95 Sunfire 2.2 turbo build. 250HP or bust! - Page 3 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 95 Sunfire 2.2 turbo build. 250HP or bust!
Monday, February 20, 2012 2:13 PM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:On the belt. One of your pulleys is either bent, or one of them is out of alignment with the rest of the pulleys.

I was thinking that. It may have been the power steering, but I've replaced the tensioner, and put a new belt, and the power steering back on. I drove it for a whole hour today, about 40 miles, and no problem with the belt... Weird. Maybe I corrected the power steering. I did try to re-route the plastic gas evap line which goes by the ps pulley to give it more room (but i don't think it was running to begin with).

Now, assuming the belt problem is fixed, my only problem left is the cracked pushrod guide plate, which i'm trying to get fixed before my baseline dyne day this saturday. I'm excited to see what numbers this thing puts down, but i'm not expecting much other

Monday, February 20, 2012 5:03 PM
DID YOU FIND ONE IF NOT IVE GOT A BUNCH WHAT YEAR
Monday, February 20, 2012 9:19 PM
For the pushrod plate? I have not found any yet. I pulled my cracked one today, and i'm going to take it to a welder to get repaired. I need it for the 95-97 years. GM part number 10206025.
Seen in this pic as number 6.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 5:27 AM
Ok, well thanks to Steve Katz, I'm going to have a new pushrod guide plate this evening. I'm going to pick up one from him. He's got about 7 jbodies, and lots of spare parts from racing them on dirt tracks. So, that should help resolve some of my valve train noise.
On a completely different topic, I've picked up a Tial 38mm Wastegate from OEM in the classifieds for $100. My first turbo specific purchase
I should be ready for Saturday's dyno run. I'll post the results once I have them.

Saturday, February 25, 2012 4:48 PM
Well, it's official. I dynoed my car today and I made 121 HP, and 125 Tq. Not bad for having lower compression pistons, and a turbo camshaft, in a car with no turbo.

Saturday, February 25, 2012 5:56 PM
Did you still want the coolant tees?

Saturday, February 25, 2012 9:17 PM
jason norwood wrote:Did you still want the coolant tees?

I was researching how to tap for the coolant lines on the 2.2, and it seems like most people just put the turbo in line with the existing heater supply line that runs right in front of the exhaust manifold on the OHV cars. I think that sounds like a cleaner setup, vs teeing off other lines. So, to answer your question, I don't think i'll need the tee's. I'm still doing research, so, I don't want to get the wrong thing.

Saturday, February 25, 2012 9:31 PM
Some video a friend took of the action: http://youtu.be/gktmmEECjCs
I was in the passenger seat data logging everything.

Saturday, February 25, 2012 11:44 PM
how are you going to tune it with the turbo in?

Sunday, February 26, 2012 11:34 AM
I'm hoping to try to use a 2bar map sensor, and just fake it in the tune. I.E. .5 bar is really 1 bar. Because if I understand the OBD1 software, I can't change the range for the tables, only the cell contents, right? This is probably a question I should take over to my tuning thread I started in the tuning forum.

I plan to use the Autoprom with a chip. At first, I'll use emulation to get the tune dialed in, then burn a chip to install to the ECU. I'll want to re-locate the ECU to be inside the car, or at least closer than the right front fender. Anyone have details on that process?

Sunday, February 26, 2012 11:53 AM
i remember asking cavfan for boosting with that ecu, and he told me that its not working right while faking a 2 bar!
migh want to ask team green (speedracer) how they did. i know they had a boosted 95!
ask it in your tuning thread

as for relocating, i did relocate it under the glove box as i told you. just had to extend all the wires. makes it much simpler

Monday, February 27, 2012 8:36 AM
Thanks for the heads up Merlin. I've PM'd speedracer. I'll see what he says. I tried to search the tuning and boost forums about this, but can't find anything specific for OBD1 ECU running boost.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 8:40 PM
New parts came in. They are starting to build up
Used 440 cc rc engineering injectors from the classifieds.

