JUICEDZ4 projects, Im back... - Page 5 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: JUICEDZ4 projects, Im back...
Tuesday, May 25, 2010 10:52 AM
What is the last picture of?

Now, TURN UP THE BOOST!

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 11:17 AM
OHV notec wrote:What is the last picture of?

I think that is his vacuum line

Jason
99 Z24 Supercharged
157hp/171tq - NA
190hp/170tq @ 6psi

LG0/LD9 for Life
Tuesday, May 25, 2010 11:26 AM
Just a close up of the boost control solenoid plumbing. I think somone on antoher forum asked to see it and it just got copied into this thread.

I did a little more work last night. Im almost ready to start checking out sensors etc. Hopeuflly turning it over sat am.

Dan

YEP, my 60' times suck

247HP/267ftlbs at 13psi with built motor

Project updates and stuff: www.clubhousecustoms.com
email: dan@clubhousecustoms.com
Tuesday, May 25, 2010 11:44 AM
juicedz4 wrote:Just a close up of the boost control solenoid plumbing. I think somone on antoher forum asked to see it and it just got copied into this thread.

I did a little more work last night. Im almost ready to start checking out sensors etc. Hopeuflly turning it over sat am.

Dan
go i hope lol this car is ridiculously amazing

ʇı ɹǝʍo7 | ǝcoMonstǝrs

Thursday, May 27, 2010 6:19 AM
Pre-start checks underway

Monday night I finished mounting the MS, grounding the engine harness and removed the stupid window control module and relocated the window switches to the main switch panel. (no pics)

Last night I started going through everything on the MS. I quickly learned that almost none of the sensors were working. Apparently I forgot to add ground wires on the harness (not on the engine bay side thankfully) for the TPS, MAP, CTS and IAT. oops. After adding the 4 ground wires everything worked great.

The next issue is the coolant fan control. I need to add a transistor today to drive the relay. The singal that Im using for fan control now (I was using something different before) just wont turn on a relay, or if it does the current limits are very marginal. Should have time to add that at lunch.

Next big step is to connect the VR sesnsor and make sure I have the polarity correct while cranking with a scope.

After that a quick check to see that Im getting spark, and it should be ready to turn over saturday!

Dan

YEP, my 60' times suck

Thursday, May 27, 2010 9:57 AM
wow doesnt quite cut the mustard when it comes to a word to describe this amazing build. i simply cannot believe the amount of custom work you have put into this thing. we need to make up a JBO award for most extroadinary build. LOL

question though... (and im sorry if you already answered it) (and please forgive me because i have no intake manifold build skills) but was there some reason you downsized to the throttle body like that? no, really... id love to know. most manifolds ive seen just have the tb opening pretty much as large as the plenum so thats why i ask.

Anything worth doing is worth over doing.
Sunday, May 30, 2010 8:53 AM
Alright, Saturday is over. We need updates!

Also, I have a feeling that many of the people impressed with this part of the build aren't familiar with how much work has gone into building that devil engine so far

Tuesday, June 01, 2010 12:59 PM
Well....

I spent most of the morning trying to verify the correct polarity for the VR crank trigger sensor. Most of which involved figuring out that my one oscilloscope wasnt working correctly and then the other one was goofy to setup (I hadnt used either of them before sat am).

Then I had to finish wiring in the VR sensor, and the boost control solenoid (this could have waited, but i wanted it done).

After all this the fn fuel pump wont prime. The fuse, relay, pump are all operational, but MS just wont run them. I need to check out the board as I did some mods for the IAC drive, which shares the same FET driver chip as the FP drive.

EDIT: I did realize that the fuel return line -6 fitting is leaking now too. Looks like the internal oring failed.

Basically I ran out of time, and the yard and family won. I should be getting back to it tonight.

Dan

YEP, my 60' times suck

Tuesday, June 01, 2010 2:46 PM
@!#$ty, oh wells............. youll get it.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Wednesday, June 09, 2010 5:57 PM
I figured out the priming issue.... I had the priming pulses set to 0ms, oops.

However, the car still wont start. It doesnt seem to like the crank trigger.

Last night I upgraded to the newest MS2 extra code and got TunerStudio working. I also got the stim card built up (on monday) and went through everything over the last couple nights (and acutally found a wiring error with the injector outputs, which is fixed now) Everything is working perfectly on the bench.

I tried the MS quickly in the car late last night and its still not quite reading the crank trigger correctly. Its seeing all of the teeth, but not recognizing the missing tooth.

Im hoping to get back to it tomorrow nite. Hopefully adjusting the VR trigger pots will do the trick!

Dan

YEP, my 60' times suck

Friday, June 11, 2010 6:32 AM
So I now have a tach signal! Adjusting the VR pot(s) did the trick.

I then verified that all the injector outputs are operational right to each injector.

