SliMMaTiC's Official Widebody Thread - Page 2 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: SliMMaTiC's Official Widebody Thread
Wednesday, July 11, 2007 10:02 AM
All I have to say is if you stick with that design for the rear, cut off the rear bumper, curve the trunk lid into the design and never look back! Give it that sick C5-C6 rear look!

Keep up the good work man. Hows that foam doing against the fiberglass? Gettin eaten apart?? I bet! Don't let it get the best of you! Keep at it!

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 1:53 PM
Thanks for all the comments guy. I knew in the back of my mind that I would end up making a better mold of the fender, but I guess I just needed you guys to actually make me do it.

Quiklilcav - I haven't really thought about the tails yet. I figured once I actually had a bumper design and did a photoshop of it, I would being messing around with different tail lights. I first need to order some two part foam so I can start shaping the rear.

RaGiN Z (the fake 05) - Yeah, I'm looking forward to getting started on the bumper. As far as the foam, I am not actually glassing over it, just using it to get the shape. I make the mold from the body, and then will place the mold over the foam when I am actually attaching the mold to the car, then remove the foam.

--

So I decided to remove the mold of the front bumper last night. It took me about 2 hours and was a major PITA, but I got it off. The bumper was a mess from all of that masking tape. I guess I will not be using just straight masking tape again.

Three hours and 3 bottles of Goo Gone later I had the bumper all cleaned up.

I reinstalled the bumper. I plan to cover it, place the mold back on, patch up the cracked areas and continue adding glass until it is strong enough on its own.

As for the fender I decided to try something else. I got freezer paper (like wax paper but glossy on one side), taped that to the fender, then put masking tape over it. I figure this way nothing will actually stick to the fender, and the tape will be easy to remove from the back of the mold.

I'm pretty busy the next few days, and have a wedding this weekend, so I do not know the I will have time to work on it again. I need to order some more supplies though, so I guess it will give them time to ship.

Wide Body Progress

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 6:32 PM
looks good must be everyone else that read vince's thread is doing wide body on their cars to

but mine is a sedan
Friday, July 13, 2007 8:53 PM
Well, I covered the bumper with a mixture of wax freezer paper and tin foil, then put the mold back on it. It now has 3-4 layers of glass on it. I have a wedding tomorrow, but hopefully I can work on it some more Sunday.

Wide Body Progress

Friday, July 20, 2007 5:50 PM
Got some packages in the mail today...

I can't believe how much better this resin is than bondo brand. Thinner, longer work time. And using a roller makes a big difference in the smoothness.

Got both molds off of the rear panels, so adding some extra layers on the inside for strength. I have a wedding tomorrow, but will hopefully get some more done Sunday.

Wide Body Progress

Friday, July 20, 2007 8:28 PM
That's a lot of progress in only a few days!

Friday, July 20, 2007 9:38 PM
i was think the same thing!!

GOT ECOTEC?
Friday, July 20, 2007 11:53 PM
Being a body man, the only advice I can give is to start over the right way before it is too late.
Rather than fiberglassing onto tape to make molds, you should be using aluminum foil and a spray adhesive (lightly) to make the molds. They key to actually completing a project like this is to make the molds as perfect as possible so you have less work to do. When you start using body filler, let it cure to the point where it is still warm/soft to the touch and use a heavy (50ish grit) sandpaper to lightly form it. That will take away all the high burrs and make it easier to get rid of high spots. You should also work on how smooth you apply it..... remmber to block sand to avoid waves.
Good luck.

Cardomain|Myspace

Saturday, July 21, 2007 8:12 AM
Small update... got up early before the wedding this morning, laid tinfoil down on the sideskirt and did the first few layers of glass. Hopefully this mold will come off easier than the others with masking tape. Gonna add a few more layers tomorrow after I get back.

Wide Body Progress

Saturday, July 21, 2007 11:02 AM
I PMed yoyu back before checking the thread.
The sideskirts look GREAT. You definately have the right idea now for making molds.

Cardomain|Myspace

Saturday, July 21, 2007 11:28 AM
use 2" blue painters tape, it comes off alot easier

Saturday, July 21, 2007 2:42 PM
^^^^ Totally, I have abou 30 rolls of it in my garage for body work.
Sticks better to dirty surfaces too.

