cobalt steering wheel... revisited - Page 6 - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: cobalt steering wheel... revisited
Friday, November 11, 2011 6:15 PM
Any updates on the airbag system?

Saturday, June 09, 2012 6:26 AM
bump.....still curious about the airbag setup....only thing holding me back on this..
Monday, August 27, 2012 10:52 AM
Great work . . . reminds me why I like coming back to this site! Just picked up an '03 and was wanting to do this (I have to replace the whole dash from windshield to console anyways), and was looking to put this wheel on while in the process and here it is on the .org!

Really nice work - I think it turned out great.

Monday, August 27, 2012 11:25 AM
I see you said that the airbag doesn't work, but did you not bother trying or is it incompatible?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, August 28, 2012 2:45 AM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:I see you said that the airbag doesn't work, but did you not bother trying or is it incompatible?

I've gotten emails, PMs, facebook messages, etc about this.

When I do it, I'll post.

right now I'm busy trying to get the car back in one piece. When I get a chance to play with the electronics again, I will.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 3:43 AM
PJ so I assume you didn't get around to it yet.....buahahaha

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, August 30, 2012 8:12 PM
would it be as easy as getting the connector from a Cobalt and soldering it in in place of the one on the Cavalier?

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 10:23 AM
I saw a fully functioning cobalt steering wheel in a cavalier at the JCO bash this past month... looked great! He even got the steering wheel radio controls going.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Wednesday, September 05, 2012 8:19 AM
SweetnessGT wrote:I saw a fully functioning cobalt steering wheel in a cavalier at the JCO bash this past month... looked great! He even got the steering wheel radio controls going.

-Chris-

Find his ass and bring him here lol

Thursday, September 06, 2012 3:42 AM
...................my radio controls are working and have been working for a long time lol

the only thing up in the air is the airbag because I still haven't wired them up yet (the wire gauges are different so it's not as simple as splicing or de-pinning).

Thursday, September 06, 2012 5:08 AM
I believe itll come to having to find the different resistive loads of each stage and finding the one closest to our stock resistance values. Then offsetting those values with a resistor either in series or parallel depending on what value is needed.

If only I knew how to find the resistive value of the cobalt wheel without using a multimeter.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 9:53 AM
If you dont care about the lock that keeps the wheel from turning when the key is out, You are able to get the cobalt clockspring to mate up without an issue. Will post pic in update.
Thursday, October 25, 2012 6:04 PM
very curious to see how you did this.

my turn signal indicator and wiper control switches were directly in the way of the plug on the cobalt clockspring.

Thursday, October 25, 2012 6:14 PM
^^He prolly pulled the lock plate off is my guess?

Allowing it to sit back further.
Thursday, October 25, 2012 6:31 PM
Exactly so Philly. This allows the plugs to sit right on top of the switches
Thursday, October 25, 2012 6:55 PM
Brad Morrissette wrote:Exactly so Philly. This allows the plugs to sit right on top of the switches

you have enough room to plug into the clockspring even with the switches there?

hmm... very interesting. I may implement this depending on some other stuff because the sunfire clockspring only has 4 wires and 4 just isn't enough for the potential of the cobalt steering wheel =\

Friday, October 26, 2012 1:52 PM
Here are some frontal pics:

The stock cover fits without a problem. I will try to grab a pic of the back so that you can see what room you have to work with
Friday, October 26, 2012 2:04 PM
Okay here is the pic of the back so you can see the plugs. Had to take the pic with the front camera on my iTouch to get a usable angle.

I don't see why using stock cobalt plugs and the appropriate wiring for the Cav, that the wheel shouldn't become fully functional.
Friday, October 26, 2012 2:07 PM
Helps if I use the right pic

Friday, October 26, 2012 2:09 PM
The only reason that my install is workable, is due to the fact the the cobalt clockspring is not a tight fit on the steering shaft like the stock one is. This allows enough movement so that the plugs can be raised above the stock switches. Everything is then able to be buttoned up and look very stock, except that the wheel will not lock into place when the ignition is off.
Friday, October 26, 2012 10:13 PM
how different are the wire gauges for the air bags?

Saturday, October 27, 2012 6:02 AM
Wire gauges wouldnt dictate if they are the same resistance or not, Since the airbag system works on a total resistive load you have to have the right resistor range of airbag to make it work. Im going to try and find out the resistance of the cobalt bag. That alone will tell you what will work.
Saturday, October 27, 2012 6:42 AM
use high stage ignore low stage

look at the schematic on page 1 the stages are controled separatly by the modual it you can use 1 and it wont effect anything using 2 will effect the resistance. seeing as the cavalier bag modual only has 1 stage use one stage.

stage 2 is equal to the j body bag
gm put a lower speed in newer cars because theres no need to deploy a high speed in a low speed situation so low stage ingauges at low speed. if i remember when i ohmed these out both coils are the same resistance its based on the timeing signal from the air bag modual

you could use low and not high but if your in a high speed crash your not protected for it so on the side of safety use high speed

JBO since July 30, 2001
Monday, February 18, 2013 3:54 PM
how did you get your gauges like that? did yu get a whole new cluster? can you give me info? i would like to do this myself as i like the looks
Sunday, July 27, 2014 5:35 PM
What about making a spacer to go behind the Cobalt clock spring so it doesn't interfere with the Cavalier controls in the steering column?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search