Sickness - Supercharger Retrofit (G-Lader) - Page 2 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Sickness - Supercharger Retrofit (G-Lader)
Tuesday, November 29, 2011 6:14 AM
JerseyJayL61T wrote:You know there's a reason why most VW guys run kicking and screaming from those things, right?

Jay! Good to hear from you, long time no talk!

Yeah, I will be honest I found out only after I had purchased the G-Lader that the VDub crowd referred to it as "The Grenade". A little bit worried I'd made a bad choice I looked into it.

The thing is a lot of guys like to overspin this charger, it has a certain operating range and they install some TINY pullies to overspin it. It would be the equivalent of some of our M45 guys putting on 2" pullies on their chargers (if they were to fit).

Also, it's a bit of a high maintenance charger, as you well know probably it needs to be checked often and rebuilt at intervals unlike a sealed Eaton unit. I looked into all this and realized it's all about a little bit of luck and about how well you care for it. Overspin it to redline, change your oil at crappy intervals and don't bother checking the charger and there is a high liklihod it'll let go.

To be honest I'm used to that with an LD9. Run it low on oil or live up at 7000 rpm with a stock valvetrain / oil system and it'll let go. Waterpumps can last from 3 minutes to 150k miles. It's all luck.

Seems the G-lader is the same way. Some people get 50k before a rebuild, some get 120k.

But yes I'm wary now, I'll have to keep an eye on it which isn't ideal and wasn't my idea at first but - to be honest - it's a unique unit and a lot smaller than an eaton unit. I REALLY didn't want to have to deal with mounting a positive displacement unit.

I'll give this a shot - it's more for the fabrication part of things... and some fun. If it grenades - it grenades. Hopefully not tho.

I'm stuck with it now! Though, I could easily sell it at a profit for what I bought it for. I'll open it soon to fully inspect the displacer.

You still have that beetle?

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 10:47 AM
Ok - small update.

As I said the other day I bungee-cord secured the charger to the engine so I could get it into a moderate held position for some measurements. I also was able to clock the charger to the position I want... next step is to make some hard temp brackets to hold it in rough place so I can make some cardboard templates.

This step has allowed me to select the mounting points for the charger to the engine, as well as decide how I want to engineer these brackets. I have a fairly good idea in mind, but it's hard to describe over the internet so I'll wait until the cardboard stage for you guys to see what i have planned.

Strapped to the engine in fairly close placement to what I want:

Side view - you can see where I need to add the idler between the stock tensioner and the supercharger. The engine is tilted back a a bit but my oil return is above the pan - whew.

This is where i want to put the idler pulley, giving the belt a "U" wrap around the charger. The top of the belt will be a lot tighter there is a lot of slack up top in this photo but you get the idea.

The engine is tilted back a a bit but my oil return is above the pan - whew.

I will use the alternator top mounting bolt as a top support for the charger. The bracket to go over the alt to this area will be fun to make - it's just a secondary support.

I will use the bottom alternator bolt as a top support for the bracket, and the left tensioner bolt as another support - square bar will run from it to the bracket and be welded. Two top supports.

Bottom AC compressor mounting location. Again - square bar bolted to it running across to the plate and welded. This gives it a bottom mounting location.

The driver's side of the charger bracket setup is too complicated to explain but you can see there isn't a whole heck of a lot to work with - but i have a plan. (You cant see it but to the right of the oil filter is a threaded boss in the block.)

That's the update for now! Feel free to let me know if you see any flaws in my mounting plan so far - I'm no engineer/fabricator (which is why I'm challenging myself to this project).

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Tuesday, November 29, 2011 2:12 PM
noice!

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 6:56 PM
Have you though about changing the belt routing? You wont need an idler if you do.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 1:10 PM
I'm questioning the belt routing as well, darren

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 1:17 PM
What ideas did you guys have in mind? I was under the impression the tensioner has to push DOWN on the belt for the final routing... if you guys have ideas I'd love to hear them! Any help is appreciated.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Wednesday, November 30, 2011 1:51 PM
wtf is that giant hole on the side, looks like something is supposed to go in there?

