SliMMaTiC's Official Widebody Thread - Page 3 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: SliMMaTiC's Official Widebody Thread
Monday, August 06, 2007 9:09 AM
any updates?

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 2:42 PM
the lemur wrote:any updates?

Not many. Added a few more layers of glass to the fenders. I'v been really busy at work the last few weeks. This weekend I have a three day training course, and next weekend I am going on vacation. I will try to get some work in in between all of this, and get some new pics up.

I am also trying to figure out what I am going to do about the rust. Suggestions are appreciated.

Wide Body Progress

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 3:29 PM
isn't there a spray that turns rust into primer? not sure but that's my idea

http://www.myspace.com/fpsunfire
5 seconds to find another street...
Tuesday, August 07, 2007 6:53 PM
fpz24 (Akira) wrote:isn't there a spray that turns rust into primer? not sure but that's my idea

yes but no.... its junk, only seems to work on surface rust and doesn't penetrate into the deeper more troublesome areas. You best bet is to cut it off. If its gonna be under the kit who cares what it looks like. Cut it, seal it, call it a day.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 6:57 PM
i'm with ragin z-chop it out, weld up a new piece then go about your widebody. like he said, no one's going to see it. it'll be underneath the fiberglass.

Friday, August 17, 2007 3:27 PM
wow man props to you. am currently trying to paint my door panels.
i sanded it down with 180 than 400, cleaned, primed. i waited 30 min and spray painted a glossy charcoal gray. came out spotty and some scratches showing.
after reading your sticky i think i will sand it all down and re-do. but am thinking i can just sand the current paint with a 400 again, smooth it and layer another coat of spray paint?

Saturday, August 25, 2007 9:03 AM
Update?

Sunday, August 26, 2007 7:48 AM
fpz24 (Akira) - Yeah there is, but this is some serious rust. It has penetrated the metal, so the piece will need to be removed.

RaGiN Z (the fake 05) - Yeah, that is what I will be doing. I just need to find someone who can weld it for me. And the only problem with that is most of it will be under the kit, but a small section in the corner will be shown, so I need to make sure whoever welds in the piece does a decent job.

Spalattero - Shoot me a pm if you need help with anything.

--

Well, the last few weeks I have been really busy, but I have squeezed in some time to work on the car. Not much to update as far as pictures go, but I have added several more layers to the fenders, and along the underside of the driver side sideskirt. I will be starting the passenger side sideskirt soon (probably this week).

The whole rust problem has kind of held me up the past few weeks as well. I need to start looking around to see who can weld in some new metal for me.

At some point I will be getting expanding foam and start to build the rear. I did a quick pic of what I kind of want the rear to look like. Comments appreciated.

Wide Body Progress

Sunday, August 26, 2007 7:57 AM
what kind of tail lights? r32?

Sunday, August 26, 2007 8:14 AM
Look corvette to me!

Sunday, August 26, 2007 10:25 AM
make sure ths side skirt is going to fit properly before you try and put any more layers on it.
looks to me that its sagging in the middle how you have it sitting. but good progress lots of work ahead this is the easy part.

all show, stock go
in the making

Sunday, August 26, 2007 10:38 AM
Looking good!! Keep us posted

Sunday, August 26, 2007 12:11 PM
i will. i'll post some pics of it later. am taking my time with sanding it. just need to clean it with a cleaner or just some soap&water.

off topic question: why is my signature not working? i uploaded it on photobucket.com and pasted the HTML TAG CODE??

Sunday, August 26, 2007 4:47 PM
damn somebody else with one of my ideas , this being a little different is hard i was talking to a body man a few days ago about corvette taillights in my 02 sunfire , yours is coming along nicely though keep us updated

Monday, August 27, 2007 5:47 AM
spalattero - wrong code, its the bottom code under your pic in photobucket

slimmatic - http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=6&i=140407&t=140407#140407

Thursday, August 30, 2007 1:02 PM
where can you buy the rubbing alcohol and wax remover/stripper??

Thursday, August 30, 2007 1:56 PM
get r done, lol

can't wait to see it done

http://www.myspace.com/fpsunfire
5 seconds to find another street...
Thursday, August 30, 2007 2:14 PM
yeah i'd definatly find a diffrent way of supporting your sideskirt or your quickly going to find it badly out of shape.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Saturday, September 01, 2007 1:37 PM
The taillights are from a vette. I am planning on making the rear end look like a C6, but I'm not 100% on the design yet since the rear end will take a lot of work to accomplish this. Once I finish making the rest of the molds, I plan to get some expanding foam and start shaping the rear bumper. I'm assuming I will need to reshape the trunk as well, so I will worry about that once I am done with the rest of the pieces.

RaGiN Z (the fake 05) - Thanks for that link. I'm sure it will come in handy.

2tonecav & sndsgood - The slight curve in the sideskirt is the curve that it had when it was mounted on the car. I glassed the skirt while it was still attached. I just added layers to the bottom off the car. As you can see in the pics, I fitted the mold on the car and it fits fine.

--

Added a few more layers of glass to the driver side sideskirt, let it cure and trimmed it up.

Placed it on the car to see what is looks like thus far.

From this pic you can see how most of the underlying panel will be covered by the new piece, but there will be a small corner still left showing.

I am waiting on getting another fiberglass roller before I start glassing the passenger sideskirt.

Wide Body Progress

Saturday, September 01, 2007 11:32 PM
work looks great man, but again as piparo said, that driver side quarter panel looks really bad, it'll be impossible to get smooth. keep up the motivation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Saturday, September 29, 2007 1:29 PM
im loving this wide body alot any updates on the sexy thing

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=108174799

Saturday, September 29, 2007 5:05 PM
wow, ur chop looks like....... my car lol

keep up the good work

Sunday, September 30, 2007 12:56 PM
Updates FTW
Monday, October 01, 2007 2:55 PM
No updates right now, but I will try to get some soon. I've been really busy lately with other things.

Wide Body Progress

Saturday, October 06, 2007 5:37 AM
back to page 1...
hows this project been coming this week...anything new?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search