JUICEDZ4 projects, Im back... - Page 7 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: JUICEDZ4 projects, Im back...
Monday, August 16, 2010 10:59 AM
Any vids of this thing yet?

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ

Monday, August 16, 2010 11:17 AM
How did I forget out this!

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, August 17, 2010 3:27 PM
there are now officially 3 ohv cavaliers I admire and respect, well played.

Lets make sure this thing makes it into the J body calendar.

Saturday, September 04, 2010 6:07 PM
so after almost a month, I got a little time to work on it today.

Plan was to swap cyl 1 and 4 injectors to see if the wet and lean plugs either swapped, or balanced things out. Well, I started to take the rail off and one of my fn fuel rail straps broke off the flange at the weld - awesome.

So, I pulled the intake, rewelded the strap (on both sides this time) and reassembled everything. It took about two hours to get everything fixed and back together. Of course by then I was out of time. Hopefully Ill get some time to take it out tomorrow, if not monday.

Dan

YEP, my 60' times suck

247HP/267ftlbs at 13psi with built motor

Project updates and stuff: www.clubhousecustoms.com
email: dan@clubhousecustoms.com
Sunday, September 05, 2010 8:37 AM
this build is exciting. Can't wait to see some video

Monday, September 06, 2010 4:43 PM
Took the car out yesterday for a bit with injectors 1 and 4 swapped. Now cyl 1 is the lean and cyl 4 looks close to normal (or at least the same as 2 and 3). I really need to pull the injectors and have them cleaned and flow checked - maybee Ill be visiting New Era tomorrow. Im just not sure whats up. Im wondering if the one that is lean is the new one that I had to replace earlier this year. Racetronix was supposed to match it to my original order, but maybee they didnt. Or its a different one with an issue ( I wasnt careful to mark them, oh well ).

Dan

YEP, my 60' times suck

Tuesday, September 07, 2010 6:45 PM
there is a lot of win in this thread...

** FOR SALE** http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=24&i=110879&t=110879
Tuesday, September 07, 2010 8:57 PM
Injectors are out ready to take to New Era, hopefully tomorrow. It turns out the bad one isnt the new one. I could tell by the wear on the sides of the body from my old intake mani injector cups. So maybee whatever killed m other one, damaged this one as well.

Guess Ill find out soon.

Dan

YEP, my 60' times suck

Wednesday, September 08, 2010 6:44 AM
Well good luck getting this issue fixed. Its really exciting that you are this close now.

Thursday, September 09, 2010 2:36 PM
Just got off the phone with Mike. My one injector wont clean up, it needs to be replaced. I havent seen the flow numbers yet but I hear it was quite low. I didnt get flow rates for the low one, but I did get the resulting volumes for all 62 / 103 / 100 / 103cc.

I think Im gonna replace the one for now and then switch to something more reliable this winter. Sounds like these delphi injectors arent the best. Stupid things...

I already got a tracking number from Racetronix. Hopefully that means it will ship tomorrow latest.

Dan

YEP, my 60' times suck

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 6:40 PM
Got the injector in last night, but had no time to go tuning.

However, tonight I went out with the new injector and the results were F'N AWESOME. I went out for about 20 mins of datalogging and all looked great. AFR in boost was rock solid, throttle response was great, etc etc etc. I came home and chekced the plugs they are all identical. WIN.

So I just need to figure out the high idle and do some more tuning and schedule a dyno appt soon.

YAY!

Dan

YEP, my 60' times suck

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 7:21 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Keep us posted.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 8:31 PM
YYYAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love this car so much glad she runs can't wait to see number and maybe a dyno vid

ʇı ɹǝʍo7 | ǝcoMonstǝrs

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 9:32 PM
I went back out and had one small setback. The fn screws that hold the motor to the exhaust cutout fell out. It took me a min to figure out why the exhaust sounded really wierd, heh. Luckily the connector on the wires to the motor kept it attached to the car.

Anyway, I pulled it all apart put new cap head screws in place of the flat heads. I used loctite on the threads and I JB welded the bolts in by filling the groove left from the counter sink. Hopefully that keeps them from falling out again.

Ill reassemble tomorrow and continue tuning.

I also got the top half of the drivers door panel pretty well done. Pics tomorrow.

Dan

YEP, my 60' times suck

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 10:03 PM
Got the repaired cutout reinstalled tonight.

Also started trying to track down the source of my high idle. I checked out the TB, seems like the plate is acutaly closing all the way. I thought it might not be as I added seals to the shafts and it turns a little harder than orig (I have added a return spring). It wasnt that.

Next up I checked the IAC (Ford type). I pulled it off and the seal looked good. However, the pre TB port on it is directly connected to outside air through this little filter under a cap. So I doubt its the cause of my high idle, but it certtainly would be a huge boost leak. I was able to blow right through it without almost any resistance.

