Newish car......build thread... - Page 2 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Newish car......build thread...
Saturday, June 02, 2012 2:39 PM
I cant wait to get rid of the konis lol.

Ive had 3 sets over the years and nothing but problems from them. Just havent found a suitable replacement as of yet.

Saturday, June 02, 2012 9:00 PM
Eh...I'll be on my 2nd set of fronts. The one on the passenger side keeps locking up as far as adjusting goes. I bought them used and chalked them up to that. Bought another set and installed one...same issue. Pulled and installed other one. Pulled and replaced with stock suspension till I have money to get another new set of fronts. Can't say I've ever ran across someone having this issue. They last about 2 years though so as long as i don't lose the spare in between it's not too bad. I.have a hard time handing out $700 for struts at one time, but over 6 years its okay...that's the only way I justify this.

Sunday, June 03, 2012 6:06 AM
Yah......I have had 2 pass side fronts leak out the adjusters, I have a third set here thats all locked up and leaking, 2 sets of rears now have the lower bushings completely gone so its barely attached to the rear axle.

Next year im going STD's or something similar.
Saturday, June 23, 2012 5:37 PM
In light of needing new tires....I decided to clean up my other set of wheels. Doing it by hand right now but im going to try a powerball to get a bit more lustre here shortly.

Cant decide what set of rims I like more.

Before:

After:

Contrast:

Saturday, June 23, 2012 6:57 PM
Here is a wheel I just started.....hard to show how bad they are but a huge difference a few minutes of work does!

Saturday, June 23, 2012 8:40 PM
Wow, big difference, Ive seen your wheels on your car when the previous owner had it, and they look pretty close to how I remember them from back then, bravo.

Saturday, June 23, 2012 11:30 PM
those look pretty nice... better so if they were all silver.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, June 23, 2012 11:30 PM

Sunday, June 24, 2012 6:37 AM
Yah.....

I dont mind them. The only real reason they are going on is they have a decent set of tires on them and I need to make it till next year since my money is spent elsewhere currently.

Im thinking of selling both sets next year and trying a set of LM reps or repainting the Drag's a new color.....
Sunday, June 24, 2012 11:16 AM
gotta love boost! i like the speedo!

Saturday, July 21, 2012 3:06 PM
Spent some time today installing my new deck and inline amp.

Ive been in search of a double din deck with physical controls, and a decent screen and had to have ipod control out of the rear versus the front like most decks.

So I picked up a Alpine IXA-w404. I also added Alpines inline amp for a decent power boost. Also added a polished aluminum tilt lever. Ill be throwing my components in tomorrow. But I was still shocked how good this thing makes even the stock 4x6's sound.

I put my amp here but ended up having to move it because of the airbagstrap that connects to the dash frame. I moved it to on top of the vent tubes. Perfect fit!

And the lever

Sunday, July 22, 2012 6:38 AM
Tech N9ne deck looks great, and i know what yah mean about the usb in the rear, i hate seeing cables everywhere

Sunday, July 22, 2012 8:06 AM
Its a sick deck...only bad thing is it doesnt do cd's but meh. I love the physical controls as well, no need to ever touch the screen unless you want to
Wednesday, August 01, 2012 5:44 PM
This weekend consisted of getting myself intercooled! Ill say this...if you havent intercooled your supercharged car yet..your failing at life! I cant even come up with the words to explain the difference.

I took a little more slow approach to it and made sure everything is going to last and not cause me any issues. Ill show how I mounted my ZZP S3 intercooler.

On the rear I didnt like how the tabs lined up and didn't like bending them to try and make them half-assed fit and wanted the intercooler to sit level.

So I found center and looked at what I had to do to make it fit around the stock rails. I cut a 1" strap out of a old street sign and this is what I came up with.

For the front I used a piece of 1.5" thin wall angle stock and this is how I did it. I drew a line that followed the bumper support and mounted the tabs to that and cut them to match the ZZP tabs.

Next I figured out my line routing. Not the way I had thought up in my head but I think it works great

I didn't see a need for the extra metal on the Cobalt pump bracket so I cut it off. It looked like it was close to the motor as well and didnt want it possibly tapping on the motor causing false knock issues.

Pump mounted and a better look at my hose routing/protection

And then I mounted the Cobalt filler neck. Just used a piece of sign again and bent it to fit.

Sleeper??

I didnt bother taking pics of the wiring. The previous owner kinda made a mess of it all so I was in a bad mood fixing it all.

But to give an idea. On the way to my parents to do the intercooler install and a little vacation my highest temps were in the 220* range and lowest was 165 or so cruising. On the way home cruising was around 110* and dropped when I stomped on it. So amazing!
Wednesday, August 01, 2012 5:50 PM
Oh and I also installed my TTR trans mounts.... I like them.

Old and busted versus new hotness

Wednesday, August 01, 2012 6:04 PM
Lookin good

Wednesday, August 01, 2012 6:37 PM
good work, everything is looking great.

Wednesday, August 01, 2012 7:24 PM
Damn rite bro looking great.. Also great job on mounting the heat exchanger it looks like its pretty solid.. Really diggin your Cavy and work bro..Keep it up!!
Tuesday, August 07, 2012 9:29 AM
Looks great! TTR Bushings are the best bushings to use in the cavalier/sunfires. Those dang holes prothane puts in theirs deforms the bushing quickly over time. We dont put those in there.

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Tuesday, August 07, 2012 9:58 AM
Looks great! Nice work!

Wednesday, August 08, 2012 5:44 AM
nice upgrades

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Sunday, September 16, 2012 1:53 PM
So this is how my day went....

I was just driving to Costco this morn and .....BANG!!!!Grind grind.....

Pulled over and lifted the hood to find the belt all gone except 2 ribs. Being a sunday I was worried I wouldnt find a belt. Luckily a local auto parts store had one hidden in the back. I limped it out there and it made it home. Changed the belt. Man its a pita!

Monday, September 17, 2012 8:42 AM
awesome car. I hope to do similar mods with the '03 I just picked up
Wednesday, September 26, 2012 6:32 PM
Today I decided to grab the parts to put a fuel pressure gauge on my fuel line. I plan on tapping the fuel rail in the future since I dont like the way it is but for the time being and the need of seeing if my fuel pump is putting out the correct pressure itll work.

Thursday, September 27, 2012 5:49 AM
Elegant and simple for what its needed for, I like it. function over form wins here.

Thursday, September 27, 2012 6:19 AM
Im not a huge fan of it personally....but like you say function over form right now.

Cost me $65 to do and lets me know the fuel pump is in good shape.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search