Vert Build. Can never have too many! - Page 6 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Vert Build. Can never have too many!
Sunday, March 17, 2013 8:52 PM
The more I look at the engine bay, the more I want to tub it. Just so both sides will be the same as I don't plan on lowering the car enough to need them. Also, it would more than likely draw attention away from how cluttered the back of the engine bay will be.

I was also thinking of doing an EGR delete.

Opinions? Criticisms? Hateful comments? On anything I'm working on?

6 more weeks of classes and then I can get back to making actual progress on this thing.

Sunday, March 17, 2013 9:09 PM
Definitely do the EGR delete if you plan on getting the computer tuned. It doesnt really do anything but cause problems IMO.

We did one on my friends L67 in about 15 minutes.

Monday, March 18, 2013 3:35 AM
Definitely dump the EGR. So easy to do on these engines.

Monday, March 18, 2013 8:00 AM
I will be tuning the car in the winter or next spring after I recoup some funds and buy HPTuners, so I'll pull the EGR off when I start working on the exhaust and yank the wiring before I finish my harness. I will suffer the (minor) fuel economy loss until I can adjust the timing lost from when the EGR was on, the car won't be driven that much in between times anyway.

Anything else I should do?

Monday, March 18, 2013 7:39 PM
Port the front exhaust manifold. Thats the biggest restriction in these engines.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 12:27 PM
I was thinking about buying Speed Daddy headers and cutting/welding them to fit as well as welding in a double-wall flex pipe and either a ZZP or Magnaflow resonator, then from there weld up my own exhaust and use the GTP mufflers. It would be 3" and Y into two 2.25" pipes. I would also modify my subframe and firewall as needed to fit a 3" downpipe.

Many of the Grand Prix guys seem to think that the GTP mufflers are the best flowing for the sound on a supercharged 3800, and I can't really seem to find a consensus on which resonator is better, just that the old ZZP ones were junk.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 12:48 PM
3 words... Flowmaster 40 series.
Forget the GTP mufflers. Get a Camaro style 40 series with full 3 inch piping. Don't worry about the resonator. That's what I did on the 3800sc cav. It sounds like grim death. The good thing is that you can still easy hear the supercharger, and that's with a stock pulley.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 1:08 PM
Good to know, where did you have the muffler mounted? What size outlet?
That's good, I planned on starting with some supporting mods and dropping to a 3.4" pulley when I go to tune the car.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 7:14 PM
Check the build thread here, all the pics are in there, including the exhaust. I'm pretty sure it was dual 3 inch outlets, but they might be 2.5. Its been a while.
Your text to link here...

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 10:00 PM
Thanks for the link, I think I've looked for that build thread in the past but was unable to find it.
I think I'll end up doing my exhaust similar to yours but figure out how to run it through/around my IRS subframe. I may cut out the spare tire well for that.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 3:51 AM
The IRS actually makes it easier. His muffler is actually mounted below the spare tire well on that car, and he is on air.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:51 AM
I wasn't sure, it's been a while since I've looked under the backside of the car to see how much clearance there was between the ground and the IRS, but if he doesn't have any issues with 3" exhaust and being bagged, then I will be fine.
I do know that as is, there is not enough clearance to run a 3" pipe above the IRS.

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 8:54 AM
I've been going through the wiring diagrams to figure out everything I need to do to rewire my engine harness from the 98' GTP to an 04' SS Supercharged and the difference between the HO2S 2 has been bugging me. I'm going to be running a wideband and don't want two sensors, but apparently you can't just delete the codes for the O2 sensor and forget about it, as the PCM runs a diagnostic for it and that can't be touched with tuning software, and O2 emulators do not work with 04's.

So my question is, can I run my wideband as a narrowband emulator to the PCM or can I rewire the O2 sensor to run a 97'-03' emulator (it looks like grounding out the heater low control wire may do it)?

Thursday, April 04, 2013 5:12 AM
From my understanding is that hpt does not delete the codes. You just uncheck the box so they no longer show up. Is the rear o2 sensor or the front o2? If it is the front precat o2 then you need to keep it because the ecu will need it to properly adjust fuel trims so you don't end up with drivability probleems.

