Steering Column Swap - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Steering Column Swap
Wednesday, February 07, 2007 5:20 PM
On a scale of one to ten, how hard is it to change a steering column on an 01 Cav? I have my interior apart, and will be putting on an aftermarket steering wheel. I figure now would be a good time to swap my column for one with tilt. Problem is looking in my Haynes manual i have found absolutely nothing on removal of the steering column..... can anyone give me a step by step, or offer some insight? Thanx

Re: Steering Column Swap
Wednesday, February 07, 2007 5:36 PM
IDK for sure but I would imagine it would be just a couple bolts inside and then the linkage under the hood (which if I remember right, can be a pain). The only thing I would say you might need is a newer column cover because like IDK if you would have the cutouts in yours or not. O and then you prolly have to switch over your ignition cylinder and stuff.

Let somebody else chime in though too.

-Seth

Wednesday, February 07, 2007 10:03 PM
Ive done it numerous times but im a mechanic so no biggie for me.

For a newbie I give it a 3/10

Its really not hard, just take your time and unbolt everything. The only thing im concerned about with a newbie is the airbag system. Dont mess with it if you dont know what your doing.

Thursday, February 08, 2007 9:11 AM
not hard at all

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
5-spd

Friday, February 09, 2007 10:10 PM
there are two bolts under the dash that hold the column up....and 1 on this little swivel mini u joint and it just pulls right out i believe....its been a while but i did it and it came out fine
Saturday, February 10, 2007 4:32 PM
Like every one said above. It's very easy. 4 bolts under dash. then u can slide it out a little, unclip all the wires- should take no more then 30min to remove

Sunday, February 11, 2007 11:49 AM
If you have your interior out not too bad. I know where you can get a column with tilt. Also the Ecotec racks are a half a turn better.

FU Tuning

Sunday, February 11, 2007 1:06 PM
John Higgins wrote:If you have your interior out not too bad. I know where you can get a column with tilt. Also the Ecotec racks are a half a turn better.

wow i did not know that....is that better or worse ?
Sunday, February 11, 2007 1:24 PM
Freak04 wrote:
John Higgins wrote:If you have your interior out not too bad. I know where you can get a column with tilt. Also the Ecotec racks are a half a turn better.

wow i did not know that....is that better or worse ?

Well a better turn ratio so better.

FU Tuning

Friday, February 16, 2007 2:32 PM
Well thanks for the info, i plan to tackle it. one last question... does it have to be a 2000+ column, or will any column from 95 up work?

Thanx all

Saturday, March 03, 2007 9:18 AM
I'd be curious to know that as well. Or can a column from a 03-05 column be put in a 00 Cavi?

Also, Ignoring the warning about the airbag and deciding to do it anyways (pigheaded)....What advice do you have. I want to keep the stock wheel and preserve airbag function. Any tips or tricks or especially warnings? I read the FAQ about not using measuring equipment on the airbag. Is it not just plug and play?

Saturday, March 03, 2007 9:47 AM
Yea I really need to do this in my Sedan since it doesn't have it. If only I would remember that I need it when I'm at the yard. I guess to get the vin while I'm there to get a key cut to remove the ignition cylinder. Glad I worked/work at a dealership for another week... guess I really need to get that done before I leave.

Thursday, October 21, 2010 7:35 AM
bringing this back from the dead........but will a column from a 03-05 fit and wire up just as easily into a 99 i kno where i can get one and im considering it this weekend.

Friday, November 05, 2010 1:45 AM
Splines are different for the steering wheel on the 03-05... other than that, they're pretty much all the same.

Thursday, November 25, 2010 8:48 AM
Yea, should work just fine.

I went from the stock 04 M/T W/O Tilt to using a 98 A/T W/ Tilt column.

Like John said, the steering wheel has different splines, but the steering shaft where it connects to the rack is identical.

Thursday, November 25, 2010 9:02 AM

I did not know this. Something I should have done when the motor was out. I will be putting this on my list of mods though. Thanks for this info!

"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers"-Colin McRae
Sunday, November 28, 2010 7:08 AM
Quote:

If you have your interior out not too bad. I know where you can get a column with tilt. Also the Ecotec racks are a half a turn better.

Care to elaborate? I thought the Z24 racks where 2.5 turn lock to lock, and EVERYTHING else was 3 turn. Though I have invested very little into this...

Sunday, November 28, 2010 1:43 PM
OEM Part #'s

26068964 - 2004 2.2 DOHC

26068964 - 2001 2.4 DOHC

26068964 - 2001 2.2 OHV

26068967 / 26058681 - 1998 2.4 DOHC

26068964 - 1998 2.2 OHV

#26068967 / 26058681 w/Ride And Handling (FE2) 2 1/2 turns.
#26068964 w/Active Susp(FE0) or Soft Ride Susp(FE1) 2 3/4 turns.

Monday, November 29, 2010 12:47 PM
Thanks for the evidence, Teddy!

Monday, November 29, 2010 5:57 PM
Maybe a bit off topic - but what about swapping the column from a different GM car? Something like a G5 / G6 or Cobalt? Same procedure or is the rack different?

----

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 8:37 AM
Road To Change wrote:Maybe a bit off topic - but what about swapping the column from a different GM car? Something like a G5 / G6 or Cobalt? Same procedure or is the rack different?

I would like to know this as well

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 5:54 PM
Bump

I have a tilt column in my posession and Im looking to use it but can not figure out how to get the key lock cylinder out so I can use my key. I have read all the column swaps, but I havent seen where to swap out the key lock cylinders.

Thanks.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Tuesday, June 26, 2012 6:22 PM
There is a set screw holding the lock cylinder in
Tuesday, June 26, 2012 7:16 PM
Really? WTF lol, ok ill have to check again. Thx.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Tuesday, June 26, 2012 7:30 PM
Ethan wrote:I'd be curious to know that as well. Or can a column from a 03-05 column be put in a 00 Cavi?

Also, Ignoring the warning about the airbag and deciding to do it anyways (pigheaded)....What advice do you have. I want to keep the stock wheel and preserve airbag function. Any tips or tricks or especially warnings? I read the FAQ about not using measuring equipment on the airbag. Is it not just plug and play?

I have a 2001 cavalier and the only safety precautions that are listed are to remove the airbag fuse and unbolt your battery. Though I have never removed the fuse from the fuse panel and I've removed my air bags multiple times while doing my dash swap. No air bag deployments. lol

WHITECAVY wrote:Bump

I have a tilt column in my possession and I'm looking to use it but can not figure out how to get the key lock cylinder out so I can use my key. I have read all the column swaps, but I havent seen where to swap out the key lock cylinders.

Thanks.

You need the key to the cylinder lock you are trying to get out. Put the key in, turn it one notch and on the bottom of the cylinder there is a "tab", for lack of better word, that you need to push in. Of course unplug the theft system wires and it should pull right out. Then your new one should slide right in.

Philly D wrote:There is a set screw holding the lock cylinder in

??? Can you elaborate further on this?

2001 Cav Sedan LS - Work In Progress - Sunalier Status
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search