SliMMaTiC's Official Widebody Thread - Page 4 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: SliMMaTiC's Official Widebody Thread
Saturday, October 06, 2007 3:39 PM
x2

Saturday, October 06, 2007 4:41 PM
X2 what u talkin bout!

X3! Get 2 work! Tho, who am I to talk, I haven't worked on my datsun in 3 wks. Tho I work a minumum of 70 hrs a week and am trying to work on my house at the same time!

Sunday, October 07, 2007 2:24 PM
^^^Jnickels Comment lol

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 7:32 AM
Any updates? This post kind of dropped off. What's going on with the car lately?

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 1:59 PM
Not too many updates lately. I've had my time/money tied up in other things (getting married next year and purchasing some investment properties).

Since my garage is not heated, I do not know how much work I will be doing this winter. I will try to get some work in here and there to keep things moving along.

Wide Body Progress

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 2:16 PM
i got a kerosene heater for my tent and it works great, just be sure you're in a well ventilated area. i personally didn't have any luck with electric heaters but i think that's what geeds use to use.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 3:06 PM
If you've got decent electrical service to your garage, you can get an in-wall 220V forced hot air heater for about $150 from Home Depot. I put two of them in my garage and they work pretty good, even before I got all the insulation in.

Thursday, November 22, 2007 5:48 PM
Thanks for the recommendations guys. We bought the house last March and I was hoping to insulate and finish off the garage before winter, but ti looks like that will have to wait until next year.

It would be nice to pick up a heater and get some work done this winter.

Wide Body Progress

Friday, November 23, 2007 6:59 AM
Not to sound like a cheap ass or anything but I have a kerosene heater that I use to heat my house! Its the same one John has to heat his tent/garage... At 23000 BTU and $30 in fuel that can last two weeks, its well worth it. Its clean burning and when I turn it off I throw it in the bathroom with the exhaust fan running so it doesn't stink up the house.

That's right bitches, I heat my house with kero! I'm white and I'm proud! Hahahahaha!

it does a better faster cheaper job than my baseboard system that's in the house! When I go to work on my car this winter, you can be damn sure that it will be in there burning 20 minutes b4 I am! Its really something to consider!

I think I paid 110 for it at walmart...

Friday, November 23, 2007 8:37 AM
Hey, I'm all for inexpensive ways of heating. Here in the STL area, they did a report not too long ago on a local that uses Corn to heat his house. The Gas company tried to say that there was something wrong with his gas meter because he was barely spending any money, each month, on gas.

Anyways, love what you're doing with the car!

SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saturday, November 24, 2007 9:13 AM
It looks like your turning into the new Toyota FTHS...Am I right???

Sunday, November 25, 2007 3:54 AM
Thomas Corcoran wrote:It looks like your turning into the new Toyota FTHS...Am I right???

That is one of the vehicles that inspired me.

Wide Body Progress

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 5:26 PM
So it's been a while. I didn't work on the car at all this winter since my garage is not heated, but now that it is warming up I have started working on it again. Here are a few picks of me starting on the passenger side skirt.

More updates to follow.

Wide Body Progress

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 9:24 PM
wow.... thats gonna b a looooooot of sanding.... what did you ever end up doing about the rust?

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 3:50 AM
RaGiN Z (the fake 05) wrote:wow.... thats gonna b a looooooot of sanding.... what did you ever end up doing about the rust?

I have a friend that is going to weld in some new metal in those sections.

Wide Body Progress

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 6:26 AM
Looks good lots of progress cant wait to see it finished

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 2:38 PM
glad to see this didn't become another big project that just got scrapped. sucks that you couldn't work on it over the winter. can't wait to see it really start coming together throughout the next couple months though

Thursday, May 15, 2008 3:00 PM
Well, had a little bit of time tonight to spend on this.

I realized that with the quarter panels being wider I would need to do something to that the non widebody part did not look so funny. I am not sure what I will be doing yet, but I started glassing a crossed the door in preparation for something to fix this.

Getting a little better with the smoothness. I need to order another roller...

Wide Body Progress

Thursday, May 15, 2008 3:16 PM
2x
Friday, May 16, 2008 5:59 PM
Well, I added a couple more layers to the pieces along the door, as well as to the backsides of both quarter panels.

Wide Body Progress

Friday, May 16, 2008 6:15 PM
that looks like a bitch. lol
glad to see progress tho

Thursday, May 22, 2008 4:51 PM
Well, after a piece more layers I popped off the piece along the door and the front fender. Then put some spacers on the front fender to see how it would look.

Wide Body Progress

Sunday, May 25, 2008 5:22 PM
Keep it up Brother!!!!!

Wednesday, July 09, 2008 5:42 PM
Well, unfortunately it has been a while since I had time to work on the car. I freed up some time today and began work again.

I cut out some bad spots on the front bumper and redid the fiberglass (like where the turn signal goes and a few of the corners). I am getting much better and laying it smooth. I also did some fiberglassing on the passenger side quarter panel and the passenger side fender.

Let me know what you think. The shape is starting to come together a little better.

Wide Body Progress

Wednesday, July 09, 2008 6:58 PM
I was beginning to wonder what was goin on. Funny how a lot of these posts went up in a short amount of time and I only know of two that were keeping up with the progress. Sykeeok and cavelica. Glad to see you got back into it. I have been really excited to see what YOU have planned for the rearend! I really liked the no bumper idea.

What I wanna know is why more people aren't using sheet metal. I will have to find that post on hybridz where the guy cut his body panel out and welded in 2-3 inches of metal then reattached it. Obviously you could reshape and do something else but it would probably help with the weight and time! Metal working is becoming a lost art tho. With the right tools tho and a some real thought into it, you might be able to create something crazy! If you think about it. Fiberglass fenders and stock fenders don't weigh all that much different! I can't even notice a weight difference at all. That's with fenders that have been molded and don't have anymore than 3 layers (most likely).

Ok now I am rambling on and thinking out loud again...

Good work, keep it up! Progress progress progress!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search