Found a prototype quad4 - Page 5 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Found a prototype quad4
Friday, November 18, 2011 6:06 AM
x2

I never knew this thread was here til now. It's been 5 months since the last "update"... probably still dead in the water waiting to analyze mounting positions.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero

Friday, November 18, 2011 7:53 AM
Looks like a quad4 block. Dont know about that new power steering spot. Bell housing looks like a match. I highly doubt this has any relation to Saturn since they came out in 91. And not to mention Saturns motor line has their intake manifolds and exhaust manifolds flipped around. This didnt change till the Ecotecs were installed.

And Im sorry but that thing just doesnt look like it was meant to be installed in a fiero. Otherwise I would think the valve cover or something up there would be facing the back of the motor? Since the motor would be mounted in the rear of the car. And I saw somewhere to match up a fiero trans. No bueno. It wont bolt. I can tell by looking at it.

Forgive me if this is all a "DUH" and if I missed the obvious. These are just some of the things I noticed.

Friday, November 18, 2011 8:55 AM
I'd put good money on that being the srt4 oil filter/ the oil filter that is used on about 8000 different fords (aka the longer version of the oil filter used on the 1.9 satty). I never saw this thread before. It does look like an engine dyno queen. I have no idea how you are going to support it on the timing chain side. Though who knows if the op is even trying anymore.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Tuesday, November 29, 2011 5:24 PM
Just seen this post myself......

I do agree the bell housing pattern looks to be Quad4 (and we all know that is a one of a kind pattern)

The oil pan also looks Quad4

Exhaust manifold bolt pattern looks LD9 (w/o the EGR end)

Intake manifold pattern looks like Quad4

Water pump bolt pattern looks like the Quad4/Twin Cam waterpump (use a quad 4 pump, custom pulley)

Power Steering looks to be 2.4ish, just moved to the exhaust cam

Alt and A/C look like LD9 mounting (or maybe a combo of Quad4 and LD9)

Quad4/LD9 looking mains and crank w/ cps ring (looks like the ring marks are not 0* or 15*..... maybe 20-25*?)

Front oil pump with pickup thru the block

Lower mount appears to be a bracket like the LD9 (and missing from the pics)

Upper mount looks to possibly be a front bracket, 4 studs on the upper front timing housing..... (only place I could find)

The rest screams Saturn or EcoTec (head/cams, timing assembly.......)

For a supposed 300hp motor, you think you would see the crank knife edged, or at least counter weights shaved down (after all, looks like the cams had some meat taken out of them). If this was a prototype for the Fiero, you would think the Fiero freaks would have a pic of this motor in one (they seem to have every other pic of the "last" Fiero concept)

In any case, COOL ENGINE! I'd love to have this in my garage to play with. Look forward to you getting this in a car and running!

*subscribed for updates....... and just in case the project dies out, shoot me a PM. I'd gladly take it off your hands

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 7:45 AM
So any updates on this? I heard that you dropped the project is that true?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, April 03, 2012 8:26 AM
That would suck. Wouldn't mind picking up the project though, if it is.

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 11:02 AM
mind you... an LD9 would probably be just as good. just not as novel...

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Tuesday, April 03, 2012 11:51 AM
Could the lack of mounting tabs on the cover mean it used a mount on the bottom of the oil pan like some other GM cars? I think OP might have gave up, the water pump a lone would be hard to find I think.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Thursday, September 12, 2013 1:58 PM
Updates?

Thursday, September 12, 2013 4:33 PM
No @!#$ wtf..... why do ppl always start bad ass threads like this and just never finish them this blows me away

I Love My J ♡
Thursday, September 12, 2013 5:53 PM
cody nobbs wrote:No @!#$ wtf..... why do ppl always start bad ass threads like this and just never finish them this blows me away

I too agree. I logged on just because someone said something in this thread. lol.

Thursday, September 12, 2013 7:42 PM
lol, I was googling something and this thread came up..... and I couldn't pass up bumping it since it had been dead for about a year and a half. lol

Friday, September 13, 2013 4:55 AM
I just wanna know if it really made 300 hp lol

I Love My J ♡
Friday, September 13, 2013 6:44 AM
Last I heard....it still wasn't running.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Friday, September 13, 2013 8:52 AM
He really doesn't ever check the org anymore, neither do I for that matter. I got an email alert this thread got bumped so I thought I would see what's up.

The project is put off a little more since I got him a v6 swap setup. He still has the motor and does plan on getting it running in something. Life and priorities get in the way of progress on stuff like this. My turbo car isn't even back together yet after a few years.

Also sadly enough the org is not like the place it used to be. Not to say there isn't any innovation or new ideas but its not worth logging in daily for, like it used to be.

Friday, September 13, 2013 12:07 PM
Still worth it for some of us

"In Oldskool we trust"
Saturday, September 14, 2013 2:54 PM
^^^^agreed

I Love My J ♡
Saturday, September 14, 2013 11:15 PM
Can't believe I missed this myself....though I wasn't here much at the time myself.

Still agree with everyone else....really looks like a modded saturn motor.

I'll have to ask around, but I think that was not the only engine I've seen like that.

A few plants around here (one of them, if i remember) had one too....

http://www.autotalk.com/pictures/data/1536/medium/2005_Chevrolet_Cavalier_Xtreme_002_autotalk_com_.jpg
Sunday, September 15, 2013 11:53 AM
lol i barely even look any more compared to what i used to but i still find myself lurking at least once a day usually...

its also good for boring nights at work where its either go wax your personal car for the 40th time or dance the night away with JBO hahaha

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, September 15, 2013 11:54 AM

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Monday, August 04, 2014 7:05 PM
Ever think about maybe getting a machinist to manufacture the missing components? I think that would make more sense then bugging a parts jockey and mechanic about an engine that was "never in production". Like the water pump. Impellers don't really go bad unless the vanes break off. All I'd need is some brass rod and a block of aluminum and I could fabricate one on a mill.
Tuesday, August 05, 2014 5:30 AM

Does he still even have the engine and parts?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, August 06, 2014 3:45 AM

PRND321 Till I DIE

Tuesday, August 05, 2014 5:47 PM
What he said^^^^^ i need closure

I Love My J ♡
Tuesday, August 05, 2014 6:05 PM
Motor is in my possession now. I am working on making a dedicated clean room in my workshop to build engines. When that's done and I put my turbo ld9 back together, I will be looking into getting this one finished.

I also have another v6 swap car to get buttoned up this year if possible. May start a couple build threads in the near future.

Wednesday, August 06, 2014 3:47 AM
Joe, I wouldn't mind coming down and looking at the engine when you tear it apart.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Wednesday, August 06, 2014 8:44 AM
For sure Mike, it might be a while but I'm getting the bug to start working on my cars again. Been busy with stuff around the house and need to spend time on my garage projects.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search