JUICEDZ4 projects, Im back... - Page 18 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: JUICEDZ4 projects, Im back...
Monday, July 25, 2011 8:46 AM
Very sweet!

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 5:30 AM
I was gona take the car out last night until I realized I left the key on sunday and the batt was completely dead. When I pulled off the trunk lid I noticed the spring loaded contact dealo sitting in the spare tire well. Since I hate having to cut the wires when I want to take off the trunk lid lol, I decided to make use of the contacts finally.

First I had to cut a 1/8" thick trim ring for the trunk side fixed contacts. Then I epoxied the whole assy to the inside of the lid.

Next, I made up a flat aluminum bracket, utilizing the two mounting screws that hold the lid mounting rails to the car. A couple simple standoffs, some paint and wiring later and BOOM, a working setup.

So now I have one more thing checked off my list AND a charged battery.

Dan

Currently on jackstands.

Project updates and stuff: www.clubhousecustoms.com
email: dan at clubhousecustoms dot com
Tuesday, July 26, 2011 7:03 AM
juicedz4 wrote:Pics of the oil cooler mount / ducting (only half for now).

Not bad for being bent between two pieces of angle iron clamped together. The curved flange I bent using a piece of aluminum bar stock that I cut a groove into. Bent it little by little, then hammered smooth.

Compared to my old remote filter, tstat and cooler setup, I now have 360degs less fittings, 12 less joints (stupid NPT adapters) and probably 8' less hose.

[Dan

Looks great Dan!! I have the same oil cooler as you except mine is smaller. One day when I get motivated again, I will figure out where I am going to mount it

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Friday, July 29, 2011 11:21 AM
Tuning scheduled for 10am sunday. Cant Fn wait.

If you know where Im going (and if your name is Tim) feel free to stop down.

Dan

Currently on jackstands.

Friday, July 29, 2011 12:42 PM
I'll probably be sick of wrenching by then, and something tells me 2 J body guys and Rick would make for very fun conversation, haha

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Saturday, July 30, 2011 9:25 AM
Got my vote for the calendar. One sweet piece of engineering!

Sunday, July 31, 2011 4:21 PM
Well, today coudl have been better. It rained, we experienced an ignition issue (which I believe was heat related due to the lack of airflow), and then when things were finally going ok, my pass side inner cv boot ripped at 80mph spraying grease all over the serp belt and engine bay, causing the belt to fly off. That was the end of the day.

We did manage to get fuel tuned up to just over 100kpa and 5800 rpms. So all wasnt lost in the hour we were strapped down. Im gona replace the axle on wed probably and get back to tuning next weekend.

Dan

Currently on jackstands.

Sunday, July 31, 2011 5:39 PM
That sux, was it an old axle or something?

306 TQ
Sunday, July 31, 2011 5:43 PM
Nope, new, less than 300 miles

Currently on jackstands.

Monday, August 01, 2011 5:45 AM
Daamn

306 TQ
Monday, August 01, 2011 6:25 PM
First, a pic of the car acutally rollin at Ricks. (yep, thats a furnace fan quickclamped to a resin lawn chair, lol. Kept my car plenty cool, works great)

Drove down this afternoon, climbed the mountain, pulled the axle, cleaned up grease, installed a new serp belt and axle (outside) in 2.5 hours. Not bad.

Apparently my alternator didnt magically fix itself (wont charge), so Im going back to my old one for tuning, which may happen sat.

Dan

Currently on jackstands.

Monday, August 01, 2011 6:31 PM
Oh crap, afer following your build for what seems like forever we're going to have power numbers soon! SWEET!

Monday, August 01, 2011 6:56 PM
That boot is soooo ghey... are you going to get your money back for it? haha

At least it was clean grease...

If Brian isn't around Saturday I can give you a ride down no problem.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Tuesday, August 02, 2011 5:58 AM
Ya, Im not sure whats going to happen with that damn axle. I may try, again, to get a boot for it.

As for sat, Rick said he should be able to tune me after the Solstice is done at 2pm. So I may head down a bit before and try to get a couple heat shields made and reinstall an alternator etc. It might be a long day if I get there at 12 and the solstice isnt done by 2 and we tune for a few hours.........

But Im all for not having to leave a car there and making yet another trip down.

Dan

Currently on jackstands.

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 9:58 AM
Verified at lunch that the alternator is dead. Perfect.

Dan

Currently on jackstands.

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 12:53 PM
So I had someone on antoher forum reply to my torn cv boot with "dont you know about the zip tie trick"?

Well this led me on a google easter egg hunt. Turns out that lots of road racers do two things with their cv boots. One, they put zip ties or string between each valley on the boot to keep it from expanding due to the centripetal force of the grease. Two, they vent the boot at the small end with wd-40 straws etc.

Like this:

I also found that DSS offers a "road race" option for thier axles where they use a stronger boot and also add a vent to them to relieve pressure.

So Im 99% convinced this is what happened to my boot. It expanded enough from the speeds and the grease and contacted either the motor mount itself or the bolts that hold it to the body.

So Im going to zip tie and vent the boots on the car before this happens again.

Also, I cant believe that no one I know has heard of this before. ( I still need to talk to my road race buddy but hes testing at the Glen today I believe).

Unreal.

Dan

Currently on jackstands.

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 1:21 PM
Wow great find Dan! Good luck with the development on this!

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 1:44 PM
That dyno is awesome! I'm assuming this is just a guy that runs a dyno buisness on the side?

Good work on the car, can't wait to see what it makes.

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 2:05 PM
Ya, he works at a machine shop part time, and builds and tunes cars out of a small shop at his house the other half. And he's full time awesome.

Dan

Currently on jackstands.

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 2:25 PM
I wouldn't having that thing slapped next to my house.

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 2:33 PM
They call him.... Ricky Bobby....

hahaha

Very cool ideas with the CV boots. I might have to try it with mine, since they are already out of the car.

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 2:38 PM
Neat stuff on the boots, I like the Dyno too haha

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 4:16 PM
Never heard of that either on the CV boots, but interesting.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 5:18 PM
Ya, almost no one I talked to today knew about the zip ties on the boots. A couple knew the straw trick. One person said the axles they got for thier vintage Z race car instructed them to add the straws in the axle assy manual (apparently the place they use ships them partially assembled and ungreased).

Dan

Currently on jackstands.

Friday, August 05, 2011 1:08 PM
is there something in close proximity to the boot that isnt there or near it stock on your car that split it? i cant believe that it would expand any more than anybody else's around here, i mean... nobody else seems to be having issues with our axles doing this that ive ever seen so i guess i dont quite understand the need...

if you were road racing sure but you were just on the dyno LOL

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search