Its All-Motor......just with a Turbo. - Page 4 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Its All-Motor......just with a Turbo.
Wednesday, September 26, 2012 11:40 AM
Love the updates! U ever get any info or pix on the manifold/TB???

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 12:34 PM
No I keep forgetting I wrote a note to remind me next time I'm in the shop tho, when I get them I'll send you a PM.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 1:45 PM
I know its only 1/8" but just keep an eye on it. I know 1/8" doesnt sound like much but the more you can get drained out of the turbo the better. I would get as big as you can. Obviously pending what psi you have coming into it but I know at cold start idle im at 80, 40ish once warmed up idling and I wish I knew how to figure out how much oil difference that is but im not nearly smart enough in math to figure it out.

Also, where are you pulling your oil feed from? and what size is that feed line? I was pulling off the driver side of the head and was only at 15psi hot with a -4 an line.

Your turbo pic is a lie being taller since you have the vband connector bolted to it Im onto your game!

Good luck, hope you get it put together soon. Excited to see it get going.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 4:21 PM
Ya, turbo rebuilder said it would be fine and any oil flange you can buy for a T3/T4 is a 1/2" NPT threaded....so I think I should be safe. Turbo rebuilder said since its such a super straight and short hose for the oil return then it shouldn't be an issue. He said it was a more complicated return I should go bigger, but thats not the case.

Turbo feed is from the oil ports on the back of my motor, its a -4an line.

And yes, thats a v-band adapter, I figured someone would eventually point that out hahaha

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 6:08 PM
newt wrote:DSMskyline - Yup it fits surprisingly.

LAFNGAS - I know, I'm slightly concerned about the clutch holding up, but only time will tell....so lets hope it does.

BuiltNBoosted - I'll have to get back to you on the turbo specs, I forgot to get them from the re-builder. As for the drain line, I'm going with 1/2" ID hose, according to the turbo re builder that should be fine since its such a straight, short shot from the turbo back to the pan.

if anything pops up let me know on the clutch and can hook you up no problemo

love the build, if only you werent over in ontario

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 6:30 PM
yeah i switch to the vband adapter this time around and its a million times easier. Have you had it running yet to see what oil pressure is at that spot?

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 6:45 PM
LAFNGAS wrote:
newt wrote:DSMskyline - Yup it fits surprisingly.

LAFNGAS - I know, I'm slightly concerned about the clutch holding up, but only time will tell....so lets hope it does.

BuiltNBoosted - I'll have to get back to you on the turbo specs, I forgot to get them from the re-builder. As for the drain line, I'm going with 1/2" ID hose, according to the turbo re builder that should be fine since its such a straight, short shot from the turbo back to the pan.

if anything pops up let me know on the clutch and can hook you up no problemo

love the build, if only you werent over in ontario

Suck it up. I'm heading that way in december, I may have to sneak a tour in over there.

I need a new sig.
Thursday, September 27, 2012 8:38 AM
Scott - Thanks, I'll let you know man. To be perfectly honest next time around I will probably go with an ACT disk, but since they don't offer a pressure plate I'll snag one off you if I need it.

BuiltNBoosted - No, but that is the spot that everyone grabs pressure from for turbo builds on their LE5, ZZP kits included...so I think I'll be fine.

Thursday, September 27, 2012 6:56 PM
the oil feed is the same spot for the lnf/saab setups aswell
Monday, October 22, 2012 9:08 AM
Jesus tap dancing Christ, I managed to get some work done on my car this weekend.

Finished up the Meth install, decided not to be lazy and put the trunk Carpet back in properly.

Finally got the right drill bit so I could tap the girdle for my fitting, ran into an issue now tho.

The horizontal distance between the turbo oil outlet and the fitting in the girdle is too much for the vertical distance between the two. So I can't just use barbed fittings anymore, I'll have to get some 45* JIC fittings and make a hose to span the two.

Not super happy about that...but it is what it is.

Also got my fuel rail all hacked up to route my hoses for the portfueler fuel rail, didn't have enough hose tho so I couldn't finish that up.

Either way, progress is progress.

If I didn't constantly need stupid little parts...this would be going much smoother....LOL

Monday, October 22, 2012 7:26 PM
you actually did something?!?!? Are you feeling OK?

I need a new sig.

Monday, October 22, 2012 9:05 PM
LOL I'd love to work on it more, but I work 70-80hrs a week, and usually go 3 weeks or so without a day off.

