Evilution's 2011 Rebuild - Page 7 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Evilution's 2011 Rebuild
Wednesday, June 27, 2012 9:07 PM
Dang, got it running and then this happened. At least it does seem minimal and hope you get it fixed soon. I also love your tablet idea with Torque. Keep the updates coming.

Thursday, June 28, 2012 2:07 AM
With respect to tuning, it was going ok. We had to pull a LOT of fuel at idle and at low load/low rpm because of the cams - in fact we were still working those areas when it went. I also noticed that with the LD9 pcm, it slowly ramps the commanded AFR into PE when you get into it, where as the eco pcm just drops/steps straight to the PE commanded AFR. It seems like a slow ramp is not something you'd want on a supercharged car where boost is instant, but really he didn't get to full throttle, just 30-40%, 3-5psi, so IDK how it would behave if you just mashed it to full throttle.

Thursday, June 28, 2012 4:42 AM
oldskool wrote:With respect to tuning, it was going ok. We had to pull a LOT of fuel at idle and at low load/low rpm because of the cams - in fact we were still working those areas when it went. I also noticed that with the LD9 pcm, it slowly ramps the commanded AFR into PE when you get into it, where as the eco pcm just drops/steps straight to the PE commanded AFR. It seems like a slow ramp is not something you'd want on a supercharged car where boost is instant, but really he didn't get to full throttle, just 30-40%, 3-5psi, so IDK how it would behave if you just mashed it to full throttle.

There is a delay (I believe it is the reflash, just another file we don't have acess to) going into PE. Ryan has noticed it as well. I do not recall seeing it on Robert's car, but I see it on mine.

FU Tuning

Thursday, June 28, 2012 7:52 AM
EVILution (KGM Godfather) wrote:
First, I upgraded radiators. I planned on ditching the stock expansion tank all along, so I figured why not get a bigger aluminum rad with a built in filler neck, so I could avoid having to put a filler neck in my upper rad hose...not only is it an eyesore, I think it'd be a tight squeeze between the blower and hood. So I grabbed a 3" Griffen and overflow bottle from Summit, as well as a new fan from Frozen Boost.

Do you have a pic of where you mounted the overflow bottle??

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:13 AM
Really nice upgrade man!! Your car is titts bro..Can I ask what your HP goal is or what you expect to get out of her..
Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:31 AM
Sorry for the double post but forgot to tell ya that Im REAL sorry to hear and see the bad news!! But with reading your post about that it does make sence about the cams being to much and (like you had stated) it does seem like if they where it wouldnt even idle..But it could be somethig else and I hope its nuthing major that way it can be a pretty easy fix so you can get back up and running here soon..Good luck bro and cant wait to see this beast lopping again!!
Thursday, June 28, 2012 6:21 PM
Blwn LD9 wrote:Do you have a pic of where you mounted the overflow bottle??

Nope, haven't mounted it yet, lol. I'm kinda cramped on space, but I think I'm going to end up mounting it next to the catch can, right behind the passenger side of the impact bar (where the pre eco cars have their PCM). Right now, it's temporarily just an open line.

Chip Shell wrote:Really nice upgrade man!! Your car is titts bro..Can I ask what your HP goal is or what you expect to get out of her..

If I can break 250 I'll be happy with this setup. Assuming I keep the stage 3's, I'm pretty sure it's possible (I'll be pulleying down to a 2.9 and running meth). I think even on a smaller cam it's possible. PJ brought up the point this morning that as far as Ecos, even our "big" cams aren't all that aggressive in comparison to some of the stuff Honda and Subaru guys run, so the difference between say a stage 3 and 2 may be not be all that noticeable with a blower in front of them.

That being said, if anyone has cams they'd want to trade for my stage 3's, I am tossing around the idea. I'd be looking for Comp blower grinds or stage 2 (maybe stage 1) or something like a Colt Tri-flow. The intake cam is used, maybe has 1000-1500 miles on it, the exhaust cam was brand new when I installed it, so it has maybe 10 miles on it. If I don't find any trades, then I guess I'll throw the stage 3's back in the new head (assuming I can rule them out as the culprit) and see what happens again.

Hopefully over the weekend I'll have some time to at least pull the cams so I can exactly happned. I won't have a chance right away to pull the head to see what the bottom half of the valve looks like.