I wasnt acutally using the IAC yet so I made a quick block off plate. Ill find out tomorrow after work if this helps the idle or not.

Finally some pics of the new door panels. The top of the drivers side is done aside from attaching hte interior window sweep to the panel and doing hte final install. The door openers are E30 BMW china made replacements. The pull handle is just a simple black ano aluminum U.

The bottom half will just be black powder coated aluminum, to match the rear seat parts, riveted to the top half and either screwd or riveted to the door.

Nothing fancy, just lightweight (probably at least 15lbs lighter than stock for the pair) and functional.

Dan

YEP, my 60' times suck

Thursday, September 16, 2010 4:18 AM
So damn sexy.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Thursday, September 16, 2010 6:53 AM
Glad to see you're updating on the ORG again. Hopefully one of these Wednesdays it will stop raining and I'll be able to see it again at the Cabin

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Thursday, September 16, 2010 6:57 AM
Ya man. Im hoping to do some tuning this weekend and maybee get to Rick's for some dyno time before next weekend :fingerscrossed:

Dan

YEP, my 60' times suck

Thursday, September 16, 2010 9:52 PM
Was raining tonight so I didnt go out tuning. I did get the drivers door panel all complete. I will be powdercoating the lower part wrinkle black this winter. For now the alum will do.

pass side glued up

Spacers for plull handle

I was worried about getting the window sweeps reattached to the panel, The stockers were done with what must have been a giant paper stapler, lol. Anyway, my upolstery stapler did the trick, I just had to bend them over by hand.

The top part of the window sweep was originally chrome, which I fn hate. So I wrapped it in some black gaffers tape.

Test fitting the aluminum. The clecos make this job super easy.

All rivited on

More sat.

Dan

YEP, my 60' times suck

Friday, September 17, 2010 5:04 AM
too @!#$ cool.

you are a god.

I feel like taking a tinkle on an ecNOtec...
Friday, September 17, 2010 6:17 AM
Damn, I have always wanted my door panels like that, just to get rid of the @!#$ty ass GM 3rd gen ones. Looks great man.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ

Friday, September 17, 2010 6:24 AM
Thanks. These are very light too. 2.5lbs ea. Stock 2nd gen panels are like 11 or 12 ea.

Of course I scaled the car wtih them off, so now I gota come up with 6lbs to take off. My new decklid that I ordered monday should take care of that and then some

Dan

YEP, my 60' times suck

Monday, September 20, 2010 7:16 AM
I still have yet to get any vids of it running. Soon maybee.

Drove the car a bunch on sat.

I verified a few things:

- my alternator is def shutting off at 4k rpms. Verified both with datalogs and volt meter. I think Im just going to cut my losses and replace this pile with a new one.

- Im nearly certain my high idle is due to the pos BBK throttle body. Im ordering a Accufab today, hopefully this solves the issue.

- my cutout leaks, alot. I dont think its the same since it fell apart. Im gonna limp through the rest of this year with it like it is, then go to a full 3" aluminum exhaust over winter

- my boost control solenoid works great. I just had to swap the software polarity. Before I swapped it I discovered that I can make nearly 22psi by about 3800 rpms. haha

- the car pulls pretty hard at 15psi. Its a total handful to keep straight (somethign like LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT HOLY @!#$!! LEFT) even from a 50mph roll. Im not sure if its "amplified" torque steer from the manual steering, or alignment, wide tires, quaife.... I gota figure out something. Right now its pretty scary.

Dan

YEP, my 60' times suck

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 6:10 AM
I borrowed a new alternator from the rebuilder to try. It would rev to ~6500 without cutting out. Def better but Id like to see it get to 7k min.

So I did some math this am. Looks like the current ratio is ~2.9:1. Giving an alternator rotor speed of 18.8k with 6500 rpm engine speed (seems like thats about the limit of alternators in general).

I also discovered that the pulley I had on my old alternator was 2.25" dia, stock is 2.5". I must have had the smaller pulley from back in my stereo days, where I needed to charge a ton at low rpms.

Going to the 2.5" pulley will allow the motor to spin to at least 7200rpms before I hit the 18.8k rpm where the alt shut off on me last night. (being conservative with my numbers)

I think that will be good enough. I dont plan on spinning it over 7k, unless Im still making power up there, haha.

He only wants $40 for the alternator he let me borrow (sounds like its old stock he'd rather part with).

I just gota run down and have him put the stock pulley back on the new alternator and pay him $40.

Gonna check this one off my list.

Dan

YEP, my 60' times suck

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 6:20 AM
If you do rev higher get a AEM alternator pulley from a 2.4L LD9. It will bolt up fine to 2.2L motor.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search