Roofy's Sunflower progress thread. - Page 7 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Roofy's Sunflower progress thread.
Sunday, October 06, 2013 11:55 AM
Want to buy my twin disc setup???????

Sunday, October 06, 2013 11:56 AM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:Want to buy my twin disc setup???????

Does it come with a turbo cavalier?

"In Oldskool we trust"
Sunday, October 06, 2013 11:49 PM
Might as well make stuff look good while it is apart....
Attachments
IMG_20131006_212200_283.jpg (793k)

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Monday, October 07, 2013 2:50 AM
Is that jet coating a ceramic coating? I always ceramic coated my headers/ exhaust manifold myself. I saw that there is new high tem powdercoating for headers that can withstand 2,000 dregees that cures at 500 degrees. I wanted to try this just haven't had time. I tried a spray on high temp epoxy and it worked great but cracked, still was really glossy but looked like a broken iPhone.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Monday, October 07, 2013 4:50 AM
Y3llowCav wrote:
BuiltNBoosted wrote:Want to buy my twin disc setup???????

Does it come with a turbo cavalier?

Not at the moment unless you were interested.

I'd sell the clutch separate for sure. Under 1000 miles on it for an insane price...

Monday, October 07, 2013 10:24 AM
How insane??? And what's drivability like???

Monday, October 07, 2013 11:31 AM
Like once I find my clutch that id want, that plus a SLIGHT amount of cash kind of insane deal. Would be the twin disc clutch, plus the clutch masters aluminum flywheel. It has to go with it. Whole combo was $1800. Would NOT charge that at all.

Driveability is not terrible. I just don't have the time to race on it like it should be. It needs to be put to its potential and I just can't do that. My car has been down more than it has up and sucks just letting it sit. I wouldn't be able to pull it out until I find a replacement clutch. The best thing about the clutch for driveability is the fact that it engages the SAME place every single time. My other favorite part is that the engagement window is severely trimmed down. What I mean by that is, the pedal only needs to travel half as far as the stock clutch. Only thing about that is that you have to make a pedal stop in the car so you dont over extend the fingers on the clutch and adjust the neutral safety switch. VERY minor stuff and id send you what I have at least to give you a start.

Wouldn't be hard to get it pulled out of the car except im getting married this month. So it would probably be next month at the soonest. Not to mention finding a clutch to put in there! But until now, I never thought about selling it. Its definitely a bad ass clutch that bites like crazy. Im not even sure I have 500 miles on it. I can assure you there are no drag passes on it!

Once I get figures on the clutch I want to replace mine, I will let you know asap. I need to talk to some suppliers and see what I should go with and what its going to cost me. Ill keep you posted for sure!!

Monday, October 07, 2013 9:53 PM
Rob Dotterer wrote:Is that jet coating a ceramic coating? I always ceramic coated my headers/ exhaust manifold myself. I saw that there is new high tem powdercoating for headers that can withstand 2,000 dregees that cures at 500 degrees. I wanted to try this just haven't had time. I tried a spray on high temp epoxy and it worked great but cracked, still was really glossy but looked like a broken iPhone.

Yes it is the Jet-Hot ceramic coating. It really does cut down on the under hood temps compared to bare metal. My thanks to Vince for the suggestion/idea on that one. My exhaust wrap helps with that a lot too. I FINALLY got my new clutch kit in the mail, so hopefully the car is drivable at some point this week. Hopefully there is an opportunity tomake one more track event before the end of the season.

Tuesday, October 08, 2013 8:30 AM
Wishing you all the best to get this back together man

Just as an FYI,

Ground Control sells just 2.5" Eibach coil over springs in 100 different combinations of lengths and spring rates for good prices. The 2.5" width is pretty much the universal coilover spring size.

Not sure where you plan on going with this rear suspension idea, but if you running just one set of springs in the back, 600lb-in springs work well. The ride is somewhat tolerable on the street and have almost no compression under launch at the track.

If you don't care about how it rides on the street, go with 1000lb-in.

Tuesday, October 08, 2013 8:49 AM
Buddy had 800lb rears in his neon.....that is stiff....

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, October 08, 2013 9:47 AM
I got 750# eibach springs on it right now. The rear is raised up an inch or so from the Tokico setup, it should work well, and since its on coilovers I can adjust ride height to optimize traction. Its the generic EBay coilovers with stock struts and mounts, but I figured since this is an experiment and will only be used at the strip it really won't matter. I don't want to spend a lot of money on something that might not work too well.

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 9:28 PM
Jet Hot was one of the best investments I have ever made. After driving for 6 hours straight to the bash and popping my hood and touching my exhaust housing on the turbo 15 minutes later, I was sold!

Thursday, January 30, 2014 6:24 PM
Some new goodies for the sunflower!!!

N2MB 2-step box is wired up and installed. SUPER EASY installation. Took me maybe 1.5 hours total, and that's just because I'm picky and hid all of the wires. I can provide a write-up if anyone is interested.

GM racing hardened oil pump gears are installed into an almost brand new housing with less than 5K miles on it.

New custom made Bosch 92#/hr injectors are here but not installed yet. I am waiting for spring time and a retune on those.

TTR intake manifold with LS1 ported throttle body is here. Just waiting on time to install and fabricate new intercooler pipe.

Not pictured but I also have a new Weapon R catch can that will be going on as well.