Friday, June 29, 2012 3:44 AM
Addicted to meth wrote:
oldskool wrote:With respect to tuning, it was going ok. We had to pull a LOT of fuel at idle and at low load/low rpm because of the cams - in fact we were still working those areas when it went. I also noticed that with the LD9 pcm, it slowly ramps the commanded AFR into PE when you get into it, where as the eco pcm just drops/steps straight to the PE commanded AFR. It seems like a slow ramp is not something you'd want on a supercharged car where boost is instant, but really he didn't get to full throttle, just 30-40%, 3-5psi, so IDK how it would behave if you just mashed it to full throttle.

There is a delay (I believe it is the reflash, just another file we don't have acess to) going into PE. Ryan has noticed it as well. I do not recall seeing it on Robert's car, but I see it on mine.
So how does it behave if you go from part throttle immediately to WOT? We weren't able to get to that phase of tuning it; all we had were some part throttle roll in, no more than 30-40% throttle (which was just on the edge of PE).

I hope it ramps faster, because the blower makes boost as fast as you can mash the pedal.

Friday, June 29, 2012 5:37 AM
oldskool wrote:
Addicted to meth wrote:

So how does it behave if you go from part throttle immediately to WOT? We weren't able to get to that phase of tuning it; all we had were some part throttle roll in, no more than 30-40% throttle (which was just on the edge of PE).

I hope it ramps faster, because the blower makes boost as fast as you can mash the pedal.

On my car it slightly delays into PE, having a leaner AFR, not but a momment or so. I was once concerned about it, but not anymore.

FU Tuning

Friday, August 17, 2012 1:34 AM
Ok, quick little update, since i finally had some motivation to fix this car's immobility issue. Just needed a few weeks to get away from it and forget about it for a little.

Im gonna yank the whole l61 and part out what is salvageable (head is already spoken for, block I need to look at more before listing), and went and picked up this little guy today for a replacement...

I decided to follow in PJ's footsteps, though i went the LK9 (Saab) route. Now a few people have already asked why the LK9 instead of LSJ...short and simple, aside from a few subtle differences (turbo drain line port, EGR, etc) the LK9 and LSJ are identical motors...except I paid about half of what many pay for used LSJ's. And I grabbed the b207r version that is normally paired with the high pressure turbo, which means a slightly bigger exhaust cam (just a bit though, nothing to write home about).

41k miles on it, though it's so clean i have a hard time believing it has more than 41 miles on it, lol. I started dismantling things I didn't need last night like the EGR plumbing, power steering pump, cam sensor etc. I have a little homework to do, as I think I'm gonna keep and use the oil cooler unit. PJ hooked me up with a link to a fabricator that makes an external bypass to use the oil cooler with an l61 thermo housing.
Plan as of now is to pull the l61 sometime this weekend so I can rape and pillage the parts off of it that need to be swapped over (oil pan, knock sensor, etc) and I need to tap the intake manifold holes out to M8, and some other odds and ends. I probably won't have time to swap it in til after labor day weekend, but in the meantime I'm going to collect the remaining parts I need and assemble what I can.
I'll be running a stock lsj flywheel and clutch for the time being, but need to wait til the local dealer gets the bolts in (ordered those as well as the f35 trans spacer yesterday) before getting those installed on the block.

Oh, and I have a Saab turbo manifold that I have no use for. There is some interest in it, but if that falls through it'll be in the classifieds in the coming days, just FYI

Moar to come!!

Friday, August 17, 2012 1:46 AM
Cool, I look forward to your progress.

Friday, August 17, 2012 2:45 AM
Twincharge..........

Friday, August 17, 2012 3:07 AM
Ryan from Stratford is running the LK9 with the 2.2 crank. I can't remember what pistons he has. But his runs really well with the modified high pressure Saab turbo.

Friday, August 17, 2012 4:02 AM
gtpsunfire wrote:Ryan from Stratford is running the LK9 with the 2.2 crank. I can't remember what pistons he has. But his runs really well with the modified high pressure Saab turbo.

Yea that thought crossed my mind, but right now I just want the motor in the car and running. I've gotten to drive this car a total of 30 min since last November, lol. But over this coming winter I may look into running a 2.2 crank with aftermarket rods/pistons. I'd also like to throw my supertech's in, but I hear the casting around the springs needs to be ground out a bit for clearance, so that will wait til winter as well.