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Wednesday, November 30, 2011 2:02 PM
Brad... it's a dual inlet. on the stock G60 you use one side as an intake and the other side as the inlet for the bypass recirculation. So it blows off back into the charger....

I plan to block one side and use the other as an intake. The thing that looks like an inlet near the oil return is actually the supercharger OUTLET.

Interesting design, eh?

Here's a picture of its function on the stock G60 engine:

Cross section of the charger:

Of all people I thought for sure you'd be into this build, Brad! lol.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Wednesday, November 30, 2011 5:35 PM
oh im into it.

would be more into a 500whp dyno graph from a certain other vehicular, though.

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Wednesday, November 30, 2011 5:37 PM
Quote:

This ^^^^^^^^

FU Tuning

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 5:46 PM
Addicted to meth wrote:
Quote:

This ^^^^^^^^

WFT

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 6:19 PM
good luck chris, good to see you're still around.

I have also heard (mostly from Jay) that the G60 is garbage... hopefully you have better luck with it tho.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 8:14 PM
gtpsunfire wrote:Have you though about changing the belt routing? You wont need an idler if you do.

Here I would route like this, pardon the terrible MS paint drawing haha.

Attachments
IMG00636-20111127-1620.jpg (97k)

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 8:20 PM
not enough around the crank or blower

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 8:22 PM
The more I thought about it... The more I wanna see this accomplished.

I say finish and abuse both the G-lader and LD9 to see which may fail first. :-)

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog
Wednesday, November 30, 2011 11:19 PM
The Beetle is long gone now, I commandeered my buddy Rich's turbo '04 just recently which is why I'm sort of "back" to an extent lol...

If you're just using it for a daily low boost setup I'd imagine you'll be ok, but the simple fact that I've never really seen any good times out of G60 cars (that still have a G-lader attached) compared to 1.8T's or VR's is pretty telling. Hell, the fact that I don't think there's another vehicle left on this earth still using that type of charger is pretty telling too. Best of luck though! lol

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Saturday, December 03, 2011 8:04 AM
you are insane.

Mars was just crazy with his set-up, you've gone beyond that. good luck!

I need a new sig.
Saturday, December 03, 2011 9:27 AM
Also could go this way, keeps everything spinning the stock direction,

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Saturday, December 03, 2011 10:26 AM
Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote:Also could go this way, keeps everything spinning the stock direction,

The setup looks good but the tensioner pushes down not up.

Saturday, December 03, 2011 10:29 AM
Sorry my lack of LD9 shows.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Saturday, December 03, 2011 11:05 AM
Who says he has to keep a stock ld9 tensioner? There has to be another tensioner out there that would work.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Sunday, December 04, 2011 1:51 PM
DSMskyline wrote:Who says he has to keep a stock ld9 tensioner? There has to be another tensioner out there that would work.

If there is please let us know.

By the way, you have a PM.

Sunday, December 04, 2011 2:19 PM
I think the tentioner on a 1999 freight liner fl 70 5.9 Cummins pushes up.

Thursday, December 08, 2011 6:08 AM
Quote:

Bear in mind this is an exercise in trying something unique and challenging myself - not going for max power. That "dream" sits in the garage still awaiting a GT35r.

You do know Brandon (Boosted2point4) is selling his GT3582R for $850, right? and a Tial 44mm wastegate for $225. Screw sickness, let the black beauty get some lovin'! Driving my buddy's new Speed3 kicked my ass into high gear and got me back to the JBO. Don't make me finish my car only to have no local competition, Chris.

Thursday, December 08, 2011 6:38 AM
Thrice . wrote:
Quote:

Bear in mind this is an exercise in trying something unique and challenging myself - not going for max power. That "dream" sits in the garage still awaiting a GT35r.

You do know Brandon (Boosted2point4) is selling his GT3582R for $850, right? and a Tial 44mm wastegate for $225. Screw sickness, let the black beauty get some lovin'! Driving my buddy's new Speed3 kicked my ass into high gear and got me back to the JBO. Don't make me finish my car only to have no local competition, Chris.

ALSO old man gary is selling his GT35R........here...CHEAP

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search