Northstar V8 cavalier - Page 6 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Northstar V8 cavalier
Monday, March 24, 2008 6:42 AM
1997ztwo4 wrote:i am hoping for 5 smiles per gallon.

Anybody notice the 'S'? Now, if we assume that's a typo, it's ironically suitable. If it's not, than it went over a lot of peoples heads. Either way, I'm sure you'll get far more than five SMILES per gallon

DroptopPaul wrote:so he won't be let down when he gets over 5....come on, he swapped a v8 into a cavalier....he obviously didn't care about economy, lol

Agreed times a million.

DroptopPaul wrote:this car should be fairly efficient though, I suspect he will be able to achieve similar mileage to stock, assuming he can keep his foot out of it (thats the real key)

Yeah... okay... that's going to happen. I don't think anybody could ever keep their foot out of a V8 Cavalier

Monday, March 24, 2008 7:01 AM
Any videos yet? I am dying to hear this thing

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Monday, March 24, 2008 7:42 AM
I didn't catch the smiles either haha

Monday, March 24, 2008 8:34 AM
this better be at the bash... i want to drool....

I'll eventually take the time to put something here. I swear.
Monday, March 24, 2008 9:13 AM
Go. Stop- you caught that eh, i was hoping someone would. I actually couldnt care less what kind of mileage it gets since it is by no means daily transportation

QBE- That makes 2 of us dying to hear it run, but all that small details and fabrication of small brackets and such makes this part of the project seem painstakingly slow- always almost there but never quite.

As for the AWD, things like this cross my mind but i want to spend a lot of time driving the car this year so that puts it a little out of the scope of this years build due to possible driveability issues and a rather tight time frame.

_

Now with northstar V8, IRS, 20's n 22's
Monday, March 24, 2008 9:52 AM
Hmmmm like 5 pages of text with no pictures is making me angry......

Monday, March 24, 2008 9:53 AM
So are you going to bring it to the bash in ohio? (see sig) be a good chance for everyone to get to see it, and its always nice to meet the mind behind the machine too

Monday, March 24, 2008 10:07 AM
Quote:

"When you turn your car on, does it return the favour"

thats from a cadillac commercial.

The pistons must not be very big in the northstars. but dang 32 valve that thing must purr like a kitten

Monday, March 24, 2008 10:12 AM
Something that I've been wondering from those initial pictures -- now, obviously the fit is tight. No surprise. Won't that engine either have to A) move around enough from the torque to bounce off the rad support or B) be mounted so rigidly that it pretty much has to break something? I'm no mechanic, so maybe I'm missing something.

Shop Manuals, Brochures:www.kenmcgeeautobooks.com
Monday, March 24, 2008 2:48 PM
Geeky wrote:Something that I've been wondering from those initial pictures -- now, obviously the fit is tight. No surprise. Won't that engine either have to A) move around enough from the torque to bounce off the rad support or B) be mounted so rigidly that it pretty much has to break something? I'm no mechanic, so maybe I'm missing something.

The engine is mounted very rigid. I dont plan on abusing the car to much so crossing my fingers on not breaking anything.

There isnt anything visible done since the last pics so there really isnt anything new to post. Progress is agonizingly slow now that its down to details. I only put the first pics up a few days ago and haven't been feeling good this weekend so very short days in the shop

There are no set in stone plans for the shows the car will be at. I would love to make it to the main GM ones but only time will tell- i am from ontario and might not even make it to the JCO bash since i hang out with almost all minitruckers

_

Monday, March 24, 2008 3:02 PM
If this thing goes to Ohio, I will DEFINITELY be there just to see this. Amazing amount of creativity here and I can't say enough how awesome it is.

---------------------------------------------------
4 Cams...32 Valves...5 Liters...This Could Get Fun!

Monday, March 24, 2008 3:52 PM
Nice work man, I really like the sub frame, keep us posted I look forward to the progress.

Friday, March 28, 2008 12:31 AM
wow. i admit, i thougth it was another how do i swap a v8 thread.

you have an increadable talent man. congrats.

btw, on question, sorry if i missed it in the 6 pages but, what are you using ems wise and how are you doing the wiring?

