Digital Display Gages - Page 2 - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Digital Display Gages
Sunday, August 19, 2007 2:52 PM
oh i would definantly be in but like FreQ Z said tax time would be the time to ask again but i have wanted digital gauges for awhile so come time i am in.

"sometimes the respect is more important..."

Sunday, August 19, 2007 3:30 PM
I too would be interested around tax time.

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Wednesday, August 22, 2007 10:49 AM
Id be interested as well

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Wednesday, August 22, 2007 11:27 AM
Count on 1/8th of the people who want in to actually follow through with it once you need money.

" To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous. "
Wednesday, August 22, 2007 4:20 PM
Dave Dunsmoor wrote:Count on 1/8th of the people who want in to actually follow through with it once you need money.

Yeah, I know that happens. I'm sure that a good portion of people that plan on doing it at tax time will change their mind by then as well. It happens, and I'm not worried about it. I'm going through with getting it all priced out, and I'll probably make one to post. They would be on a special order basis anyway, requiring payment up front before I buy the parts, so it's not like I'm going to get a bunch of people commit, I order up the stuff to make a dozen of them, and I get stuck with them. Turn around time will be relatively quickly, though.

I'm going to make them reasonable enough that it won't be a huge difference between buying all the parts yourself, but it will be plug and play, which I believe will be of interest to a lot of guys. Plus it will have everything a stock cluster has, which none of the custom setups so far have.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 10:19 PM
Quiklilcav wrote:
Dave Dunsmoor wrote:Count on 1/8th of the people who want in to actually follow through with it once you need money.

Yeah, I know that happens. I'm sure that a good portion of people that plan on doing it at tax time will change their mind by then as well. It happens, and I'm not worried about it. I'm going through with getting it all priced out, and I'll probably make one to post. They would be on a special order basis anyway, requiring payment up front before I buy the parts, so it's not like I'm going to get a bunch of people commit, I order up the stuff to make a dozen of them, and I get stuck with them. Turn around time will be relatively quickly, though.

I'm going to make them reasonable enough that it won't be a huge difference between buying all the parts yourself, but it will be plug and play, which I believe will be of interest to a lot of guys. Plus it will have everything a stock cluster has, which none of the custom setups so far have.

All depends on what most folks want out of a custom setup. Some of the idiot lights I don't even need, hense the reason they were left out of the setup (ABS is disabled on my car, airbags are going to be removed rather than just unplugged, as far as low oil and low coolant levels, that's what eyes are for, etc. )

In any case, can't wait to see the prototype

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 2:57 PM
Well, I just got a cluster in the mail today to start with. Unfortunately, I won't be getting far on it before I have to go away for two months, so I probably won't be finishing it until November now, but I may bring it with me to work on here and there. I'm going to have a lot of time that I need to fill.

Just out of curiousity, what color should I make the prototype? I'd like to see some opinions. Amber, green, red, or blue?
I'm inclined to do blue, because I like it the most, but I'm curious what everyone else would like to see.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 3:06 PM
id be intrested as well..blue
Wednesday, August 29, 2007 3:18 PM
RED

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Thursday, August 30, 2007 2:52 PM
well there is always this option if you can read japaneese, wait 2 months to get it and have $3G to blow on gauges

clicky

many changes in the making
my favorite part about doing bodywork,.......... bondo bugers
Wednesday, December 05, 2007 2:06 PM
OK, well I've made some progress on this, and I'm in discussion with a company to have the circuit boards made for the actual face. I'm bouncing around a few different designs, and I figured I'd get some input.

For the tach, would people prefer a full 4 digit readout, or a shortened one with the "RPM X 100" below it (for example, 4500 RPMs would read 45).
For the main layout, I'm planning out having Speedo and Tach side by side in the middle, with the voltage and fuel on the left, and coolant temp on the right.
I would like to add oil pressure on the right, but I haven't figured out if the data is there for the pressure, or if the ECU just sends the signal for the idiot light to go on when pressure is low.

My other thought on layout would be either speedo or tach in the center, with the other offset to one side, and the other three gauges on the oposite side.

What are people's opinions here? Input is appreciated!

Friday, December 07, 2007 9:54 AM
have you tried contacting Cyberdyne directly I have dealt with them on a sponsoship basis they are amazing to deal with and the gauges are great

Saturday, December 08, 2007 2:14 PM
BuMmRz wrote:have you tried contacting Cyberdyne directly I have dealt with them on a sponsoship basis they are amazing to deal with and the gauges are great

I'm very familiar with the Cyberdyne gauges, and yes, they're very nice. However, for a few reasons, I am not dealing with them. Mostly a cost issue, but since I'm also designing a complete drop-in circuit for the cluster, I'm pretty sure that either A) they wouldn't be interested in such a project, or B) they would be wanting to make it a Cyberdyne product.

I'm waiting on some news from the prototype shop and if all goes well, I'm hoping to have a few prototypes sometime in February. Here is a shot of the design I'm thinking of going with. Again, still working on determining if there is a signal for oil pressure, or just an on/off signal for the warning light, but if the actual pressure signal exists in the data stream, I'll put that gauge at the bottom right. I'd like some input on the design. Just for perspective, this will be right where the current gauges are. The factory warning light panels will be left alone for the moment.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Criticisms?

Saturday, December 08, 2007 2:32 PM
That looks awsome..... although I would change H2O Level to Coolant Level...

I'm really curiouse to know how high the speedo will go.... If you make them with at least a 140mph speedo.... that might help sell them since those of us with earlier 3rd gens have a hard time getting clusters that go over 110mph...

Will the tach change colors when you approach and hit redline?

Also..... would these be for sunfires too.... or just Caveliers?

