Convertible carpet replacement - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Convertible carpet replacement
Saturday, February 14, 2009 7:02 AM
Does anyone know if theres a difference in the carpet between a coupe and convertible?

Re: Convertible carpet replacement
Saturday, February 14, 2009 7:19 AM
no there isnt
Saturday, February 14, 2009 7:34 AM
james goff wrote:no there isnt

and you say this because its a fact? your wrong ..

the convertible carpets ARE in fact different.. because of all the bracing in a vert the carpets are actuall smaller width wise and length wise. there isnt much of a curve at the rear seat area because of the extra bracing. also the bracing at the thresh hold is much thicker, and also doesnt curve as much as a coupes.

Saturday, February 14, 2009 7:50 AM
AZ24Ncav wrote:the convertible carpets ARE in fact different.

True fact. On the upside, carpet kits for the convertibles show up on eBay from time to time and installation is aided by the fact that you can drop the top and gain some room to work.

Saturday, February 14, 2009 8:09 AM
FACT

Quote:

the convertible carpets ARE in fact different.. because of all the bracing in a vert the carpets are actuall smaller width wise and length wise. there isnt much of a curve at the rear seat area because of the extra bracing. also the bracing at the thresh hold is much thicker, and also doesnt curve as much as a coupes.

AND FACT
Quote:

On the upside, carpet kits for the convertibles show up on eBay from time to time and installation is aided by the fact that you can drop the top and gain some room to work.

"The FACTS are always subject to CHANGE once the TRUTH is applied"
"In the entire history of man the only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked"
Wednesday, August 04, 2010 6:37 PM
Ok, here is the real question, could I make the coupe or sedan carpet work? My car flooded and the 12 year old carpet is hardly worth saving. If not I will probably spray in bedliner until I can find a suitable carpet replacement. (I'm afraid to see what it would cost from the dealership).

Sig'less since '02!
Wednesday, August 04, 2010 6:44 PM
ebay bro ... im sure you can trim it down. just wont fit like a glove.

Thursday, August 05, 2010 1:12 AM
If you live in or around chicago, I know where U can go and get vert carpeting from a yard.

Thursday, August 05, 2010 8:12 AM
1of7627 (Mark) wrote:
AZ24Ncav wrote:the convertible carpets ARE in fact different.

True fact. On the upside, carpet kits for the convertibles show up on eBay from time to time and installation is aided by the fact that you can drop the top and gain some room to work.

Avoid the ebay stuff: they won't fit properly; no aftermarket carpet manufacturer (including AAC and Trimparts) makes a 3rd Gen sized convertible carpet (Trimparts catalogs 'em, but their listing is erroneous, what they ship you is a carpet molded from a coupe pan, which per points made earlier will not fit).

Bottom line: the only replacement carpets that are accurately sized for our convertibles are the expensive (and possibly no longer available) OEM ones from GM.
Thursday, August 05, 2010 8:41 AM
I guess I'll call the dealership. I may try to pull a coupe or sedan from the junkyard and see if it can be modified first though.

Sig'less since '02!
Thursday, August 05, 2010 11:27 AM
acc's carpets arent coupe specific even though theyre listed that way? odd...never knew that. but def no not the same...the floor plan in the verts are a bit more "shallow" than the coupes due to the extra bracing.

Sunday, August 08, 2010 9:36 AM
ive still yet to order from the guy on ebay, i had him digging and he came back to me with one of his vendors say no to one saying yes they have a seperate mold for verts.
Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:36 PM
I bought one one ebay, I will let you know if it fits or not.

Sig'less since '02!
Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:45 PM
let me know how it works out too! im looking for new carpet for mine.

Friday, August 20, 2010 9:11 AM
also watching
Friday, August 20, 2010 11:02 AM
I bought one from Ebay years ago, to find out it didn't fit properly. For all the reasons everyone has already listed...

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 2:51 AM
How well does the carpet die acutally hold up?? I have great carpet in my vert, I just hate the gold color and want it black. I wonder how the carpet die holds up after time. Any info on this??

Wednesday, September 01, 2010 3:03 PM
so did ya get it?
Wednesday, September 01, 2010 5:23 PM
It is really close, just a small bunch up at the rear floor pan on the driver side. It may be the way I put it in. I will adjust more this weekend and see if I can tweak it. It doesnt have the rubberized backing like the stock has. Even if I can't get it perfect, it is a big improvement over my carpet that was flooded.

Sig'less since '02!
Sunday, September 26, 2010 6:31 AM
you have pics of this install?
Wednesday, October 06, 2010 6:20 PM
I'll try to get it this weekend, I had some flood damage from the rains last week and am dealing with that right now. Hopefully I will be a total pic whore this weekend.

Rick

Sig'less since '02!

Monday, October 10, 2011 3:48 PM
Back from the dead, sorry. I know many people have said there are zero 3rd party convertible carpets on the market but i came across this on eBay and figured I'd see if anyone has purchased and test fitted this seller. It just seems odd to me they would advertise with specifics if it was the wrong item...

Ebay Carpet
Wednesday, October 26, 2011 5:24 PM
Thats the same seller i was talking to.
Friday, November 11, 2011 2:02 PM
Same one I bought from. Doesn't fit a convertible as perfectly as it should... it's a very thin carpet which can be made to work, but it's not quite right. There's also no padding on the back.

I ended up using a coupe carpet from the wrecker's for the sound damping, cut all to hell... then used the thin crap Ebay carpet for colour on top. But it's not right.

They clearly know nothing about J-body cars. There was no 01 or 02 model year J-body convertible.

Monday, November 14, 2011 9:58 AM
That is disappointing to hear, I would love to throw new carpet in the car. It would make it look brand new again…thank for the info.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search