my 2005 "FrankenCav" - Page 2 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: my 2005
Thursday, April 19, 2012 5:29 PM
JBP stage 2 cams arrived today and I got them installed after school. They lope a little with the new glass pack I added after the cat. Performance was better even with 2 other people in the car and there was actually less cabin vibration than my stock cams w/ rigid exhaust mounts and poly upper motor mount.

Re: my 2005 "FrankenCav"
Sunday, April 22, 2012 2:24 PM
Pics after the new mods. Cams, painted reservoir, new front trim, and another significant performance mod. Who can spot it?

updated interior and trunk shots:

Sunday, April 22, 2012 6:40 PM
My eyes are @!#$, but is that a revolver chamber for a shift knob?

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance
Monday, April 23, 2012 2:07 AM
Evan Undead (The Black Pearl) wrote:My eyes are @!#$, but is that a revolver chamber for a shift knob?

Sort-of. That was my v-day present from my girlfriend. It's an aftermarket 44mag shift knob since I'm into building firearms,
Monday, April 23, 2012 6:11 AM
44 mag shift knob over cams any day... awesome! good stuff, hows the cams feel, any cel's?

Monday, April 23, 2012 10:28 AM
Any tuning done for the cams?

Monday, April 23, 2012 3:09 PM
Scorpio1 bishes... wrote:44 mag shift knob over cams any day... awesome! good stuff, hows the cams feel, any cel's?

Cams feel great. They seem to pull harder past 4500 or so, but that's my subjective viewpoint. Surprisingly less vibration through the entire RPM range vs. stockers. I have a rigid exhaust mount and poly upper motor mount. No CEL for me! I talked to JBP and they said that I do in fact have stage 3's like I had ordered; they're just mis-marked as stage 2's.

BuiltNBoosted wrote:Any tuning done for the cams?

No tuning at the moment. I'm saving up for a wideband before I get to that point.

No guesses to the performance upgrade? (other than the gain from a 44 mag knob. lol)
Tuesday, April 24, 2012 3:59 PM
Here's the hidden surprise:

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 4:00 PM
If a mod could swap out one of the doubled pics for this one that'd be awesome:

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 4:27 PM
I was going to joking say "the nitrous bottle in the bag". That is an awesome hiding place.

Error: Sig not found.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 4:47 PM
Stage 2 cams, nitrous, no tuning....... yikes.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 5:09 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:Stage 2 cams, nitrous, no tuning....... yikes.

Only a 35 shot right now. I want to tune before going bigger.
Tuesday, April 24, 2012 5:22 PM
Id tune with any form of aftermarket cam no matter what. Also need to look at valvetrain for aftermarket cams. You could be coil binding or floating along with spray will equal a bad deal... cams arent just a $300 drop and go... valvetrain adds up fast.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 6:42 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:Id tune with any form of aftermarket cam no matter what. Also need to look at valvetrain for aftermarket cams. You could be coil binding or floating along with spray will equal a bad deal... cams arent just a $300 drop and go... valvetrain adds up fast.

I planned on porting my spare head (had a valve job done a few months before the motor swap). I'll run some better springs as well to better suit my cams. Does anyone know if LSK or LNF springs would be a good option? If not, WERKS racing seems to have a good deal.
Wednesday, April 25, 2012 4:33 PM
Supertech is pretty popular.

Error: Sig not found.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 7:19 PM
FYI, not that you will need them but 94's are out of stock... order was placed two weeks ago.....

Friday, April 27, 2012 9:30 AM
looks like youre off to a good start there
Sunday, May 13, 2012 5:22 PM

I cut and turned an extra pair of "balance" shafts for my planned balance shaft delete. Now to do the alum. sleeves.

Within the past week or 2, I got my Glowshift wideband gauge installed, so I need to take a pic of it in action.

Also, 82# valve springs and retainers are on the way to go with the new cams. ... along with another performance upgrade!
Saturday, December 01, 2012 4:21 PM
It's been a while since I've made an update, but here's what I've done since last posting.

-ZZP valve springs & retainers
-remove N2O
-Tokico D-Spec struts up front (rear some in later this month)
-custom dash gauge setup with Glowshift wideband, oil pressure, and boost/ vac.
-prothane lower motor mount (the one that says it'll not fit the Eco... BS)
-Pioneer 6.5" front speakers
-Pioneer 6x9 rear speakers
-open glasspack exhaust exiting behind rear tire

As for removing my Nitrous Express system... I'm going turbo. Everything's getting mocked up on a spare Eco block and head I have in the shop.

Turbo setup so far:

IHI RB52 turbo (rebuilt by myself)
STS cast manifold
CX Racing intercooler & piping
Tial 50mm BOV
Tial 38mm wastegate

I need to swap for either a turbo cam grind or factory cams sometime soon. Something tells me that my stage 3 NA cams will be slightly inefficient.
Saturday, December 01, 2012 7:57 PM
I like your front/rear combination...

Maybe I'm just bias?

Nice performance progress

Sunday, December 02, 2012 5:14 AM
Mrs Jazer wrote:I like your front/rear combination...

Maybe I'm just bias?

Nice performance progress

Thanks, and I actually want to go with either LS sides like yours or no side skirts and run with a base rear bumper. Bodywork should come around springtime once it warms up.

Sunday, December 16, 2012 6:36 PM
Today, I sourced a set of LSS sides that I plan to pick up this weekend if all goes well. Also got two 'vert strut bars and installed one in the place of my modded Caddy bar.

Here's a pic of what else I accomplished the past two days:

More pics will come this weekend once I start the full turbo install, but until then, I have my intercooler mounted as well as my charge piping to the TB mocked up.

Sunday, December 16, 2012 7:30 PM
Sweet. I originally planned to run nos but switched to turbo as well.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Saturday, February 16, 2013 8:43 PM
We need to see the new updates Josh!

Sunday, February 17, 2013 4:33 AM
Once I get my bumpers slapped on, I'll throw up some pictures of the new front end, rear end, and turbo badness.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search