Saturday, December 08, 2007 2:39 PM
^^ Digital gauges usually go up to the following:

199, 255, or 999

bummrz, that's just sick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, December 08, 2007 2:42 PM

Saturday, December 08, 2007 2:49 PM
Weebel wrote:That looks awsome..... although I would change H2O Level to Coolant Level...

I'm really curiouse to know how high the speedo will go.... If you make them with at least a 140mph speedo.... that might help sell them since those of us with earlier 3rd gens have a hard time getting clusters that go over 110mph...

Will the tach change colors when you approach and hit redline?

Also..... would these be for sunfires too.... or just Caveliers?

I do plan on making the speedo go higher, but that's going to require some modding to the main board. Hopefully simple, but I haven't looked into that yet. Keep in mind that what I'm going to be doing is modding clusters. I've considered many options in approach to this, and I believe the way I'm doing it will be not only the most cost effective, but the most reliable long term. When I get this going, an order will have a core charge to it for the factory cluster.

As far as the tach changing colors, I've considered that, but if I did, it would be installing different LEDs above the redline, which would mean it would not be adjustable. I'll see if I can find dual color rectangular LEDs and make the circuit adjustable, but let me tell you, finding the right LEDs wasn't easy, especially matching the color wavelength to the readout. I will be making them for Sunfires as well. They will be available in 4 colors: red, green, yellow, and blue. I just make my mockups and prototypes in blue cause I like it.

Thanks for the input. I'm looking for as much as possible.

Saturday, December 08, 2007 4:12 PM
very interesting.

SATCH PROGRESS THREAD!!!

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Alexis: Dustin, you're ghey, lol. I am better. I have tits, and tits rule all.
Saturday, December 08, 2007 4:34 PM
i would love to have one, i'd say in red to match the stock lights in the fire, keep me updated sir cause i'm definitely interested

hop on in i've got a J
Monday, December 10, 2007 7:03 AM
Quiklilcav wrote:
BuMmRz wrote:have you tried contacting Cyberdyne directly I have dealt with them on a sponsoship basis they are amazing to deal with and the gauges are great

I'm very familiar with the Cyberdyne gauges, and yes, they're very nice. However, for a few reasons, I am not dealing with them. Mostly a cost issue, but since I'm also designing a complete drop-in circuit for the cluster, I'm pretty sure that either A) they wouldn't be interested in such a project, or B) they would be wanting to make it a Cyberdyne product.

I'm waiting on some news from the prototype shop and if all goes well, I'm hoping to have a few prototypes sometime in February. Here is a shot of the design I'm thinking of going with. Again, still working on determining if there is a signal for oil pressure, or just an on/off signal for the warning light, but if the actual pressure signal exists in the data stream, I'll put that gauge at the bottom right. I'd like some input on the design. Just for perspective, this will be right where the current gauges are. The factory warning light panels will be left alone for the moment.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Criticisms?

that looks great! if it works with a 99 and older J and i wasn't broke i'd be all over that.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Monday, December 10, 2007 10:51 AM
I like what you have come up with so far. What about a cluster without a tach??? It may look weird mixing digital and analog, but I like where my 3" monster tach is

Jason
99 Z24 Supercharged
157hp/171tq - NA
LD9 for Life
Monday, December 10, 2007 4:40 PM
BoltZ DesignZ wrote:that looks great! if it works with a 99 and older J and i wasn't broke i'd be all over that.

Well I can help you with one part. It will work on 95-99's. That will be the first model available. For the broke part, I can't help there.
Blwn LD9 wrote:I like what you have come up with so far. What about a cluster without a tach??? It may look weird mixing digital and analog, but I like where my 3" monster tach is

I'm looking at a couple of different possibilities from the standpoint of internal design, but it may be a possibility. I might make the guts completely modular to facilitate fitting into other clusters, so that would mean deleting a tach would be possible. Stay tuned. I will update as I get further into the PCB design.

Thursday, December 13, 2007 10:12 AM
OK, well I just got off the phone with the company I'm working with, and we're going to be having a conference call within the next week with the electronic engineer involved, and we'll be hammering out all the details about the PCB design.

I'm leaning toward a modular setup entirely, so that would give a decent amount of options, including placement (for example, if you wanted the tach in the middle, the speedo off to the side, you could do that.

I'm also talking to them about making tinted lenses for the cluster. Just curious if people would rather see a tinted lens over the whole cluster (this would replace the clear lens on there now), or still retain the clear factory lens and just have the gauge area black? If I go with the latter, people who have painted their bezels would still have that, but the gauge face would be replaced with a gloss blackout panel, and also matching gloss blackout for the wings with the warning lights. Keep in mind this is talking about Cavalier and 00+ Fire clusters. The 95-99 Sunfire clusters would just be one gloss blackout panel, since they do not have the bezel.

Guys, please keep the comments and suggestions coming. I'd like as much input as possible.

Sunday, December 16, 2007 5:10 PM
Those are really great looking. I was gonna make my own setup, but seeing this I'm absolutely interested.

Question: How could this work for a 3400 swap?

Monday, December 17, 2007 4:50 AM
im somewhat intrested shawn. ive been thinking about going digital for a while but to be honest havn't wanted to deal with the wiring, i absolutly hate wiring which sucks since i love audio lol. the digital faces ive always liked have been compltly black when u look at them as if no gauges are there, and then u turn the car on and they light up i think those make the neatest effect.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Monday, December 17, 2007 4:50 AM
Dark Fusion wrote:Those are really great looking. I was gonna make my own setup, but seeing this I'm absolutely interested.

Question: How could this work for a 3400 swap?

Currently, these are being configured to work exactly as factory units, but I will look at ways to make them adaptable.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search