12.5@116 2.0 60ft
Friday, March 28, 2008 1:02 AM
PLEASE bring this thing to the bash...PLEASE

Friday, March 28, 2008 2:17 AM
turbo it, then talk to me.

Friday, March 28, 2008 8:01 AM
dirty elf wrote:turbo it, then talk to me.

Nah, put an M112 on that bish...it'll fit right under the cover.

Friday, March 28, 2008 8:49 AM
DroptopPaul wrote:So are you going to bring it to the bash in ohio? (see sig) be a good chance for everyone to get to see it, and its always nice to meet the mind behind the machine too

You could give him a little stage or something im the middle of the show field so everyone knows exactly where he is.

Friday, March 28, 2008 9:17 AM
John H [CavalierKid wrote:]wow. i admit, i thougth it was another how do i swap a v8 thread.

btw, on question, sorry if i missed it in the 6 pages but, what are you using ems wise and how are you doing the wiring?

I am running Megasquirt2 with a V3 board for engine management, with a modified EDIS to drive the coil on plug setup (i refuse to run plug wires and its biting me in the a$$ so far) wiring is all hidden so the engine bay looks as clean as possible- just the bare necessities.

There will be no forced induction this year for sure, there is only so much you can do in a year on a personal (unsponsored) budget with a limited amount of time- myself and 2 close friends work on it but also 2 trucks which one is being built from scratch in one winter. I am not sure wether it will be at either bash, the JCO one coincides with a local show that myself and the people i hang out with plan to attend. The one in the US i dont even know when or where it is actually.

_

Friday, March 28, 2008 9:40 AM
That is the coolest thing I have ever seen!!!!!!!!!

Friday, March 28, 2008 3:16 PM
1997ztwo4 wrote:
John H [CavalierKid wrote:]wow. i admit, i thougth it was another how do i swap a v8 thread.

I am running Megasquirt2 with a V3 board for engine management, with a modified EDIS to drive the coil on plug setup (i refuse to run plug wires and its biting me in the a$$ so far) wiring is all hidden so the engine bay looks as clean as possible- just the bare necessities.

There will be no forced induction this year for sure, there is only so much you can do in a year on a personal (unsponsored) budget with a limited amount of time- myself and 2 close friends work on it but also 2 trucks which one is being built from scratch in one winter. I am not sure wether it will be at either bash, the JCO one coincides with a local show that myself and the people i hang out with plan to attend. The one in the US i dont even know when or where it is actually.

Only one of them is worth going to, and it sure isn't the JCO one! Check the events thread for JBO bash info. There'll be a few fellow Canucks heading down there, perhaps even myself included this year.

14.330 @ 96.37mph
Friday, March 28, 2008 9:18 PM
i am getting ready to attempt the same swap in my 94 cavi... what sort of suspension do you have in that thing? def not stock i take it?

Saturday, March 29, 2008 12:40 AM
tyler parrish wrote:i am getting ready to attempt the same swap in my 94 cavi... what sort of suspension do you have in that thing? def not stock i take it?

I doubt that will happen. The steering rack might not agree with you on your car.

Saturday, March 29, 2008 7:10 AM
gtpsunfire wrote:
tyler parrish wrote:i am getting ready to attempt the same swap in my 94 cavi... what sort of suspension do you have in that thing? def not stock i take it?

I doubt that will happen. The steering rack might not agree with you on your car.

I have had this discussion already. At a certain point stuff like relocating a steering rack is no longer a deciding factor- more fabricating and parts yes, but not the factor that will make it possible or impossible. At least thats the way i see it.

For suspension i am running air.

_

Saturday, March 29, 2008 7:21 AM
check my signature for scheduling of the USA bash. keep at it man, I at least want pics of this car running

Sunday, March 30, 2008 6:33 AM
Paul wave the reg fee's for this one if he comes to the bash ....

on another note .... alot of us are goin down there from toronto and surrounding areas ......
we'll be putting up more info as it comes closer

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search