JUICEDZ4 projects, Im back... - Page 9 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: JUICEDZ4 projects, Im back...
Friday, October 01, 2010 9:27 PM
What clutch you running?
I would highly recomend Bully as a replacement.

Saturday, October 02, 2010 5:52 AM
I have a 6 puck Bully. However, I dont remember what "stage" it is or w/e stupid terminology they use. If I remember the disc is half iron, half kevlar? Its been years, Im sure I dont have any documentation left from buying it.

Im gonna head out today in a bit to see if I can determine if its wheel spin or clutch slipping.

Dan

YEP, my 60' times suck

247HP/267ftlbs at 13psi with built motor

Project updates and stuff: www.clubhousecustoms.com
email: dan@clubhousecustoms.com
Saturday, October 02, 2010 6:55 AM
Well if it is a clutch and you need a replacement, let me know. I can get Bully clutches alot cheaper than most people.

Monday, October 04, 2010 9:57 AM
Im pretty sure its the clutch, almost certain.

I currently have a 6puck Bully. However, I dont recall what friction materials I have. I think its iron on one side and kevlar on the other. Which may be the root cause.

I dont like that Bully cant provide a torque rating, only a % increase... how lame.

Im gonna need something that can support like 500 ftlbs. (ish)

Dan

YEP, my 60' times suck

Sunday, October 17, 2010 5:15 PM
So Im pretty well done with the car for the season. Ill order a clutch sometime this winter. Ive been tinkering with some stuff, and Ill be working on some new suspension stuff and swapping to MS3 this winter.

This past week I got a few things done/ tested:

Wed night I reinstalled the power steering to see how much it would help my crazy toruqe steer (or w/e else it might be) and put my Wilwood "E" pads in to replace the "Q".

Well, the power steering helps a TON. Its very driveable now. It is however, quite twitchy. I think reducing the working pressure in the pump should do the trick.

And the E pads are SOOO much fn better than those Q pads. I forget just how good this thing can stop. I played with the bias some as initially the car wanted to swap ends pretty easy. I have it set to min rear and I think its still just on the edge. I may try chaning the rear pads from the Hawk HP+ to a stock pad, or anything with less bite.

Also spent some time test fitting some parts to get the rear of the car lower. I think they are going to work just fine. The low pics below are the lowest I will be able to go. I can go as much as 5" higher or so (not that Id want to). The best part is this doesnt effect suspension geometry or travel, and it keeps the wheel centered nicely in the well. Pics of exactly what I have made to come soon.

Original

Low

rear view (driver side still at the orig setting)

I lowered the front just by the coilovers for now. I have some plans to get the front lower while keeping the roll center as close to stock height as I can get it.

More to come.

Dan

YEP, my 60' times suck

Sunday, October 17, 2010 8:35 PM
You're a genius man. Very good job.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 6:27 AM
Ive always wondered what the rates of the rear swaybar and beam are, so I thought Id measure them.

Now, this may not apply to everyone here as Im using a shortened Beretta beam and bars, but it might be close between the platforms.

Here is the setup:

- removed both rear springs
- disconnected pass side shock
- blocked drivers side beam to the tire well with a block of wood, and held it all in place with a jack under it.
- angle finder on the hub studs to measure degrees of twist (for future swaybar options :snky
- caliper to measure the twist in inches
- bottle jack and wood spacers on one pad from the race scales to measure the weights (zeroed with everything on it)

I repeated the measurements several times. They were very repeatable (< 0.05" variation for the same change in angle). Considering my pretty hack setup, I thought that was awesome.

And the results are:

Beam + internal swaybar + external swaybar = 200lbs @ 5 deg (100lbs in)

Beam + internal swaybar = 100lbs @ 5 deg (55lbs in)

Beam only = ~70lbs @ 5 deg (40lbs in)**

** the beam only measurement got tricky. The beam was so flimsy with no bar that it created 10lbs of weight on the scale at the same jack height with a bar. So the numbers above reflect a 10lb difference between what I measured and what is displayed above. This measurement may have a bit of error in it.