Cardomain|Myspace

Sunday, July 22, 2007 8:23 AM
M I N I O N - Sinbird - Thanks a lot for the pm. When I started I had a vague idea of what I needed to do, and jumped into it. I've been learning from my mistakes since then. Obviously, the masking tape molds did not work out too well. Also, Bondo brand resin was not the greatest. Between using your advice for the molds, and using quality resin from US Composites, I am very happy will the progress on the skirts thus far. Thanks for all of your help, and I'm sure this won't be the last pm from me.

Z2FLIP4 - I plan on using blue tape in the future. When I started I figured I would make mistakes, and masking tape is much cheaper, so I figure I would make mistakes with that.

Got up and left the hotel early this morning after the wedding, so I'm planning on getting a decent day in today. Hopefully I'll have more pics tonight.

Wide Body Progress

Sunday, July 22, 2007 8:51 AM
cant wait to see more updates

Sunday, July 22, 2007 10:16 AM
b00sTeD4FuN wrote:cant wait to see more updates

Then stop over and give me a hand, it'll go faster...

Wide Body Progress

Sunday, July 22, 2007 12:13 PM
z2flip4 - Its good to see you bro!

Everytime I look at your members page it makes me cry a lil bit inside... :-(

Sunday, July 22, 2007 4:05 PM
Well, I've got about 4 layers on the driver side sideskirt. I'm still amazed how much better it is using tinfoil, and how great this resin is. It will make my job MUCH easier when I get to the sanding stage.

I also got 4 layers on the driver side fender. It is a little smoother this time.

My birthday is next Saturday, so I decided I would treat myself to a few days off of work. So I will have Wednesday/Thursday/Friday of this week off, and will hopefully make a lot of progress!

Wide Body Progress

Monday, July 23, 2007 11:24 AM
Just a question more then anything but why did you create the exact bumper you have only in fiberglass? you can mould fiberglass to polyurethane

Monday, July 23, 2007 2:18 PM
BuMmRz wrote:Just a question more then anything but why did you create the exact bumper you have only in fiberglass? you can mould fiberglass to polyurethane

I was under the impression that you could not do this. If you can, please explain.

Wide Body Progress

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 5:53 PM
Well, after adding a few more layers and letting it cure, I removed the drivers side sideksirt. Oh how easy it came off with the tinfoil! I love it!

I then removed the sideskirt, only to find a mess of rust.

So I will either need to learn how to weld or find someone locally who can fix this for me.

I just laid a few of the pieces together to get an idea of the design. It was getting dark, but you can get an idea.

Wide Body Progress

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 6:04 PM
SliMMaTiC (Tom Sylvester) wrote:
BuMmRz wrote:Just a question more then anything but why did you create the exact bumper you have only in fiberglass? you can mould fiberglass to polyurethane

I was under the impression that you could not do this. If you can, please explain.

its doable, but its a beotch. I think your best bet is to continue what your doing. Glass really doesn't bond well to urithane, trust me I know in molding my urithane skirts to the body of it. You have to use a fusor or panel bond over the urithane, and then the glass on top of that. Its really the only way for there to be a good bond. Urithane changes in temp diff then glass too(expands in size). Over time this would crack.

to save yourself from headaches, make yourself the mold from glass~ That way if you break the bumper you can fix it toohaha!

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 3:52 PM
wow....holy rust batman!
but its lookin good so far. keep it up. im interested to see the final look of the rear as well

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 5:15 PM
Got some more glassing done today.

Glassed the bottom of the sideskirt now that it is off the car. So much easier when you are not fighting gravity.

Also started glassing the passenger fender and added a few more layers to the driver's side fender, which should almost be done.

Wide Body Progress

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 9:12 PM
looking good man

www.cardomain.com/id/pondsz24
Wednesday, August 01, 2007 11:49 PM
jnickel wrote:wow....holy rust batman!
x2!! i hope you can get that fixed! looks good so far, keep up the good work man

RIP JessE -- You are not forgotten! | FaceBook | G+
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search