Friday, August 17, 2012 6:30 AM
very cool, very cool, are you gonna run the external crank trigger wheel?
cant wait to see the progress, hurry up and get started. lol
Friday, August 17, 2012 10:25 AM
Snowman wrote:very cool, very cool, are you gonna run the external crank trigger wheel?
cant wait to see the progress, hurry up and get started. lol

Yup, just dug it out of the basement, lol.

Saturday, August 18, 2012 8:38 AM
Good stuff Matt!

Saturday, August 18, 2012 1:59 PM
Oh and here is what I found when I pulled the head off the L61....wondered where that valve got to, lol...

The sleeve looks ok, I want to take a closer look at some point, but looks like it'd good for someone doing a build. Once I have that pulled out I'll probably throw it up in the classifieds.
Right now I'm looking at maybe the weekend after labor day to yank the block and start dropping the LK9 in. I ordered some odds and ends from the dealership this morning, so I should have those as well as the trans spacer by mid next week, and hopefully I'll be seeing my lsj clutch and flywheel at some point next week.
Still looking at making the lk9 thermo housing work for me, since that'll be the easiest way to retain the oil cooler, if not then I'll run an adapter with the l61 thermo housing. I also want to pull the oil cooler off the lk9 and mock it up while the l61 block is still in the car to see what kind of room I'm working with. Its going to sit right where alot of my wiring and endplate heater hose sit, so I know I'm gonna be rerouting some things.
I'm also considering spending some time shaving more the engine bay and repainting it (again) right away when the motor is out. Not sure how much time I want to devote to that though...part of me says do it, the other part says just get the car running.

Should be seeing more progress in the coming weeks

Saturday, August 18, 2012 3:23 PM
Yea, that isnt good.

Saturday, August 18, 2012 6:52 PM
WOW!!!

FU Tuning

Sunday, August 19, 2012 4:33 AM
Addicted to meth wrote:WOW!!!

Lol, for me the wow factor is that it was this bad at idle!

Thursday, August 30, 2012 2:02 PM
Ok, finally time for some productive updates!

I've been parts collecting the last week or so. I grabbed some NGK 1 step colder plugs, as well as a new intake gasket since the condition of the paper gasket on the phenolic spacer isn't the best

Grabbed an LSJ clutch and flywheel

GM trans spacer

And decided while I'm at it, it was time for a Racetronix pump and harness

I've also gotten the last of whatever bolts I needed (flywheel, pressure plate, crank pulley, basically any TTY bolts that I'm pulling). Last night Oldskool and TheDark1 came over and gave me a hand pushing the car up my driveway into the garage. I got most of the harness disconnected last night, and the plan tonight is to remove all accessories out of the way and yank the motor and trans either tonight or tomorrow.
I still need to drill and tap the lk9 for m8x1.25 intake studs, plug the turbo oil return, and swap on the L61 oil pan, mount the external CKP for the trigger wheel, and cap off the exhaust cam for the sensor usually is. As long as I have time to do that over the weekend, I should be dropping the new motor in sometime Sunday or Monday.
Here's how she currently sits

Thursday, August 30, 2012 2:02 PM
Ok, finally time for some productive updates!

I've been parts collecting the last week or so. I grabbed some NGK 1 step colder plugs, as well as a new intake gasket since the condition of the paper gasket on the phenolic spacer isn't the best

Grabbed an LSJ clutch and flywheel

GM trans spacer

And decided while I'm at it, it was time for a Racetronix pump and harness

I've also gotten the last of whatever bolts I needed (flywheel, pressure plate, crank pulley, basically any TTY bolts that I'm pulling). Last night Oldskool and TheDark1 came over and gave me a hand pushing the car up my driveway into the garage. I got most of the harness disconnected last night, and the plan tonight is to remove all accessories out of the way and yank the motor and trans either tonight or tomorrow.
I still need to drill and tap the lk9 for m8x1.25 intake studs, plug the turbo oil return, and swap on the L61 oil pan, mount the external CKP for the trigger wheel, and cap off the exhaust cam for the sensor usually is. As long as I have time to do that over the weekend, I should be dropping the new motor in sometime Sunday or Monday.
Here's how she currently sits

Thursday, August 30, 2012 7:43 PM
Sweetness I can't wait to see how this goes
Thursday, August 30, 2012 10:33 PM
Snowman wrote:Sweetness I can't wait to see how this goes

Me too...hopefully this time the end result will be me actually being able to drive this d@mn car sometime this year, lol!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search