Vert Build. Can never have too many! - Page 3 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Vert Build. Can never have too many!
Monday, June 11, 2012 8:04 PM
By the looks of it, I'll still be working on it going into July
If we do work something out, I have an eco radiator for you if you still need it

Starting to tear the front apart so I can tear the engine out. I know it was in a front end collision before we bought it (Dealership didn't say anything), but now I'm finding some of the damage done.
Besides the passenger door, fender and front fascia being replaced the A/C condenser was pushed in and both core support sides are screwed up

I had noticed when the frond end was all together that the passenger side wheel stuck in the fender about .5" while the drivers side stuck out .5"
How bad is it?

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 4:40 PM
i wouldn't worry much about it. you have to build a custom subframe so go a head and rebuild those also.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 8:42 PM
Not too worried bout the subframe, and my parts car has 2 perfect sides on it and I know how to drill spot welds, my concern is with the wheels being off-center.
It's not horribly noticeable, but it bugs me knowing

Monday, June 18, 2012 8:12 PM
Can you guess what the modified seat sliders are for?

Installed peektures tomorrow

Monday, June 18, 2012 8:17 PM
to slide the modified beer chest from the back to beside the driver? lol

Monday, June 18, 2012 8:36 PM
Shhhh, that's going in the back seat

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 7:36 PM

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 8:02 PM
^^ GA seats were my best mod thus far. SO COMFY.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 8:01 PM
Actually they are Grand Prix seats. Whats the fun of seats that bolt right in
Besides, this way I get to try to make a GP back seat fit in a fire vert

Hopefully pulling the engine tomorrow or Friday

Thursday, June 21, 2012 11:10 PM
^^ Sweet!
Same basic design as the ga seats, but wider by a bit right?
And my GA seats weren't exactly bolt in. It took some convincing and bracketry swapping, and some clever bolt positioning.
But on the subject I'm curious to see how you go about getting the rear seat in. I've been thinking about doing it myself if I can find a leather seat from a ga or gp. I'd only do it for leather though since I'd want my front and rear seats to match that way.

Friday, June 22, 2012 6:55 AM
Nice work. Just curious, why spend so much time redoing and doing little things over and over and over to these cars and buying parts car after parts car when you have the GTO to be working on?

just curious? Not flaming.

Friday, June 22, 2012 12:03 PM
I'm going to guess because he's in school, these smaller projects are easier on the weekend vs. a large scale resto, he'd rather hone his skills on a Cavalier than a classic, and once out of school funding will be easier to take on the GTO.

Looks like some fun progress though j-body related!

Saturday, June 23, 2012 10:39 PM
Sunfiretun3r - must be the Alero seats are different then, as I didn't have a problem mounting them in the car while I had them.

No hard feelings, I would be curious if I didn't know the story. Joe ^ was pretty close, starting college really slowed down progress, going from a 30' x 40' workspace to a one car garage hurt too. The GTO has always been in Michigan, and has went through many MI winters. So despite a few years of work into it, it still needs a few more. All the work in the fire is so I can have something fun to drive in the meantime and that feeling of completing a project. I'm not giving up on it, it'll still be sitting in the garage unchanged when I finish the fire.

Back on topic, I pulled the engine

Now on jack stands
Saturday, June 23, 2012 10:51 PM
I here ya. Well, good luck on all the rides. Can't wait to see the GTO one day.

Sunday, June 24, 2012 2:06 AM
Nic Crosby wrote:
No hard feelings, I would be curious if I didn't know the story. Joe ^ was pretty close, starting college really slowed down progress, going from a 30' x 40' workspace to a one car garage hurt too. The GTO has always been in Michigan, and has went through many MI winters. So despite a few years of work into it, it still needs a few more. All the work in the fire is so I can have something fun to drive in the meantime and that feeling of completing a project. I'm not giving up on it, it'll still be sitting in the garage unchanged when I finish the fire.

Kinda reminds me of me. I have a 69 C/10 project tucked away in the garage while i build the cav.

Error: Sig not found.

Sunday, June 24, 2012 8:29 AM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:
Nic Crosby wrote:

Kinda reminds me of me. I have a 69 C/10 project tucked away in the garage while i build the cav.

Me too haha, I have a 78 c20 chillin in the driveway waiting to be loved. Always liked the 67-72 bodies better though.

I'm interested in seeing the gp rear seat and if it fits.

Sunday, June 24, 2012 7:58 PM
So many truck projects! But that's what I wanna do after I finish all of my current projects, though I want a 79 K35

The GP rear is not a direct fit, too wide, especially the top. It will be something I do this winter when I can't do any other work

Been gutting the engine bay, contemplating welding up all the seams and smoothing everything out. Would it be worth it?

Now on jack stands
Friday, June 29, 2012 6:24 AM
My chevy 1500 is still waiting to get cut up for bags & built 350, after selling it then buying it back. Trucks are awesome.

Get to work nic, that car isnt gonna swap itself haha

Friday, June 29, 2012 7:05 PM
I have a 350 just sitting, and I have a 455 waiting for funds to build.

So....progress?

I want to start making the bay seamless this weekend

Now on jack stands
Thursday, July 05, 2012 8:56 PM
After some cutting, hacking, and a lot of drilling and grinding, I managed to get the core support arms off. Then spent some tedious time straitening the frame rails where they were damaged, and have started welding the core support arms and bumper brackets back on from my parts car.

I did find verts have extra brackets in there that coupes don't have. I straightened mine back out and I just need to weld them back in.

And I've given up on the seamless bay, unless someone wants to help me bondo it up, but otherwise I don't have the time

Now on jack stands
Thursday, July 05, 2012 9:11 PM
Good work so far dude.

Friday, July 06, 2012 7:16 AM
I got a can of bondo and some good spreaders. You got my number if you got free time

Looking good. Hopefully I can start picking up the 2.4 swap from you soon. Got the harness and all that too?

Friday, July 06, 2012 8:22 PM
Thanks Darren

^^ you'll be hearing from me real soon, I just have some more welding to do in the engine bay before any bondo can be laid down

I pulled the motor and trans out without unhooking any wires from them, and that's how it currently sits. and the A/C and cooling system is pretty much all together with the open lines capped

Now on jack stands
Monday, July 09, 2012 7:52 PM
How to fix rust without your car turning blue

First: Identify the rust

Second: Effectively remove the rust

Third: Cut, shape and weld a proper guage metal in its place

$#!%
it seems the more work I do to this car, the more blue pieces it has lol

btw, is this anyones CRAPOLIER?

Now on jack stands
Tuesday, July 10, 2012 10:52 AM
I have a pic of that one too haha. It is awesome.

Much less dirty though

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search