Newish car......build thread... - Page 5 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Cheap Taiwanese crap!
Tuesday, May 07, 2013 5:05 AM
WOW those BC's are setup really, really nice. Almost crushes my dreams of Teins completely. Keep us posted on your hpt progress, I'm really interested in how it turns out for you. Hopefully well!

"In Oldskool we trust"

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 5:27 AM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:Which version did you get. I REALLY liking the BC over the Teins...

This is a run down of what I bought.

BC BR series, extreme drop, Swift spring upgrade with 7k front, 5k rear.
Tuesday, May 07, 2013 5:28 AM
Ill also add the nice thing is these are fully rebuildable at home. Pull the old cartridge out and pop the new one in....cartridges are $100
Tuesday, May 07, 2013 6:54 AM
Do you use our stock rear mounts with these?

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 10:11 AM
Every time I see these I look at my Tiens and go don't get me wrong the Tiens are nice but these blow them away.
Tuesday, May 07, 2013 10:31 AM
Philly D wrote:
-MD- Enforcer wrote:Which version did you get. I REALLY liking the BC over the Teins...

This is a run down of what I bought.

BC BR series, extreme drop, Swift spring upgrade with 7k front, 5k rear.

How is the ride on those spring rates?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, May 07, 2013 10:48 AM
Where did you get the coilovers?

Every site I look at only has them for the Cobalt.
Tuesday, May 07, 2013 12:43 PM
RED wrote:Every time I see these I look at my Tiens and go don't get me wrong the Tiens are nice but these blow them away.

This!

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 12:48 PM
The BC's look really great man. I didn't realize til now that they had threaded bodies...had a I known that a few months ago I may have gone this route instead of Teins. I'm anxious to hear how the ride is with the Swifts. My buddy runs these on his '04 STI and absolutely loves them.

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 4:50 PM
Well today I picked up some new rear strut mounts and my new belt tensioner showed up!

The more I look at these struts I am impressed. They have a "tophat" for the rears so it distributes the weight of the vehicle over the whole bottom of the strut mount. The tophat is also made so that it fits snugly on the mount so the spring wont move about.....my ground controls didn't have that! On top of that they add what swift calls thrust sheets. They allow the spring to twist and not bind creating a smoother ride.

Now they are all together and ready for install except for setting the preload. One small snag though. My rear adjuster extenders don't fit on the rears, but they fit the fronts. Im going to contact the seller and see what he can do since my front adjusters don't fit the rear strut. If nothing else I can grind the knob down to fit the extenders.

If you cant tell im excited.....ive never had all new suspension!!!

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 4:52 PM
Luke.....yes they run stock mounts...

Rico...I found them on circuit motorsports. I joined up on naisoc and got a bit of a deal.

Mike....I havent installed them yet. Hopefully by the end of the month. I still have to buy or rent a fender roller and roll my fenders. before I put them on.

Sunday, May 19, 2013 5:16 PM
love the bc colors, ill probably be going with those for my white car honestly.. when the time comes anyway.

one thing though, besides being able to adjust strut body height i dont see how these are any better than tein ssp's... at least with the tein's you get a rear top mount. ill never understand why so many coilover companies make us reuse our stupid stock rear mounts. they suck, they rip out constantly and are not something you'd want to put on top of a quaility coilover setup such as these.. well at least i certainly wouldnt anyway. so that and the fact you can get the EDFC with the tein's still sways me. but god the bc's look tits.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, May 19, 2013 5:17 PM

M45/OS crank/2.4 snout. It's nice to be injected but I love being blown!
Sunday, May 19, 2013 5:24 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:one thing though, besides being able to adjust strut body height i dont see how these are any better than tein ssp's.

This is it, slammed and full strut travel, that option blows away the Teins all on its own. Plus should they actually blow you replace the cartridge instead of sending them in to the manufacturer. Plus they aren't tractor green.

