After market gauges - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
After market gauges
Sunday, November 07, 2010 6:00 PM
I searched but did n't find what I was really looking for. I have a 2000 Cav 2200. Does anyone now if there is a way yo replace the factory dash gauges and run after market gauges like Autometer. I'm curious about running Speedo, Tach, Fuel, Temp, and Volt. Can this be done on our cars. Thanks

Re: After market gauges
Sunday, November 07, 2010 6:16 PM
Yeah you can. I think you can get speedhut to make you a custom dash bezel with the gauges of your choice
Sunday, November 07, 2010 8:28 PM
no. it's not possible.

Monday, November 08, 2010 4:53 AM
It is possible, but not very common. Your best bet would be to try contacting members directly who have done it. Bigpappa and sndsgood are 2 off the top of my head who have done it.

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Tuesday, November 09, 2010 1:13 PM
You would pretty much have to hide away the factory cluster and then build your own to go in place running on independent gauges.

Saturday, November 13, 2010 11:07 AM
all my gauges are autometer I don't know how to put the picture but I have pictures on my cardomain it's prcavy check it out and they are easy to mount
Saturday, November 13, 2010 7:47 PM
only reason for keeping the old cluster is for the passlock, Ive always wondered why people dont do this more. with all the 3400 swaps and what not going on people spending time to make hybrid harnesses to keep the old panel BS, just run independents and deal with the passlock another way.

Thursday, November 25, 2010 8:05 PM
what is pass lock? I was wondering how to do this myself cause my gauge cluster is messed up,
Thursday, November 25, 2010 8:29 PM
I have a 2000 sunfire and want to make my own gauge cluster. I heard the 2000+ can run without a gauge cluster is this true? And if I do put autometers in and take the old cluster out will it affect other features like door locks and what not?
Friday, November 26, 2010 4:02 PM
her is a vid of mine
they are speedhut gauges, fuel, speedo, tach and temp

Friday, November 26, 2010 4:10 PM
her are some pics from my old iphone

Friday, November 26, 2010 4:57 PM
IF I remember correctly the 95-99 are pretty easy to swap different gauges in, but the 00+ is a huge PITA with the way the computer sends out signals

Saturday, November 27, 2010 12:54 PM
To disable Passlock - (95 - 99)
1. Remove column cover
2. Start Car
3. Cut or disconnect little harness under ignition cylinder (only 2 or 3 wires coming out of it)

SECURITY or THEFT SYSTEM light will come on, but car will stay running. Bye bye pass lock. I did this and it works fine. Security lights shouldn't bother you if you are going to run custom gauge clusters.

----

Saturday, November 27, 2010 12:57 PM
DISCLAIMER - If you &%%# up your car trying to disable passlock I am not responsible. I know this works 100% for PassLock 1. Not sure about any of the other systems. ATTEMPT AT OWN RISK

----

Saturday, November 27, 2010 1:21 PM
Magik1109 wrote:her are some pics from my old iphone

any walkthrough on this or how hard was it to do this on a scale of 1 - 10
Saturday, November 27, 2010 2:03 PM
i have taken couple pics when i've done it. i could post a little how to... on 1-10 scale i would say maybe 7.5. i keep the old cluster circuit board under the dash and solder my led from there. that was the most diffuclt parts.

Saturday, November 27, 2010 2:31 PM
Actually pretty easy to do if you know what gauges you are putting in, aftermarket speedo uses the stock vss signal wire but you will need to calibrate it via instructions that come with the gauge. Fuel level is the same signal wire just as long as you have the 0-90 ohm sender for a 95-99 I believe, 00+ are the 250-33 (I am not certain on the newer ones). Temp you will need a sending unit and somehow attach it to either the rad hose or on the block, depending on engine/setup. Volt is any 12v source really, its your choice.

Saturday, November 27, 2010 3:39 PM
Could you take some pics of what it looks like in the day time? Also You dont have to keep your old cluster if its a 2000+ right? I have a 2000 sunfire and want to do the same.
Saturday, November 27, 2010 3:48 PM
i have a set from speed hut that just sat over the old one. it cost me like 1110 or so, but its all blue flames over a black cluster. it also has a knob to switch it from blue to green or vice versa. and it also came with a seperate set of white big face gauges too. but again, mines a 98 and it just sat over the oem cluster, u just had to take the needles off and make sure u mark where u got them from, or else the needles wont move. i made that mistake and had to get a friend of mine to fix it.
Saturday, November 27, 2010 3:49 PM
i mean $110
Saturday, November 27, 2010 5:16 PM
96-99 i know you need the cluster to be plugged if not, the car just wont start. i have the 95ecu swapped and 95 the car will still run without the cluster, i keep the cluster because it was easier for keeping the led lights. just tapped the circuit board. as for 00+ i have no idea....

Saturday, November 27, 2010 6:33 PM
Magik1109 wrote:96-99 i know you need the cluster to be plugged if not, the car just wont start. i have the 95ecu swapped and 95 the car will still run without the cluster, i keep the cluster because it was easier for keeping the led lights. just tapped the circuit board. as for 00+ i have no idea....

Sunfire must be different then, because I have had my gauges out and my car started no problem. (Had to move car while everything was unplugged.) I also had my PassLock system disabled... See above post on how I did that.

----

Saturday, November 27, 2010 6:35 PM
Forgot to post - My car is a 98

----

Saturday, November 27, 2010 7:39 PM
what is the big bright yellow and red lights on the top of the gauges? And what did you have to solder the led for?
Saturday, November 27, 2010 9:20 PM
ecotecpower wrote:IF I remember correctly the 95-99 are pretty easy to swap different gauges in, but the 00+ is a huge PITA with the way the computer sends out signals

I'm pretty sure you got that backwards.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search