2000 z24 turbo build - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2000 z24 turbo build
Monday, January 30, 2012 11:55 PM
A little bit of history on this car:
I bought this car back in the spring of 2009 for my daily driver. In January of 2010 the headgasket blew out and I sold the car to a co-worker really cheap. In August of 2011 I was able to buy my car back. I had been trying for about a month to get it back and finally the guy gave in.
My plans for this car are always changing here and there. It will for sure be getting turboed. I know that much. I had the LD9 all torn down and decided I wanted to go with an Ecotec 2.2. Yes I've already been given a litte bit of crap from a few LD9 guys but I want to give it a try. I just bought an Ecotec for an unbeatable price with ARP head studs already in it.
Here is a PIC of the car the day I took the motor and trans out of it.

And here is the motor once it came out.

Since I had the engine and trans out I decided to have my sub frame blasted and painted.
Heres what it looked like after blasting:

The engine has been sitting for about a year and half so this is what the cylinders looked like. They all looked fairly ok besides cylinder 3. This looks to be the one where all the anti-freeze blew into and had been sitting causing it to rust a little bit in that cylinder.

I have been working on this car for about 6 months now and I'm just now getting these pics up. I have several more I will being going through to show my progress and I will be keeping this up to date for everyone to follow. I'm open to all ideas on this build.

Re: 2000 z24 turbo build
Tuesday, January 31, 2012 12:18 AM
Glad to hear you got the car back, thats awesome. Reguardless of what motor you use i look forward to seeing some progress. From how it sits the car looks pretty clean exterior wise.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 4:28 AM
Can't wait to see progress, although im not a fan of the engine change

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Tuesday, January 31, 2012 5:33 AM
Props on taking the time for the subframe, pissed I had mine out but no monies at the time to get it podercoated. Good luck with the new motor choice.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 7:36 AM
Ya did mine at the same time as my eco swap, thank god I did! Would have posiibly never had it out otherwise!!!! keep up the work.

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 3:26 PM
Just a pic of the new ecotec that I am putting in.

This is the intake I will be using.

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 3:30 PM
Nice! do work

306 TQ
Tuesday, February 07, 2012 3:43 PM
Lol lots of work has been done its just a matter of me taking pics. Soon much more will be getting done. I have stripped the wiring harness of the abs wires. I got a master cylinder for a late 80s Chevy celeberty.
Before:

After:

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 3:48 PM
lol, nice

306 TQ
Tuesday, February 07, 2012 3:51 PM
I need some opinions for the engine bay. Should I leave it that color? I'm open to all ideas and comments
Tuesday, February 07, 2012 4:14 PM
hey mr head! hahahaa

car looks great man.. i feel the same as mr david up there about the ecotec swap but hey, too each their own. was that engine vincent morris' old one??? iirc his eco had head studs is why i ask...

anyways, um.. as far as engine bay color, up to you but i think just doing a nice CLEAN shave (not everything) and filling over the spot welds etc then just a nice fresh coat of silver would look very nice. but if ur wanting something neat id go with a dark metallic grey.

non abs master cylinder looks good but since ur 00+ why not go with the 03+ abs delete one like was actually intended for that body style? it'd be more of a period correct "oem" look...

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 4:22 PM
I got the Eco from mythod. I also bought all my suspension from him. I was actually considering the metallic grey. All I want to do to the motor is put eagle h beam rods in it then drop it in. I need to locate a trans close to home that I can buy.
Tuesday, February 07, 2012 4:31 PM
I took the rear bumper off the car and found this...

Not a very exciting find but at least it will be getting fixed now.
Tuesday, February 07, 2012 4:50 PM
Looking good.

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 4:51 PM
Did you buy that intake manifold from shawn? If so thats a LD9 Manny.

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/
Tuesday, February 07, 2012 5:11 PM
I did buy intake from Shawn, my buddy is an alliminum tig welder so he is putting the Eco flange on it. I had this intake posted for sale but no one could seem to understand I wanted money, not trades. In the end I decided to just have the flange changed out considering that's the style intake I want to run and i can't find one like that for sale for the Eco.
Tuesday, February 07, 2012 5:12 PM
Mark iirc the op and a buddy have a welder, I'd assume if it's an ld flanged mani an eco flange will be going on shortly.

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 5:16 PM
Thats what is happening, Soon. Prolly this month some time. Not in a hurry for the intake though. Still got lots of other stuff to get done on the car.
Tuesday, February 07, 2012 5:25 PM
Nice man. Looks good. I also looked into swapping my LD9 with the 2.2 eco. I'm glad I stuck with the LD9, but good luck with everything. I'll be keeping an eye on this build for sure.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Tuesday, February 07, 2012 6:03 PM
Ahh, makes sense.

Looks like a fun project.

Mark

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/
Tuesday, February 07, 2012 6:52 PM
Looks really cool bro im jelly

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 6:53 PM
Joe Head wrote:Lol lots of work has been done its just a matter of me taking pics. Soon much more will be getting done. I have stripped the wiring harness of the abs wires. I got a master cylinder for a late 80s Chevy celeberty.
Before:

After:

i like this. alot cleaner.

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 7:04 PM
MRThompson (jrthompson) wrote:
Joe Head wrote:Lol lots of work has been done its just a matter of me taking pics. Soon much more will be getting done. I have stripped the wiring harness of the abs wires. I got a master cylinder for a late 80s Chevy celeberty.
Before:

After:

i like this. alot cleaner.

Me too, I did the same.

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 8:25 PM
Since we are talking about the master cylinder it brings up a good question I do have about it... I know that it's a diagonally split system so I know how the brakes work and all that but which port goes where?? I know one will do front right and rear left and the other will do front left and rear right. So is there a specific port or do I just run the lines into the ports as long as I have them routed into it in the diagonally split way?
Wednesday, February 08, 2012 8:46 AM
2 things.....ECO over the LD9????? sorry just don't get swapping, but then again its your car........
and the master cylinder, what are you going to do about the abs light that is going to show up? and how will that effect wheel speed sensors? and which plumbing are you going to use to hook it up? just curious as I do like the look and it is MUCH cleaner. Manifold looks familiar also I seen one on here lol

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search