Thursday, April 04, 2013 9:57 AM
MRThompson (jrthompson) wrote:From my understanding is that hpt does not delete the codes. You just uncheck the box so they no longer show up. Is the rear o2 sensor or the front o2? If it is the front precat o2 then you need to keep it because the ecu will need it to properly adjust fuel trims so you don't end up with drivability probleems.

That very well could be, I don't know that much about HPT at the moment, but from all the chatter I've seen on the W-body forums, in 01+ there is a diagnostic test to ensure that the O2 sensors are still good and HPT, tinytunerz, etc. cant access it. I am referring to the rear O2 sensor, as I plan on going catless and I don't want to be running three sensors in the exhaust when I add the wideband.

Thursday, April 04, 2013 10:00 AM
MRThompson (jrthompson) wrote:From my understanding is that hpt does not delete the codes. You just uncheck the box so they no longer show up. Is the rear o2 sensor or the front o2? If it is the front precat o2 then you need to keep it because the ecu will need it to properly adjust fuel trims so you don't end up with drivability probleems.

You can uncheck to box to turn off the light or you can actually select do not report in which the ecu ignors it.

Friday, April 05, 2013 6:04 AM
Zs Z wrote:

You can uncheck to box to turn off the light or you can actually select do not report in which the ecu ignors it.

^^^ what he said. Lol. I'm not very good at it either, but I remember reading things on here. I know 95% of the gyys here do that to get rid of the cel.

Friday, April 05, 2013 9:45 PM
First post from this

But, I think that I'm just going to remove all the wiring for the downstream O2 sensor and run it off the wideband. I have to emulate the richness or it will run pig rich in the LT and ST fuel trims.

Sunday, April 07, 2013 4:55 PM
Not much of an update, but I'm getting close on the wiring. Need to pull my downstream O2 wires, run my wideband wires, figure out my grounds system, wrap it, and then engine side of the harness should be done. At this point, I think I'm going to run an AEM UEGO and dual Aeroforce Interceptor gauges, this project is getting expensive fast.

You can start to see the transmission

This is how full my underhood junction box is. If I have to add anything else, I'm going to look into something bigger.

This is probably my only picture of all three cars. I need to finish welding the body on the GTO so I can drop it on the chassis and roll it out for better pics.

C&C welcome.

Sunday, April 07, 2013 5:11 PM
Looking good dude.

Sunday, April 07, 2013 5:33 PM
Moving along!

Sunday, April 07, 2013 8:57 PM
gtpsunfire wrote:Looking good dude.

Thanks

Joe Schulte wrote:Moving along!

I should really get moving in about three weeks when I'm done with school, I'll hopefully have some suspension upgrades for it about then as well

Monday, April 22, 2013 5:44 PM
I haven't worked on a car in weeks, I'm bored, it's a terrible feeling

But. I've been updating my Photobucket, so here are some pre J-body pictures, circa 2008.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 8:21 PM
I've gotten a little bit done, but not as much as I'd like as I get 2 hours a day to work before it gets dark out and I'm so exhausted from work that I have very little ambition.

Finally rolled the cav over 200k miles just a short distance into Ohio.
http://s1355.photobucket.com/user/Nicawesome/media/The%20Cavalier/IMG_0425_zps2f886e61.jpg.html]

I was having problems with my head unit shutting down when it got up to a certain volume last fall, so I pulled it and swapped in everything from the Sunfire. I think I found the problem!

Fixed. It will probably end up in the Sunfire, as I don't want to pull everything from the cav

Almost done wiring under the hood. Now I need to pull the engine and finish the engine bay, but I need a welder to do so

It's a mess!

I got my rear view mirror mounted and wired

PCM relocation progress

The Sunfire build is taking longer than I expected, so I've decided to take a little more time and do a better job. It unfortunetly won't make it the JBOM BBQ yet again this year, or my other car show in June, but I will have it done for the Tri-Power Nationals in August. At least I should see my wideband this week, so I can get that wired in.

I am contemplating going with a fuel cell, thoughts?

Thursday, May 16, 2013 5:57 AM
Just out of curiosity, why are you relocating the ECM? Where was it before? IIRC, that module will fit in the passenger side frame mount using the same plastic clip as the factory ECM.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search