Between that an trying to get in as much time on the street bike and dirt bike I don't have much free time

Monday, October 22, 2012 10:44 PM
Glad to hear there is progress, wish I was busy like that at work. Then i'd have the green to finish my build as well.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 11:26 AM
Ya, its a double edged sword really, its nice to be making good money, but I have no time to do the things I enjoy. I'm saving up for a house tho, so it really helps.

Anyways, quick pic I forgot to put up of the meth install.

Hopefully doing a parts run tonight to stock up on some parts and see what I can figure out for my oil return line.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 4:39 PM
I like the irony sticker in the back window

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 7:44 PM
TheSundownFire wrote:I like the irony sticker in the back window

I was just about to mention that
Tuesday, October 23, 2012 9:53 PM
Haha ya it's totally staying as well.

Made a parts run tonight, in this bag is the solution to all my problems

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 9:17 AM
Going to run my drain with -10JIC fittings now, should solve the issue.

Sort of worried about my feed line tho, I did some reading and -4JIC might be too much flow, but with a -10JIC return now it might not be an issue...I dunno.

Wondering if I need to put in a restricter in the line, I can't get -3JIC lines and fittings for free...so I don't really wanna have to switch over...LOL

Anyone else taking oil off the back oil gallery ports and running a -4an line with no restricter to a journal bearing turbo on here?? Any issues with blowing out seals?

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 10:22 AM
newt wrote:Going to run my drain with -10JIC fittings now, should solve the issue.

Sort of worried about my feed line tho, I did some reading and -4JIC might be too much flow, but with a -10JIC return now it might not be an issue...I dunno.

Wondering if I need to put in a restricter in the line, I can't get -3JIC lines and fittings for free...so I don't really wanna have to switch over...LOL

Anyone else taking oil off the back oil gallery ports and running a -4an line with no restricter to a journal bearing turbo on here?? Any issues with blowing out seals?

noooo dont listen to the American Kidding. Im running a -3 off the front but might move it to the back if there is a difference. Granted my -3 feed says its 70-80 100ish if i rev cold start but thats before it goes through the -3 line and into the turbo. Maybe you could get away with a restrictor just drill it out some?

Just because you cant get them free doesnt mean you shouldnt do it right..... if you REALLY do need to switch to -3.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 12:06 PM
Ya I can just get a restricter tho or make one myself.

The problem is do I NEED a restricter, I mean a -3an line has an ID of 3/16" and a -4an line has an ID of 4/16", yet all the restricters I can find have an orifice size comparable to ~1/16". Which would be comparable to running a -1an line, which makes no sense.

Unless a -4an line choked down to a ~1/16" orifice flows the same as a straight -3an line???

I don't know...I am le confused :S

I might have to make a post in the boost forum to get some more traffic on this topic...hopefully some of the big turbo guys will chime in.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 1:29 PM
Thats my question too. What I need to do is put a gauge right at my turbo. Even if its just a temp gauge to see what the pressure is off the block and then what the pressure is at the turbo. I have 70-80psi off the block but going through 2ft of -3 might drop it to 60 or lower, im not sure. I just need to toss a gauge on and see. Need someone who knows fluid dynamics to say what the difference could be between 1/16" in oil flow as well...

Thursday, October 25, 2012 7:26 AM
Made some more progress last night, 99% positive I got my return line solved, didn't get a chance to finish it last night tho.

Also, bolted on my intake manifold and finished my fuel lines and moved some wiring around in order to fit the charge pipe better (still needs some paint tho).

I think I'm just gonna go with the -4an line I have, me and my buddy looked at it last night, and no way in @!#$ hell is the inside diameter actually 1/4" (4/16") so @!#$ it. If I have problems I'll deal with it then.

Hoping to get the turbo bolted up tonight with the wastegate and the rest of that stuff, start putting charge piping on, which just leaves vacuum line routing and some wiring to finish up, and the exhaust.

yay!

Thursday, October 25, 2012 11:17 AM
So as it turns out, all my fuel lines are in direct violation of a few NHRA rules.

SON OF A BITCH!!!

Thursday, October 25, 2012 11:40 AM
What's wrong with your fuel lines that causes them to be in violation? And what turbo are you running again???

Thursday, October 25, 2012 11:43 AM
What's wrong with your fuel lines that causes them to be in violation? And what turbo are you running again???

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search