Sunday, May 19, 2013 9:06 PM
I think with the way the rear strut has a cup that spreads the forces out itll help the rear mounts last longer. Really though for $30 who cares if you have to change a mount or two. I agree though Teins rear mounts are much nicer. Sadly BC didnt want to make rear mounts for us. I tried..
Monday, May 27, 2013 4:01 PM
Well not much of an update really.

Installed my new belt tensioner and found out I was missing a bolt that holds on my idle pulley on the motor.....

I have a odd rattle in the motor when the motor is cold so I rushed a new timing set out here and ran to Vernon....only to find out my timing set is mint. Now I have a spare timing set minus a couple TTY bolts, but ill be using it on my new motor build. I opened up the motor to find I got lucky and my timing marks were lined up!

For those trying to access the hidden upper guide bolt though if you cut a allen key down you can make it fit without having to jack the motor up out of the way. Just unbolt the motor mount and it slides right in.

I had a issue with the new suspension with the rear adjuster extenders not fitting the extenders. They were slightly larger. BC is looking into it but in the mean time I made it work.

I decided to clean up my rear sway bar bracketry with a fresh coat of paint before I install it all.

Monday, May 27, 2013 4:49 PM
What's your odd rattle from then if the timing set is good?

Monday, May 27, 2013 5:30 PM
Man I have no damn clue...

Both me and my dad spent a pile of time looking and listening to the motor.

My thoughts is its a lazy lifter. Im going to grab a few sets of lifters at pick and pull and swap them out and see if the noise goes away. Using a long piece of aluminum I cant pinpoint where its coming from. Closest spot I can come to is around the oil filter area so that's kinda where a lifter would be.. I plan on building a motor this winter.
Monday, May 27, 2013 6:00 PM
Could be...sometimes i hear noises but they come and go. From when it was new i thought these were just noisey motors

Monday, May 27, 2013 6:03 PM
Its a very pronounced noise....

But not much I can do. Ive done all I can do, and cant find the noise. I just take it easy on it until it warms up and then the noise is gone and drive it as normal.

Such as life.
Derp headlight
Sunday, June 02, 2013 9:48 AM
One of the biggest thing thats bugged me since I got the car was the poor fitment of the front end.

In taking a step in the right direction I am slowly working towards fixing it......

Today....bent headlight bracket.

Seems this car has hit something on the drivers side. Not a huge fender bender but I can tell its been hit. The drivers headlight has always been way way out to lunch when it comes to fitment so I swapped out brackets and bam.....fixed.

The bracket I swapped in

Headlight alignment before fix (Thats how the headlight had to sit to have close to the same as the other side...lol)

After fix

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, June 02, 2013 8:04 PM
Sunday, June 02, 2013 2:42 PM
must see pics off how the car sitts on the coilovers [;ease!!

GOT ECOTEC?

Sunday, June 02, 2013 3:58 PM
Havent installed them yet..

Waiting for hot weather to roll my fenders..
Monday, July 01, 2013 8:50 AM
Got a few things done this weekend.

Most exciting is I got rid of about 95% of my KR issue. Turns out it was the fuel pump! It worked fine but was not able to keep up in demand.

I swapped in a Racetronix w-body pump and works perfect. I dont seem to have the prime issues alot of people have. I just get in and let it prime and it starts right up. Special thanks to Luke C for the crazy small venturi clamps.
This

Plus this

= much happier car
I also cleaned up my rear brakes since they were looking gross and rusty

Finally found a new bumper cover for my car so here its is with the lip. Time for paint!

I got some pics of my exhaust as well as covered it in VHT flameproof paint to help preserve it.

Monday, July 01, 2013 9:00 AM
Really glad to see you figured out that kr issue! Also, I'm jealous of that foam isolator and your lack of priming issues. Does the car feel stronger now?

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, July 01, 2013 9:24 AM
Feels much faster now and pulls nice and steady in comparison. Its not pulling *8 of timing now

If I pull 1st through 3rd gears it doesnt get any kr at all but I still do get some if I floor it in third. But I think that may be because I dont have a catch can which is allowing oil vapor to get into my intake tract. Oil vapor is known to lower your octane rating significantly. Catch can is on order.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search