Also 3 of the 4 spark outputs look like they are working perfectly. Cylinder 1 is "odd", it only fires occasionally. Im not exactly sure what is up yet. Its very wierd, the output can drive an LED ok, but it just wont fire the coil reliably (maybee the coil driver is iffy). Hopefully I can nail down this issue tomorrow am.

Then I just have to fix one AN fitting on the fuel return line and it should be ready to fire, for real.

Dan

YEP, my 60' times suck

Friday, June 11, 2010 7:27 AM
juicedz4 wrote:I figured out the priming issue.... I had the priming pulses set to 0ms, oops.
Haha; could have been worse. I flooded my buddy's Civic when I had the MS priming pulse set WAY too high for about an hour of tinkering....
juicedz4 wrote:Then I just have to fix one AN fitting on the fuel return line and it should be ready to fire, for real.
Hoorah!

Friday, June 11, 2010 8:23 AM
yaaaay

306 TQ
Friday, June 11, 2010 10:14 AM
well lets not get crazy yet. Hopefully the issue is something I can fix tomorrow. If the coil driver is crappy, I dont have a replacement, and my local source doesnt have any spares either.

Dan

YEP, my 60' times suck

Friday, June 11, 2010 10:55 AM
Good luck man, you are so close that I bet you can taste it.
Keep us posted for sure.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 11:00 PM
few updates since my last post...

12 Jun

Finally figured out the spark issue. Cyl 1 coil driver IC is bad. I think its going into current limit when trying to drive the acutal coil. It will light an LED on the stim board ok. Also if I swap cyl 2 drive signal to cyl 1 coil everything is good.

13 Jun

Picked up a civic center console on ebay. Took a little time to get it to fit well. Basically just needed to extend the middle 1.25" and trim the back part by the floor of the ebrake section. I also deleted the cup holder and glued the cover of it permanentl in place. I was able to use the stock civ shift boot which was nice.

14 Jun

Ordered a couple new coil driver parts, they are due in wed or thrus.

16 Jun

Covered and installed the new center console parts. Worked on some random wiring things, vacuumed the carpet etc.

Pics of console:

Dan

YEP, my 60' times suck

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 6:55 AM
Very nice, I love the center console.

306 TQ
Thursday, June 17, 2010 9:57 PM
Replaced cyl 1 coil driver tonight. It fixed the issue. I now have spark in all four holes. WHOOO!

It was too late to try and fire it up but I managed to get a few other things done.

-Soldered boost control and launch control wires to the MS

-bolted firewall connector back in place (forget why I even took the one off now)

-added separate groud wires for the cyl head and alternator

-made a new fuel line to replace the leaky AN fitting at the outlet of the fuel rail

-primed the fuel, no leaks!

So looks like Im ready to fire this pile up, hopefully this weekend. If not, I may take a day off next week to get it going.

Dan

YEP, my 60' times suck

Friday, June 18, 2010 6:12 AM
Awsome news man. I really wanna see video of this thing running and tearing down the track.

Friday, June 18, 2010 12:43 PM
i cant wait, i've been wating on this thing to start since i learned about it last year. love the center console

ʇı ɹǝʍo7 | ǝcoMonstǝrs

Saturday, June 19, 2010 3:44 PM
Made a few final checks today, plugged in the injector harness, turned the key and after just a few secs of cranking it fired right up! It even idles fairly decent for spending no time fn wtih req'd fuel or tables yet.

I noticed the WB readout in MS would not follow the gauge. Apparently I never loaded the correct WB table into the MS. oops. So loading that in fixed it.

Also the dash tach wast working. I put the pullup resistor on the wrong gauge. Funny how they swap positions when you flip the gauge cluster over. oops again. So swapping that to the right gauge fixed the tach.

It looks like I just have one more MS issue to sort out. The crank signal seems a little unreliable if it dips below like 500rpm. Im not sure if its a signal issue or just the tune is goofy, causing the RPM to drop enough that MS things Im cranking, and not running.

Anyway, good end to the day. Hopefully Ill get some more garage time tomorrow. If not, Im gonna try to take a day off ths week and work on it some more.

Dan

YEP, my 60' times suck

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 9:40 PM
Ok, so a few delays lately but....

Car is curreently on the ground, wheels torqued, tires aired up, nut and bolt check done, fire extinguisher ready lol.

I just need to hook up the EGT tcouple wires, bolt in the MS plate and get some corn liquor.

All set to attempt the first drive FRIDAY!

Dan

YEP, my 60' times suck

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 9:43 PM
Also scaled the car tonight.... 2475lbs with 1/4 tank gas and only missing door panels.

Dan

YEP, my 60' times suck

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 5:11 AM
Can't wait, we demand vids

306 TQ
Wednesday, June 30, 2010 5:21 AM
wow only 2475 with all that extra jazz? awesome.

180hp in 1989 or 145hp in 2002, you decide. >
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search