 40 psi front and 36 psi rear with 225/50/r16s on stock 95-99 Z44 rims. This tire has a low thread wear rating. Max PSI of tire, 55 psi.

This is what I prefer for daily driving. I drive aggressively, and like how this PSI works with the setup on my car. At the drag strip to get the best contact patch I normally run 26-28 psi in the front, and 40-42 psi in the rear on the 225/50/r16s. This seems to give the best traction. If I forget to let the rear down a little it is really bouncy on the drive home.

This all really depends on the tire used, and not really the tire size. Anything 30-38psi will be fine with 16" rims...with the proper tire. Either 205/55/r16 or 225/50/r16.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, July 24, 2012 12:34 PM
Update: thanks everyone for the input! Recently went to get then topped off and only one tire lost any air . Bumped them up to 35psi just because i load the car up fairly often
Saturday, August 11, 2012 9:24 AM
Twenty4z wrote:Any other awesome information you'd like to share on a 2 1/2 month old thread?

Yeah!
Does anyone else besides me always have a $0.99 pressure gauge in their console?

You could have bought like 20 pressure gauges man.

I roll on steelies. Work-in-progress daily-sleeper potential.
http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/engine/60493/
Monday, August 13, 2012 10:35 PM
Shoulda waiting a little longer to bump this again.

________________________________________.
Still not low enough for a signature.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search