Borg Warner EFR 7670 J-Body Build - Page 2 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Borg Warner EFR 7670 J-Body Build
Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:47 AM
Not a problem, other know now also

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!

Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:51 AM
Ricardo Rosario wrote:
newt wrote:Looks like a cool build for sure!

FYI Supertech spring DO NOT FIT in the LSJ head without clearancing each of the valve pockets.

ZZP dropped their old supplier for their valve springs (said it was a production volume issue, but I suspect it was a quality issue) and now have a new supplier of valve springs....so the snapping issues might now be resolved.

Where did you hear that? Im running supertech on my lsj no clearance issue and plenty of others on cobalt forums.Which supertechs dont fit?

I found that out when I went to put mine in my LSJ head, it was the Supertech 78lb kit.

Here is a pic of the issue, you can see the spring contacting the head. I had to grind out every valve spring pocket in order for them to clear the head. I believe a few others on CSS.net have discovered this issue as well, its hard to notice right away since the valve springs are angled and when looking down from the top sort of hid the clearance issue. Try running a feeler gauge between the spring and the head tho and the issue is imediately apparent. I dunno if there is more than one casting of the LSJ head, but they 100% didn't fit in mine without removing some head material away.

Not a single spring cleared the head in that area. I measured the clearance of the factory valve springs in my 2.2 head (forget the exact number) and grinded untill I had that same number with the Supertechs in the LSJ head.

The Supertechs are slightly larger in diameter than the stock springs and the clearance in that location from the factory is very minimal (0.025") IIRC.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:01 AM
newt wrote:
Ricardo Rosario wrote:
newt wrote:Looks like a cool build for sure!

FYI Supertech spring DO NOT FIT in the LSJ head without clearancing each of the valve pockets.

ZZP dropped their old supplier for their valve springs (said it was a production volume issue, but I suspect it was a quality issue) and now have a new supplier of valve springs....so the snapping issues might now be resolved.

Where did you hear that? Im running supertech on my lsj no clearance issue and plenty of others on cobalt forums.Which supertechs dont fit?

I found that out when I went to put mine in my LSJ head, it was the Supertech 78lb kit.

Here is a pic of the issue, you can see the spring contacting the head. I had to grind out every valve spring pocket in order for them to clear the head. I believe a few others on CSS.net have discovered this issue as well, its hard to notice right away since the valve springs are angled and when looking down from the top sort of hid the clearance issue. Try running a feeler gauge between the spring and the head tho and the issue is imediately apparent. I dunno if there is more than one casting of the LSJ head, but they 100% didn't fit in mine without removing some head material away.

Not a single spring cleared the head in that area. I measured the clearance of the factory valve springs in my 2.2 head (forget the exact number) and grinded untill I had that same number with the Supertechs in the LSJ head.

The Supertechs are slightly larger in diameter than the stock springs and the clearance in that location from the factory is very minimal (0.025") IIRC.

Hmm that is interesting im wondering if earlier supertechs were stock size or it is possible i have a different casting i pulled my head of a saab 2.0 which is same head but i wonder if its different casting.

To orginal poster will be waiting to see this built and i used the lap block the engine mounting bracket has to be cut to bolt on block theres bump in the block well there was in mine just a heads up so when your ready to go in the engine mount bracket doesnt fit.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:43 AM
Thanks for the heads up on the mount and where is everyone buyin the supertech 78s at
Been talkin to scott and I have decided t go with a bully clutch instead of the exedy ill order the clutch at the end of the month when the gp on the injectors end also I got the lap block tore down and will be puttin the lsj crank in asa I get the bearings and main bolts. The rods pistons and cams should be here tomorrow and ill get them installed also then asa I score some springs ill get the head blowbenched.

RIP Cpl Derek Kerns And Cpl Robby Reyes
24th MEU VMM-261 (REIN) V22 Crewchiefs
11 April 2012 Morocco (African Lion)
Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:09 AM
Since you're local to me, I'd like to see your build and maybe even help and learn. You hang around the NCTC crew down here? I swear I saw your car in one of their photo shoots.

--------------------------
NCR-SCCA
Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:15 AM
Chelotus Racer wrote:Since you're local to me, I'd like to see your build and maybe even help and learn. You hang around the NCTC crew down here? I swear I saw your car in one of their photo shoots.

