Evilution's 2011 Rebuild - Page 6 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Evilution's 2011 Rebuild
Tuesday, June 05, 2012 2:13 AM
Addicted to meth wrote:I have also never seen a 5:1 command AFR on my car.
We only see it while cranking and key on/engine off. Once it catches it goes up to ~10:1

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 8:17 AM
I would start taking Ohm readings for each wire. Go from the ECU plug to the sensor plug. As long as there isnt a resister built into the wire the readings should be low. I wanna come down and help but the earliest i can is Saturday.

Error: Sig not found.

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 7:04 PM
Well, it's official...I can finally say what I've been waiting to say since January...

she's alive!!

So i switched injector #3 down to cylinder 4 expecting one of two things...a) the injector circuit code would move with it meaning a faulty injector, or b) it would stay at #3 meaning bad wiring. To my surprised, car started right up on the first try, and idled like a champ. Not sure if maybe some dirt was in the top of the injector's filter basket and dislodged while disassembling and cleaning, or if it was a bad connection, but I had the car on and off about 5 times tonight with no issue.

Sounds a little rough, could be the cams, could be fuel trims (don't know what they are til Ryan can data log some), but it warms right up to closed loop where AFR's hang out at about 14:1-14:3. Over the next day or so I'm gonna get everything all cleaned up, fill/bleed brakes and get her on the ground and ready to hopefully tune this weekend. I'll upload a video tomorrow when I get a chance.

Hopefully from here on out I'll have more interesting updates!

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 7:10 PM
Sweet!! Glad it is running.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 7:46 PM
Hopefully I'll get to make a similar post by Sunday night. Glad to hear its running.

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 10:29 PM
Here's some video, I'll try to get a better quality one later...I think having my garage door closed made alot of echoing.

Thursday, June 07, 2012 5:15 AM
Woot!

Thursday, June 07, 2012 8:24 AM
Awesome news buddy. Great to see it running.

Thursday, June 07, 2012 2:02 PM
sounds so much better on my computer than phone!!!! i need to come down ASAP

Thursday, June 07, 2012 10:16 PM
Smoosh wrote:sounds so much better on my computer than phone!!!! i need to come down ASAP

Yes, yes you do.

Thanks for the comments everyone, hopefully we'll start tuning this weekend. My goal is get it safely drivable over the next few days, then really fine tune it as we have time. I have a few paint/body projects for other people I want to knock out over the next 2-3 weeks, then hopefully early July I'll have a chance to repaint before I tackle Jazer's paint job

Friday, June 08, 2012 3:20 AM
Glad to hear!

Sunday, June 10, 2012 6:33 PM
So Friday Jay and I made a trip to the junkyard to pull some 2200 ICMs (since I've been borrowing one out of my beater), then started reassembling the coupe. I almost forgot what this car looked like with a hood and fenders!

We started bleeding the brakes, had the bleeder on the front caliper strip out from being seized in, so I went out to Advanced Saturday morning and grabbed a replacement caliper. Got the brakes bled, wheels on. and some odds and ends assembly. I finished plumbing the line from my catch can to the intake, and put little things like the wiper cowl, crush guard, etc back on the car.
Finally after 6 long months, the car sat on the ground on all four wheels instead of jack stands:

I kinda forgot just how low she sits on the ground, lol, and I'm not 100% thrilled with how low the h/e hoses are, as well as the wire bundle right off the back of the PCM. I wired tied the PCM bundle up a bit, and moved the h/e hose up a bit with some hose clips. I think I may reroute the lower h/e hose some, and use some of the spare sheet metal I have around to make a little bolt in guard for underneath the pcm.

We took the car out this morning to start tuning. I have a tiny pinhole leak in one end tank of the h/e...didn't leak too bad until we got some heat going through, then we could tell it was losing water. That being said, it was a noticeable difference having the phenolic manifold spacer. With the spacer and a leaky h/e system, IATs initially looked a bit better than last year with just the cobra h/e and stock endplate. After about 30-40 min of driving, it lost enough water that the IATs were getting too high to any useful tuning so we called it a day.
Still overall a good day. Ryan did a couple flashes dialing in lower RPM fuel trims, we started off pretty rich so he pulled a bit out each time. We got idle down to about 1100 (I think), and overall the car feels great. Most importantly, it runs and drives. No unexpected reactions, motor sounds nice and happy.
I'm going to drop the h/e off at a local rad shop on Tuesday so they can fix it, so hopefully I can have that back and reinstalled by the weekend, then we'll keep tuning over the weekend. I'd also like to get the meth kit installed over the weekend. Plan as of now is tune on the 3.1" pulley, and as long as it looks like we have enough headroom with fueling and cooling, I'll drop to the 2.9" pulley right away. I still need to swap in a racetronix, we'll see if we can do the 2.9 first or if we need to wait.

Sunday, June 10, 2012 6:37 PM
Awesome news!!

FU Tuning

Sunday, June 10, 2012 7:38 PM
Great news dude.

Sunday, June 10, 2012 8:09 PM
Nice. This has come a long way.

Supercharged 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24
Sunday, June 10, 2012 8:56 PM
Now where would you be getting a 2.9" pulley from?....

Also i am kinda surprised not to see the other hood on there, just for laughs.

