Interior Center Console Swap - Page 2 - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Interior Center Console Swap
Wednesday, November 21, 2012 10:29 PM
It probably is not two hard, most cars have extra wires there. My 89 I relocated the hvac to the glove box with no issues. Pull it apart and check. I don't think gm would change wiring length just to move the radio and hvac. They swap them in almost every car every few years then swap back. It's a gm thing. Look it up.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.

Friday, November 23, 2012 9:05 AM
not that simple... while the wiring is long enough, the gapping and the mounts themselves in the dash are different. compare:

95-99 dash

00+
http://img2.netcarshow.com/Chevrolet-Cavalier_2000_800x600_wallpaper_0e.jpg

notice the huge difference between the two... the housings in which the radio and hvac sit are totally different sizes and as I stated for the other gentlemen asking about the sunfire, the hvac controls in 00+ cars are recessed quite a bit to make room for tall drinks the way they are positioned in the 00+ style center console. It will require swapping the whole dash to do the swap you are talking about. Ask yourself, is it really worth all that just for my radio to be up higher and my console to hold more soda? Just dont but the jumbo Mcfatty soda and just swapping the center console works just fine.

"Is that your exhaust or is that the sound of someone deflating a cat?"
Friday, November 23, 2012 11:22 PM
Rob E wrote:not that simple... while the wiring is long enough, the gapping and the mounts themselves in the dash are different. compare:

95-99 dash

00+
http://img2.netcarshow.com/Chevrolet-Cavalier_2000_800x600_wallpaper_0e.jpg

notice the huge difference between the two... the housings in which the radio and hvac sit are totally different sizes and as I stated for the other gentlemen asking about the sunfire, the hvac controls in 00+ cars are recessed quite a bit to make room for tall drinks the way they are positioned in the 00+ style center console. It will require swapping the whole dash to do the swap you are talking about. Ask yourself, is it really worth all that just for my radio to be up higher and my console to hold more soda? Just dont but the jumbo Mcfatty soda and just swapping the center console works just fine.

Jumbo McFatty soda clearance isn't my concern, despite the cup holder being garbage. It doesn't hold a drink firmly. The radio position is. I have to decide whether or not having a beverage is more important than radio control. And I'm a big music guy. Plus the radio in front of the shifter is stupid for convenience. And the previous owner totally spilled soda on the terribly positioned radio. HVAC controls are better to have down there. I'm probably going to replace the whole dash to fix this unless there's an easier way. Will it all bolt right in? And I'm assuming the gauge cluster will still work since the housing is the same size and everything, I believe.

Friday, November 23, 2012 11:25 PM
Double post. Plus, a double-din radio bay is better for aftermarket stereos. And I really don't need an ashtray.

Saturday, November 24, 2012 5:21 AM
I believe the clusters are diff 2k+ no? shorter/taller or something...and run thru the bcm for mileage etc..

Saturday, November 24, 2012 7:25 AM
2k+ are thinner.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Monday, November 26, 2012 12:32 AM
WHITECAVY wrote:2k+ are thinner.

Will the '98 cluster fit, or am I screwed?

Monday, November 26, 2012 12:41 PM
Not bolt right in no, but im sure when i was thinking of going to and older sunfire dash in my 2k i saw a few post via search about it being done. The other thing is the mileage and whatever else goes thru the BCM that wasnt there in 98.
And just fyi for any considering...a 97 gt console will not fit in a 2k cav ...unless you change the dash too.....without the cupholder piece in place i was pushing my dash up near a quarter of an inch after forcing the console into place so the holes lined up. that cupholder part is prolly another half inch...i.e aint gonna happen......extremely dissapointing((

Saturday, December 08, 2012 8:25 AM
can someone upload the pics of the bracket that needs to be changed.I haven't looked much but I removed the console in my 99 sunfire and Im going in a week or so to get the 2000+ console.
Saturday, December 08, 2012 9:23 PM
I have a 2002 z console in my 99 fire. If you pull your console out it is the one where the screw goes through the cup holder. It also bolts to the shifter so you need the whole piece out of the 00+
Monday, December 10, 2012 11:56 AM
yup thats the one i have. So i will need to swap to get the shifter set up?