I think the big thing to take away from this is that the rear swaybar approx doubles the roll stiffness.

Personally, I get some awesome data to base my new swaybar setup on.

Dan

YEP, my 60' times suck

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 9:27 AM
wow... now that is awesome.

so you actually proved having the sway bar helps LOL. good job man.

Underdog Racing
Tuesday, October 26, 2010 9:30 AM
Haha, Right.

Well this was mainly done so I can spec out my new swaybar. Which is done. I just need to order the parts now.

Dan

YEP, my 60' times suck

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 10:04 AM
It is crazy how diversified you are and I am amazed at your vast array of skills. Very impressed at this project! Wish there was one of you around here (Twin Cities) lol.

Monday, November 08, 2010 9:23 PM
Ive been working here / there on the rear axle beam, getting it ready for the new bearing plates, k brace mounts and shaving some weight off of it.

As of tonight I have all the holes drilled in it, which saves 3lbs.

The old hub plates and k brace brackets cut off.

Im hoping to get the model for the new bearing plates ready to get cut by wed (we'll see).

Mounts and endlinks for the new body mounted swaybar should be here tomorrow. I also ordered some off road flex joints to use for the axle beam pivots. With any luck they will be here by friday.

Dan

Currently on jackstands.

email: dan at clubhousecustoms dot com

Tuesday, November 09, 2010 3:03 AM
This is beyond cool

Tuesday, November 09, 2010 4:34 AM
Woah...

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Tuesday, November 09, 2010 4:36 AM
everytime i open this thread i'm surprised. I love this car

Tuesday, November 09, 2010 5:45 AM
Thanks. Im gona try real hard to get the drawing for the new hub plates finalized tonight, hopefully get it out for some quotes tomorrow. Im sure wherever I go its going to take a week to get them back.

Dan

Currently on jackstands.

Tuesday, November 09, 2010 7:03 AM
Yeah there is a ton of work around here right now, my Dad's shop is 4 weeks out at the moment. Good for us, bad for someone trying to get work done.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Tuesday, November 09, 2010 7:08 AM
Ya. I may try Nifty Bar again. They were pretty quck when they cut my seat brackets and trigger wheels a couple years back.

:shrug:

Dan

Currently on jackstands.

Tuesday, November 09, 2010 8:03 AM
Nice work Dan!!

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Tuesday, November 09, 2010 9:06 AM
One word to describe this entire build.... GENIUS. So much hard work. Everything is just great.

Thursday, November 11, 2010 9:22 PM
The mounts for the swaybar showed up the other day. I bought a 1″ wooden dowel to serve as the mockup bar and made some brackets and links out of abs.

It looks like everything is going to work out nicely.

First pics are a 6″ bar length at both ends of full travel. Next are with a 9″ bar lenght.

And a couple pictures from underneatht that show the bar mounting and routing.

Dan

Currently on jackstands.

Saturday, November 13, 2010 6:03 AM
Came up wiht this design for the swaybar mount extensions. I may change it up some, but I think its going to be the strongest and lightest way to do it. Each assembly weighs 0.9lbs plus any weight added by welds. Not that bad I guess. THis would be welded onto the frame rails, like the 2x4s were taped in the pics above. If it needs more lateral support I would praobably add some sort of rib to the tire well.

Dan

Currently on jackstands.

Saturday, November 13, 2010 7:04 AM
I dig this car, And this entire thread

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 10:28 PM
Flex joints for the axle beam came in yesterday. At first I thought maybe I could just split the beam and then slip them in, but it just wasnt happening. So I cut the mounts right off the beam and will weld the new joints in as pictured below. I may wrap another piece of steel over them to weld to the beam, but Im just not sure its necessary.

I finished up the design for the new bearing plates. Im sending them out to be water cut tomorrow.

Also verified the design for the swaybar mounts tonight as well. Hopefully I can get that finalized and out to be laser cut by thursday.

Dan

Currently on jackstands.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 12:19 AM
Man I wish I had the talent u have

13.1 @ 115
Wednesday, November 17, 2010 10:35 AM
Love this

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search