Vert Build. Can never have too many! - Page 7 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Vert Build. Can never have too many!
Thursday, May 16, 2013 6:12 AM
In the sunfire it sat on the passenger frame rail held by a metal bracket (right where the car was in an accident previously), but my overflow tank currently resides there. In the GTP it sat on the drivers side in the air box, so it was going to be a little bit of work to put it anywhere, and I don't like having such an important component exposed to the elements like that.

Actually installing it where it's at was easier than I thought it would be, but it's tight.

Thursday, May 16, 2013 11:13 AM
I was driving through the Grand Valley Allendale campus earlier this year and spotted your vert parked in those apartments near the stadium.

Thursday, May 16, 2013 7:59 PM
Yup, I lived in that first building there and liked to back into the first spot. I didn't drive much, I just like looking at the car every time I walked back to the apartment Starting in August, I will be living to the south, just off campus. If you're ever in the area and want to get a drink or something, let me know. In the mean time I'm back over by Lansing.

Saturday, June 15, 2013 11:09 PM
Got the cav all prettied up for the JBOM BBQ

And again for a big local car show

I've been getting pretty exhausted working on the wiring for the sunfire, but after tearing all of it apart again, I'm getting it to the point where I'm starting to be happy with it. I've been putting in larger gauge wire for power systems, removing all unnecessary wire, adding all my extras into the harnesses, and adjusting wire lengths to make everything fit better.

Re-routed the wiper motor to go straight through the firewall, instead of going through the engine bay

I've been accumulating a pile of parts, so I decided to start fitting some of them on

Should fix my cracked and restrictive manifold problem, and that shine

Sunday, June 16, 2013 8:26 AM
Headers for a n/a 3800... Top swap it next! Haha..

Sunday, June 16, 2013 1:16 PM
02_redbadged wrote:Headers for a n/a 3800... Top swap it next! Haha..

Looks supercharged to me.

Monday, June 17, 2013 1:58 AM
I should have looked at the previous page! Lol

In my defense... The oil cap does say 5w30. Supercharged motors use 10w30.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 6:22 PM
Well it's been a while since I've updated this. I was doing a lot of work on it, but it was mostly wiring, and pictures don't really show much with that, despite the incredible amount of work that went into it. I should make a list of all the modifications to my wiring sometime, it's a lot.

Went on a road trip with Darren to Ohio to help get Whitecavy's car running, even if only for little bit. Darren and I spotted this on the way back, a modern rendition of a Studebaker Avanti. We spent quite a while trying to catch up to it and even then couldn't figure out what it was.

I also bought a new toolbox and spent some time freshening that back up.

After getting that on the bench (it took some time to find room for the behemoth) and getting things straitened out after a welder I bought on ebay never showed up, I got a new welder and felt like a kid in a candy store putting it together. I paid a visit to the pick-n-pull and dropped a K-frame from an 03+ LSS with a 24 mm sway bar (unfortunately the bumpers/skirts were gone). New K-frame vs. the old one

Now I'm trying to get a G6 intermediate shaft, but not having any luck. The local dealership says they can no longer get them, and now I'm heavily considering going AWD, but probably won't. It looks like the project's a bit stalled until I figure out what I'm doing there, as it will affect the design of my last engine mount.

Thursday, August 01, 2013 6:17 AM
Nic Crosby wrote:Yup, I lived in that first building there and liked to back into the first spot. I didn't drive much, I just like looking at the car every time I walked back to the apartment Starting in August, I will be living to the south, just off campus. If you're ever in the area and want to get a drink or something, let me know. In the mean time I'm back over by Lansing.

Cool man, we will have to get together at some point. I am heading back to Grand Valley this fall as well, so I will be out there from time to time.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 7:14 PM
Well I managed to find and get a brand new jack shaft for the car, college payment time came around and the Gov't didn't feel like helping me out this time around, so the car budget was scrapped. I'll be doing a few tinker things with the car before heading back for my last semester, but nothing much.

On the flip side, I have a full time job lined up starting in January so hopefully by next spring I should have a car budget again. I decided I'm going to take it a bit slower on the car, spend a little more money, and add a few extra things I was holding off on, a fuel cell, larger stainless hard lines, and e85

Still not sure what I want for a fuel cell and pumps, but lots of time to figure it out.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 7:25 PM
Awesome news on the job dude. It's not at the same place you're at now right?

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 7:33 PM
Yeah, same place. A few things have come together since the last time we talked. When I start full time, they should be building the new shop. I got to see the first draft of blue prints last night and it is going to be a lot bigger, should be nice.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 9:06 PM
Hopefully that job comes with the extra's that you need.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 10:54 AM
Yeah, things will be different when I go full time, benefits, paid vacation, larger bonuses, and not being forgotten about when it comes to pay raises. As I get classes done, I will be going from doing set-up to being a technician, hopefully.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 8:22 PM
Awesome man. Good luck

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 8:36 PM
Thanks, I have a lot to learn before that though. I learned the hard way this morning to pay attention to what voltage system a tractor uses, I ended up having a battery grenade in my face.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 6:37 PM
It's been a while since I updated this. I haven't gotten too much done, between school, family, and the bitter cold temps, but enough that I will probably split my updates into four parts.

I decided I would use a pillow block for the jack shaft

Made the mounts for my fuse block relocation

Then got a coat of primer on the GTO so I could move it into storage (I forgot how rough the body is on that) and move the Sunfire into the garage for the winter

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 6:47 PM
I beefed up the subframe for the other engine mount. 1/4" flat stock and 3/8" 2" x 2" tubing, the notch on the left side is for the differential. I've gotten really good a removing and installing the subframe with all the test fitting I did. FE3 sway bar with moog urethane bushings and end links, with a 2.5 turn lock to lock rack, and unmodded n-body control arms.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 6:57 PM
The making of the engine and jackshaft mount. I needed the holes to be 2" and my largest hole saw is 1 3/4".

Tacked together

Fitment, the engine doesn't budge or sit low on the back side anymore.

Thursday, February 20, 2014 4:11 AM
Glad to see more work getting done!

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, February 20, 2014 12:45 PM
Nice man!! Keep it up.

Yea its been too damn cold, I think a lot of us have been lazy because of that lol.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ

Thursday, February 20, 2014 12:46 PM
BTW, are you worried about water/moisture getting into the fuse block?

306 TQ
Thursday, February 20, 2014 7:47 PM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:Glad to see more work getting done!

Thanks!

WHITECAVY wrote:Nice man!! Keep it up.

Yea its been too damn cold, I think a lot of us have been lazy because of that lol.

WHITECAVY wrote:BTW, are you worried about water/moisture getting into the fuse block?

I know, I've been taking online classes for work and I've taken three times as many in the past month alone as most take in a year. I gave up on working in the cold after replacing the belt on my air compressor four times due to the moisture in the compressor freezing, seizing the compressor and the motor burning the belt off.

I will be running wheel liners, and may make a splash shield for it, so I'm not too worried at the moment. I'll re-devise the layout later on if moisture becomes an issue.

Thursday, February 20, 2014 7:57 PM
And to get completely caught up on updates on here, I have been working on cutting up the exhaust tunnel to fit the rear header.

I also swapped out the old busted door panels for the ones from my parts Sunfire and installed my heated seat switch.

Friday, February 21, 2014 10:40 AM
Yea wheel liners should protect it, as long as your not driving through lakes or anything LOL

306 TQ
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search