Monday, December 10, 2012 2:50 PM
Are you 5 speed or auto? I run the 00+ shifter because of the getrag swap, how ever I believe the bracket will work with the auto shifter. It also may work with the 99 below 5 speed shifter but not positive. The bracket if I recall correctly with out pulling mine out slides over the front of the shifter base. Then the shifter base and bracket bolts to the two front studs. It is sort of shaped like a L but backwards with sort of a curve to it. Then it has a middle piece that it bolted on it with two bolts. You need both of them pieces. As for the back one I used the 99 if I remember right. One thing to note is the carpet in my j is cut at the very rear of the console a bit more then the size of the console. So you can see the metal if you look hard enough which I assume is based on the 99 below sunfire one being longer. Also make sure you get one with the cig lighter one the side and cut the plug off or you won't have a cig lighter.
Tuesday, December 11, 2012 12:00 PM
yeah looked at uit yesterday and got it figured out kinda. guess i gotta detach the shifter cables(five speed). well i shortened my shifter a while back so do you think i should keep that or switch to the cavalier shifter.Wasnt sure how the 2000+ boot would look with sunfire shifter lever shortened.
Tuesday, December 11, 2012 12:45 PM
well thanks for the tips and im prolly gonna reroute the cit lighter to somewhere else.
Tuesday, December 11, 2012 4:19 PM
Um not sure the shifter will work. 2000 plus uses a different shifter then the below. Where I'm 99 sunfire, v6 swapped, getrag, 00+ shifter cut down, cut down lockout piece to match, 00 plus console with matching boot.
Wednesday, December 12, 2012 12:47 PM
hmm guess i will have to find out and if it doesnt look right then go back to the scrap yard and swap in the cav shifter. should work though.
Wednesday, December 12, 2012 4:00 PM
if you're still running the isuzu tranny(95-99) the shifter assembly from the getrag(00+) will not connect to the isuzu shift cables.

Thursday, December 13, 2012 7:35 AM
im gonna leave sunfire shifter. just swapping console, the shifter boot and the brackets
Sunday, December 16, 2012 8:15 AM
Got my console for the 99 sunfire Friday. came from 2000+ cavalier. The windshield was busted so its gotta have some cleaning on it but its pretty sweet. Unfortunately it had the coin holder instead of power windows so im gonna go back and see if that 2000+ console in the auto cavalier had power windows cause I forgot to check. So I have a question though. So the bracket in the cavalier came out really easy cause it didn't have a full bottom piece like the sunfire. So I believe the shifter cables have to come off to take the bracket off the sunfire. Anyone tell me how to do that???
Monday, December 17, 2012 1:51 AM
The front getrag bracket, what you took off the 00+ has a slot at the base of it. All you should have to do is take the 4 bolts out of the shifter. Then lift it up, pull old bracket out around cables and then put the new one in. At the top of the bracket though as I recall there is a straight piece held to the bracket with 2 bolts. Where that straight piece is where the console screws would screw in. Just take the bolts out of the straight piece and which makes a slot to get it around the brackets. I believe that is how it is off my head or with out looking, it may have been the bottom part that goes over the shifter studs that had the slot in it. If asking about your old bracket it should be the same way I would think, I know when I swapped the 4 speed auto console bracket out for the 2000+ I never messed with the cables.
Monday, December 17, 2012 11:57 AM
I got the new bracket no prob. the old one doesnt have a slot at the bottom. i decided today im gonna lay a towel or something down and use a little hand saw and just cut the sunfire bracket so i can bolt down the 2000+ bracket and get my new console in instead of takeing a chance on brakeing shifter cables pins.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 8:01 AM
got the 2000+ console in the 99 five speed sunfire yesterday and it hangs a bit past the bulge in the floor where the shifter and everything is. cant think of what its called. but is it suppost to hang past it a bit. Was wondering if anyone else had this problem.???
Tuesday, December 18, 2012 11:51 AM
00 console is wider than your original.

Thursday, December 20, 2012 2:30 PM
oh ok. Was wondering if maby mybracket wasn't lined up good or anything. thanks for the info and tips people. console looks great. I got another armrest from the junkyard yesterday. The one on the console when I got it looked like it got stabbed
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search