Should be an interesting year. Shooting for 400+ WHP and 11's.
Attachments
IMG_20140122_144332_142.jpg (761k)
IMG_20140124_142147_199.jpg (788k)

Thursday, January 30, 2014 8:19 PM
Nice!!! Good call on upgrading the oil pump gears before the 2step!
Friday, January 31, 2014 3:46 AM
That intake mani is beast. And I promise you won't be disappointed with those injectors either. Where did you pick up the hardened gears from?

Hope you hit your goal!

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, January 31, 2014 4:53 AM
Got the gears from SMG motoring. I hope the TTR intake makes more power than the 2.4 manifold I'm currently using.

Friday, January 31, 2014 5:36 AM
Shoot me the write up for the N2MB please!

Friday, January 31, 2014 5:41 AM
Roofy wrote:Got the gears from SMG motoring. I hope the TTR intake makes more power than the 2.4 manifold I'm currently using.

Seems like Fred's the only guy who has these anymore. Man they're expensive.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Saturday, February 01, 2014 5:17 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:Shoot me the write up for the N2MB please!

Will do a write up with pictures within a week or so depending on outcome from my surgery. It WILL be done though.

Sunday, February 02, 2014 3:35 PM
Awesome update, vids of 2 step? I look forward to the write up.

Sunday, March 02, 2014 12:54 AM
I have some long overdue updates. First off, I got the TTR aluminum intake manifold installed. I ordered the one with the LS1 throttle body flange.

Of course I can never leave well enough alone, so I modified it even before it was installed. I chopped up an old throttle bracket and bolted it to the top of the manifold. The factory J cable works perfect with the manifold and throttle body now. Also, its unseen but I drilled and tapped a 3/8 NPT hole on the underside of the manifold for my IAT sensor.

With the different orientation of the sensors and different type of plugins for certain sensors with the LS1 throttle body, extention and modification of my wiring was necessary. The LS1 uses the same IAC valve plug in and wiring colors as the factory J harness. A set of side cuts and 8" or so of a pigtail, some heat shrink tubing and solder, and the harness plugs right in! I had to do the same with the 2 wire IAT pigtail as well.

The TPS sensor is a different style plug in from the LS1 to the J throttle body, the LS being a round plug in and the J bejng a rectangular. But again all the wiring color codes match up. Luckily GM uses/used the same style connectors and wiring schemes on tons of different vehicles. I got my extended harness pigtails and different TPS plug in from a mid 90's Beretta.

The only real failure I had was during the swap over to the new manifold, I broke my custom 2.5 bar MAP sensor!!! After being pissed and throwing things around for a few minutes I calmed down and looked for a rational fix. I decided to splice in an older style GM MAP sensor pigtail and am currently using a 2-bar sensor off of a 3800 S/C. If my tuner warrants it, I can easily upgrade by simply plugging in a 3-bar from a 3.8 Grand National or Turbo Trans Am. Omni Power has the 3 bar sensor readily available aftermarket.

Also installed a Weapon R catch can. Nothing major but it beats just having a breather on the valve cover.

Sunday, March 02, 2014 2:20 AM

The LS1 Throttle Body I installed wasn't just an ordinary TB. I ordered a Potz Performance ported and blended throttle body. It is larger and comes with a modified throttle blade and throttle stop for maximum flow and performance. Also most F body TB's have the air hole in the throttle blade that can cause idle and tuning issues when installed on our cars. The throttle blade from the C5 Corvette is a direct swap and doesn't have the hole in the blade.

I also did a complete re-design of the lower radiator hoses and both small coolant lines. I used hard line with rubber ends and T-bolt hose clamps for the small hoses. This let me eliminate some unnecessary hose, route everything batter, and cleaned up the area a bit. The factory lower radiator hose has a T built into it that runs over to the lower outlet of the coolant tank. I found a radiator hose that is the same shape but doesn't have the T built into it. The lower outlet of the coolant tank now runs to a nipple on the metal coolant line directly below the rear of the cylinder head. This also eliminated ALOT of unnecessary hose and cleaned up the engine bay tremendously. If anyone is interested in this hose I can dig in my receipts and find the part number.

Along with the manifold, lines and other things, I installed my custom made Bosch 92#/hour injectors. These have the correct vehicle specific spray pattern for the Ecotec engines, and should result in better drivability and performance according to other users. A shout-outHERE to Y3llowCav for the information. I already had the correct plug-ins with my Siemens Deka injectors on my old harness, but decided to make a new one anyways. I used the pigtails off of a 3800 GM harness. These pigtails also have a quick release button built into them for ease of removal. And yes, I used a cigarette lighter to solder and heat shrink all of my connections. Don't judge!!!

I also completed installation and tuning of my N2MB WOT/2-Step box. I will devote a separate thread to the write-up of that so it can be more easily found if others need it. All that is left for right now is a couple of things finished up to get the Sunflower running and a re-tune for more power.

Oh, and also.... this.

Sunday, March 02, 2014 7:09 AM
Awesome update, are you looking for 400whp on corn or pump gas?

Sunday, March 02, 2014 8:07 AM
Don't matter as long as I get there.

Sunday, March 02, 2014 11:03 AM
Look at you go :-) nice work man! Hope to see you at the track this year. Im working on a few suprises my self!

I Love My J ♡
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search