mrthompson's 4 door progress thread - Page 17 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: mrthompson's 4 door progress thread
Monday, February 06, 2012 7:42 PM
waiting (im)patiently to see how this pans out.

Monday, February 06, 2012 7:42 PM
godspeed i believe. they have all the fancy adjustments that your bc have.

Monday, February 06, 2012 7:43 PM
strat81 wrote:waiting (im)patiently to see how this pans out.

i know i know. lol

Monday, February 06, 2012 7:46 PM
MRThompson (jrthompson) wrote:godspeed i believe. they have all the fancy adjustments that your bc have.

i wish i had BC coilovers. i actually have B&g coilovers with stock strut mounts.

Monday, February 06, 2012 7:56 PM
MRThompson (jrthompson) wrote:

i know i know. lol

it's easier to give people ideas to test out so that way i know for sure that they'll work before i put them on the car.

wish you were closer cuz i'd love to give you a hand with it.

Monday, February 06, 2012 8:08 PM
strat81 wrote:
MRThompson (jrthompson) wrote:

i know i know. lol

it's easier to give people ideas to test out so that way i know for sure that they'll work before i put them on the car.

wish you were closer cuz i'd love to give you a hand with it.

yeah. the plus side if this works out like i know it. will it will give you the option you are looking for and give me a nice back up suspension.

the hardest part for me is that my suspension is used and siezed. lol that is where most of my time will be spent. unfortantly. hopefully i will be able to get it a done tomorrow.

Monday, February 06, 2012 8:53 PM
not just that... it opens up a sea of choices for coilovers.

subaru has much larger aftermarket support with everything from budget coilovers in the $400 range all the way up to the top of the line racing setup.

Monday, February 06, 2012 10:45 PM
Oh absolutely. This is where I am at a crossroad of should I look in to shaving the knuckle to fit the Subaru thickness. I'm leaning more to the second option of redoing the lower mount to match the knuckle for reasons, I'm not removing mounting area and structural strength of the knuckle. Also this will make it bolt on when I swap over to the aluminum knuckle and upgraded front brakes.

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 12:22 PM
youre working on the wrong car!

although i cant wait to see this one finished either....

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 1:28 PM
tabs- lol. theres nothing the that the vert really needs.

looks like i found a machine shop around the corner from me. which means i can have some parts made that are needed to get the suspension together.

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 5:32 PM
well my coilovers are all stuck together except one, so their in the process of soaking in hopes that everything comes apart. i did tear down one of the front struts to inspect the design and see what i could use in the conversion to the cavalier. looks like all i have to do is just remake the upper strut plate and i can bolt the pillow ball mount to the new plate. on the one that was not siezed i ended up cutting one flange off and checking the the bolt hole difference. they are off about 1/8" so most likely i will be slotting the hole but i still have not decided. here are the pics and once done i will be doing a write up in the irs strut option thread in the suspension section.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 6:13 PM
only was able to get one other sleeve off. so that leaves me with the option that i have to have 2 others made. along with the strut top plates. i did atleast do the cad of the tops so i don't have to wait on that to be done just the machine work. i will be stopping by tomorrow so i can get an idea on how long before i get parts so i can put it together.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 6:20 PM
in for more updates...

which brand are those btw?

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 6:28 PM
Godspeed. Just got an email back from them to call them tomorrow. I'm gonna see if i can have them send me bare sleeves so i can weld on my own flanges and how much they will be.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:26 PM
looks good. that is all.

would be excited for suspension updates. i have a lot of subie friends..

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:34 PM
I have a Wrx now also. Lol but I would not suggest messing with coilovers that do not move freely to do this mod. I'm going to be spending more money and time on getting these coilovers separated and repaired compared to 8 welds and 4 top plates to get this done.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:13 PM
I'm really excited to see how this all ends up. IRS swap is on my to do list, but looking at different coilover options like this. Excellent work so far!

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 4:16 PM
well finally got my top plates. just waiting for some sleeves to come in so i can weld the tabs on and bolt it all up. im also working on other custom parts, which i will probably make available to others. here is pics with the spherical bearings installed. i will also have the flanged spacer remade to fit the air ride when i swap it back in.

just in case any one is interested what the other parts will be.... weld on lower mounts to convert the air ride strut over to irs, possible one piece m62-ls1(5.3) tb, phenolic spacers(m62 upper lower, 2.3-2.4, subaru). this stuff is all work in progress and will post up in the PROPER section when they are available.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 5:27 PM
looks good man commin along nicely.
Wednesday, March 14, 2012 9:34 PM
thanks spencer. i am working on an idea for the front mounts. what upper mounts are you using?

Thursday, March 15, 2012 4:02 AM
Jason, do you ever where shoes. lol

Looks good man.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Thursday, March 15, 2012 10:08 PM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:Jason, do you ever where shoes. lol

Looks good man.

yes. i even tried to keep my feet out of the pic to. lol

Saturday, March 17, 2012 9:38 PM
PROGRESS!!!!!! lol well i did get the stud welded into the upper rear plates and mounted on the coilovers. then mounted them into the body. i have to get the lower mount hole sloted for camber adjustment on the rear. after they are slotted i will weld them onto the rear tubes and mount it up on monday. also picked up a set of rear brake hoses and tracking down a e-brake cable. the rear will be done shy of disassembly and painting it all. i am still working on the mounts for the air ride also. just remember this is a temporary thing till i work out everything on how i want the air setup. along with giving everyone an suspension option for the irs. now pics

C&C

Sunday, March 18, 2012 6:41 AM
Awesome progress!

Monday, March 19, 2012 8:51 PM
and another awesome update, only one side is done. had a busy day. i set the bolt to the middle of my slot so i still have more camber adjustment. Pics

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search