Yeah when they first got together i went up there with one on my buddies that has an evo 8

Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:30 AM
Glad to see someone spending real money on a turbo. One of these boys is in the plan after I break the torque and hp record with an mp62. So like 4 years away.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:08 AM
Cavi2Sunfire wrote:Thanks for the heads up on the mount and where is everyone buyin the supertech 78s at
Been talkin to scott and I have decided t go with a bully clutch instead of the exedy ill order the clutch at the end of the month when the gp on the injectors end also I got the lap block tore down and will be puttin the lsj crank in asa I get the bearings and main bolts. The rods pistons and cams should be here tomorrow and ill get them installed also then asa I score some springs ill get the head blowbenched.

I got mine through Karo, but Aaron @ TTR sells them as well for the same price.

I only went with Karo cause he can get alot better shipping rates for us Canuks than Aaron can for some reason.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 11:00 AM
Cavi2Sunfire wrote:
Chelotus Racer wrote:Since you're local to me, I'd like to see your build and maybe even help and learn. You hang around the NCTC crew down here? I swear I saw your car in one of their photo shoots.

Yeah when they first got together i went up there with one on my buddies that has an evo 8

I knew that was yours. Let me know if and when you need any help. I drive the "chelotus" cavalier. I autocross once and a while with the NCTC and Cups and Cones crew.

--------------------------
NCR-SCCA
Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:15 PM
Ill prolly order thru karo then cause I need oil gears also sorry aaron

Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:27 PM
If springs worry you, and you are already going to modify the spring seats, you could look into the PSI MIL1530's. Thats whats in my head and the spring seats had to be machined out since the springs are of a much larger diameter. They are still a single dual as well.

I believe these are it...
http://www.cvproducts.com/ProdDet.aspx?PN=PSICT1530ML

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:42 PM

Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:26 PM
Speaking from experience, stay away from zzp springs and higher-than-stock lift. Whatever you have to do to make them work is worth the piece of mind on such an awesome builod Hit TTR for supertechs.

Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote:Glad to see someone spending real money on a turbo. One of these boys is in the plan after I break the torque and hp record with an mp62. So like 4 years away.
That's a bold statement. Are you referring to the "jbody" record, or the overall ecotec record?

Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:08 PM
well here is some updates in the form of pictures i took them yesterday but was too lazy to post them last night

lol im jk but that thing was a blast

And this is my new license plate lol

Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:39 PM
oldskool wrote:
Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote:Glad to see someone spending real money on a turbo. One of these boys is in the plan after I break the torque and hp record with an mp62. So like 4 years away.
That's a bold statement. Are you referring to the "jbody" record, or the overall ecotec record?

The ecotec record is the goal, torque should be easy. Horse power is going to be tough without making expensive parts for the LE5 bottom end to make it rev to 9 grand. Though even having the highest pump gas and highest non-shop car titles would be good for me. I really only need 340 wheel to be nationally competitive in smf.

Friday, September 16, 2011 5:52 AM
Cavi2Sunfire wrote:

Any more pics of that piston? Looks to be domed for more compression?

A side shot would be nice at TDC if your feeling generous

Friday, September 16, 2011 6:14 AM
here you go newt

Friday, September 16, 2011 6:30 AM
interesting...

Friday, September 16, 2011 6:31 AM
Now what are those pistons from again?

Friday, September 16, 2011 6:33 AM
These are the 2.2 LAP pistons

Friday, September 16, 2011 6:52 AM
Very interesting...

I know the LAP uses the same cylinder head as the LE5 does. So I wonder if to make up for the compression loss from the larger CC's of the LE5 combustion chamber they added the bump in the piston.

Regardless, anyone looking to build a high compression L61, this would be a cheap way to do it.

Friday, September 16, 2011 6:56 AM
newt wrote:Very interesting...

I know the LAP uses the same cylinder head as the LE5 does. So I wonder if to make up for the compression loss from the larger CC's of the LE5 combustion chamber they added the bump in the piston.

Regardless, anyone looking to build a high compression L61, this would be a cheap way to do it.

Very true as im selling all the internals out of this engine if anyone wants them

Friday, September 16, 2011 3:09 PM
So i ordered the supertech springs today along with LSD, Racetronix Pump and wiring, flywheel and bolts, along with the bearings for the rods and mains, i thought that i ordered the bearings but i guess i didnt. Also moved the battery location to the passenger wheel well. ASA parts start showing up ill have some good updates for you then.

Friday, September 16, 2011 5:21 PM
K so have to ask. What is a lap block? Lol

Friday, September 16, 2011 6:03 PM
It's the engine code.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Friday, September 16, 2011 8:32 PM
If you want Supertech Springs send me an email, and you will be surprised by the price you get back. They are not listed on the site for a reason... its worth the 10 seconds you will spend sending an email and asking for a price...

sales@allecotec.com

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search