In other news, I've ordered a new power steering pump, and lines to once and for all stop this annoying power steering leak. I even got an OEM GM PS cap, to make sure it doesn't leak from the cap's seal. Then I can focus on the OBD1 tuning software i've got, and reading my stock rom.

Tuesday, October 09, 2012 9:41 PM
Been a while, but though i'd post that I got the Power steering completely fixed with a new high pressure line. Also, got the AC replaced so the car is SO loud from a bad AC pulley.

Has to pass the state safety inspection ins august, and my steering wheel was loose. moved left to right. It turned out the Aluminum U-joint that is used on the tilt mechanism had worn down the aluminum and it was just loose. Had to get the whole steering column replaced with a non-tilt to fix the problem. But it's nice and solid now, and I passed the state inspection.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 1:55 PM
Good news man! How has she been running?

Sunday, February 17, 2013 9:54 PM
It's been running pretty well. I had the manual transmission take a dump on me, so I just got a rebuilt one put in. Shifts like butter now.
New luk clutch too. I picked up a turbo header, turbo and intercooler in the classifieds. Need to figure out if the fake 2 bar thing is going to work.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 6:53 PM
love me some OHV builds
Sunday, April 21, 2013 1:22 AM
ok, a few updates to this build. The steering is still fighting me on this car. What I mean by that, is I found out the rack and pinion is leaking fluid from the driver side boot... Anyways, decided to replace it, and so that means dropping the front subframe. So, after 2 night of working on it, I got the sub frame out, and it was nasty. The yellow looking part from the photo is the dye used in the power steering fluid to find leaks.

I got new outer tie rod ends to go with the new rack and pinion.

I pressure washed it at a DIY car wash place, and took the subframe to be powder coated. So, while i'm waiting for powder coat to be done (3-5 days) I was looking at other things, and pulled my plug wires off and found this on 3 of 4 of the plugs. EKK. Is this a problem? I've been having some higher RPM break up, and wondering if this is the cause. But this isn't the first time this has happened. I've used Taylor wires, and now these Accell, and they both did this. Am I doing something wrong? I may need to use more di-electric grease. Thoughts??

Basically, part of the plug boot is staying stuck on the spark plug. From past experience, I know I can just shove the boot back on, and the car runs, just not sure if it runs 100% ok.

Sunday, April 21, 2013 1:36 AM
Maybe i'll just get an order of these custom length MSD plug wires. MSD brand should be good.... But even these don't have serviceable boot ends on the spark plug side, they are factory crimped.

MSD custom/crimp spark plug wire set

Sunday, April 21, 2013 6:36 AM
Yah ive had that issue before and always replaced the plug wires.

One thing I always hated about plug wires.

Are you using the special plug wire puller tool?
Sunday, April 21, 2013 9:23 AM
No, I'm just pulling it by hand.... What is a special plug wire puller tool? Has that helped you to not break them?

Sunday, April 21, 2013 10:02 AM
It has helped me in the past but maybe it was luck. Probably wouldnt help your situation.

But I came across this that may help.
http://msmillar.hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Repair-a-Spark-Plug-Wire
Sunday, April 21, 2013 4:01 PM
Thanks philly D, that looks like a very good step by step. I'll try to get the boot off. If I can, i'm confident I can re-crimp it, but getting the boot off will probably be the hardest thing.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 7:59 PM
Anyone have any ideas on my airbag light problem? I put the details and pics in this post: http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=11&i=158645&t=158645

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 10:15 PM
I've been hearing less and less good things about MSD as time goes on. I haven't purchased any products from them, so I have no experience to base that on.

Anyway, I'm liking what you're doing with this car. I'm working on a 95 Corsica that I'm just trying to finish fixing, then I'm gonna concentrate on a full build on another 2.2L. I did a mild port and polish job on my 2.2L, but having another engine to build in the mean time will minimize downtime. I'm hoping to get to your original 250HP goal using a GM3 turbo from a 6.5 turbo diesel.

My biggest issue is figuring our the top-feed conversion LOL What did you end up doing?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
1995 Corsica and a bunch of trucks too...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search