Error: Sig not found.

Sunday, June 10, 2012 10:18 PM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:Now where would you be getting a 2.9" pulley from?....

Also i am kinda surprised not to see the other hood on there, just for laughs.

Funny that you mention it...as we were carrying the bumper up from the basement, Ryan mentioned something about throwing your hood on, lol.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll keep you posted as we get it tuned...then onto bodywork and paint! Keeping my fingers crossed that by the end of this year, I'll finally have the car in the condition that I've been working towards for years

Monday, June 11, 2012 2:27 AM
Can't wait to come see it next month! I demand a ride! Hehe.

Monday, June 11, 2012 6:12 AM
Nice!! Glad to see it back up and running man.. I also have to say that you did an amazing job with the engine and bay..Great work and such a huge change from what it looked liked before.. I also really like the color sceem and especially the blower, its pure sex in my opinion!! Keep up the GOOD work and cant wait to see some vids of this beast..
Monday, June 11, 2012 6:31 AM
Glad to see it start up....get the racetronix in before you do any tuning...doesn't take long at all to do.

Monday, June 11, 2012 6:52 AM
Him and I are planning to swap tanks...

Sunday, June 17, 2012 3:31 PM
Ok small update.

Sent out the h/e to be fixed, and in the meantime i picked up this:

Been looking for something cheap and android based to run Torque on, and my wife found this at Big Lots for $90. I didn't want to spend a ton of cash on a tablet that was going to just sit in my car and have the soul purpose in it's life of running Torque and playing music.
The tab is a Polaroid PMID702c for anyone interested. Comes semi-rooted, and took about a whole 10 min to finish rooting and have a working Google Market. Only downside is no Bluetooth, but luckily Torque pro can connect via wifi and USB as well. I'm choosing to USB root, since it'll be staying in my dash.
I'm going to re-glass my dash to hold the tab, and I'll probably lose the gauges in favor of having vents back (since a/c is gone so any airflow I can get will be nice lol), and I'll be putting my wideband and boost gauges on either side of the instrument cluster. Tablet is also replacing my headunit.

My h/e should be back Wednesday, so hopefully we'll have a good chunk of tuning done by the weekend.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 7:35 PM
Ok, updates. Some are good...some are, well....

First off, my rear bleeders were seized beyond help, so I ordered some Dorman replacements from Rock Auto and swapped those in today. Surprisingly, (ok, not really) one unit failed immediately...first pump of the pedal to bleed and the rubber end bushing on the new wheel cylinder popped off and puked out brake fluid. Upon closer inspection, the rubber end doesn't seem to have as thick of a lip as the stock unit, so I think that may be the issue. Anyways, since the only problem with the original cylinders was the bleeders, I just took off the rubber caps, piston, and spring from the original units and "rebuilt" the new ones.

I also finished installing the 4" CAI. It was in, but I took it back out to paint the top half and to weld a barb on the lower extension for the PCV line.

I got my heat exchanger back from the shop and all fixed (it was a pinhole where the core meets the end tank) and got that installed so we could start tuning today. Now the bad part of the update. Everything seemed fine, we were just running around doing low rpm fuel tuning, not pushing the car hard at all, and after about 30 min of driving, I coasted into a parking lot to turn around, and with out warning the motor seized and died. It wouldn't re-start or even try to crank over, so I called for a tow truck and while we waited we pulled the valve cover to see if there was any carnage there...

At this point, I haven't had a chance to tear into things other than removing the valve cover, but it looks like the valve is either bent of totally broken, and the lash adjuster may be toast (though it's hard to see with the roller bring pinched in front of it. It's really pinned in there too, we aren't able to move it all. So, til I tear into, I'm not sure what happened...I'm hoping it was just a failed lash adjuster, and that these cams aren't really cursed, haha. We'll see once I dig into it.
The plan as of now is to swap the stock head back on, swap over the supertech springs, then debate what I want to do with the cams. Part of me wants to try the stage 3's again, part of me wants to play it safe. And who knows, it looks like this may be the only damage since it looks minimal and confined, but in all reality I could pull the head and find and eff'd up piston.

Right now, I'm leaning towards it was just bad luck and a lash adjuster went bad, or maybe the valve had collateral damage from the last build it was in and I missed it checking everything over (this head was in Oldskool's first LE61 build and had a ZZP valve spring snap, though not on this same valve). We (Oldskool and I) had tossed the idea that maybe the lift on these cams is too much for a stock L61 piston, that maybe the difference in duration changes when the valve and piston are closest....but if that was the case, you would think it would happen almost immediately, and not after 3 times of driving 20-30 min. If the lift was too much...it'd be to much at idle or cruising rpms. But again, I'm not jumping to any conclusions til I pull it apart and can make a better assessment.
Either way, it'll get fixed and back on the road. I have limited time over the next few weeks as I have a lot of projects to do for others, so I may try to at least pull the blower, mani, and head so I can see what happened, then rebuild later in the month. I'm gonna need a few guys here anyway to push the car up my driveway into the garage, lol.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 7:54 PM
Wow sucks to hear.

Up to this point how was tuning going for your guys?

FU Tuning

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 8:08 PM
That sucks man. Sorry about your luck. Hopefully the damage isnt too bad and its back out soon.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search