Project Helen - Page 5 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Project Helen
Monday, February 11, 2013 3:49 PM
Made some progress today. Got my doors on and started fitting the front clip.

Also want some opinions on the front bumper area...I have some mesh to put in the bumper, then I was thinking about painting my charge piping and i/c black to help hide it...what are your guys' suggestions

Monday, February 11, 2013 4:03 PM
Why, show off that IC, mesh yes,hide pipe n ic no

Modding my j since I found the org
Monday, February 11, 2013 4:15 PM
alejandro davila wrote:Why, show off that IC, mesh yes,hide pipe n ic no

Im trying to go with a "sleeper status" car

Thank you for the input though, that's what I'm looking for. Ideas.

Monday, February 11, 2013 5:33 PM
Mesh never looks right IMO. Looks ricy. I do like the new abs plastic mesh honeycomb. But it's expensive.

Monday, February 11, 2013 5:42 PM
SeamlessZ24 wrote:Mesh never looks right IMO. Looks ricy. I do like the new abs plastic mesh honeycomb. But it's expensive.

I was even considering painting the mesh black... Thought that would look better

Monday, February 11, 2013 6:04 PM
I did the sleeper thing for a few years with black pipes, fmic, and black mesh. It looked really clean and looked like my radiator up front. Since everyone around here knows my car when I changed things up this time, I decided that I would just let it fly. Keeping the black mesh in the bumper but going with the raw FMIC but sticking with black pipes.
Its hard to see the mesh I used but its the really hard rigid mesh from the auto parts store. Powdercoated black.
everything all black

Silver FMIC behind black mesh.

You can easily see the differences between the two. you can easily pull off the sleeper, especially if you keep it quiet and stock sounding. worked for me for years

Monday, February 11, 2013 6:10 PM
Boosted- Man I saw your car on a thread last year sometime and fell in love with you car..I LOVE it! My exhaust is quiet for the sleeper but you cant hide the turbo spool But, I am loving that blacked out i/c I needed to see it and seeing both on the same car is even better. Thanks a ton!

Monday, February 11, 2013 7:40 PM
alejandro davila wrote:Why, show off that IC, mesh yes,hide pipe n ic no

this

Monday, February 11, 2013 8:05 PM
You wouldnt believe how quiet the turbo spool is. Until my glasspack hollowed out my car sounded stock, and not much louder than stock once it did hollow out.

You will have some say that the FMIC will retain heat by painting it but I never once ran into that. Even in 110 degree weather moving at 5mph back from a bash it was never an issue.

Sleeper look worked for a while but now its just time to say, oh hello, why yes its a FMIC and I have a turbo on a Cavalier.

You can see on mine even when the new setup is on, I still have the black charge pipes but raw FMIC. I think that looks better by showing just the FMIC instead of both. Your FMIC will blend in anyway with the white body of the car. You wont even notice the black mesh regardless of which color you go with.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 6:32 PM
I got my quarter windows in and set the sideskirts on cause I am so close and couldnt help myselft

ANNND...one little detail that makes it so much better.. a license plate lol

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 8:47 AM
wow looking great! Builtnboosted- your car is so bad a$$, your front end inspired me to do a similar look with mine!

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 3:30 PM
looking good buddy. get that front end painted asap!

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 9:51 PM
Thanks guys, Ishould be getting it painted monday. And I also got the c pillar covers glued on, and if anyone ever goes to take those off there are tabs that stick into the rubber on the quarter window and are also glued on with windshield urethane.

Saturday, February 16, 2013 10:00 PM
My paint did come in the mail wednesday, so I will be getting the rest of it painted monday and put back together monday or tuesday and then she will be back home in the garage tuesday night! Two more weekdays away from being a college graduate

Sunday, February 17, 2013 4:07 AM
Awesome on both dude. I'm actually excited to see it back together.

Sunday, February 17, 2013 7:22 AM
Looks great....but any particular reason not to paint the handles?
Sunday, February 17, 2013 9:25 AM
Thanks guys, and know there really isn't any particular reason why I didn't, I may later down the road if I decide it is needed. We will see how she turns out. Im sure the tint will be the deciding factor maybe?

Monday, February 18, 2013 1:36 PM
nice work! can't wait to see this when it's complete.
Monday, February 18, 2013 1:57 PM
Good news guys, I got the front clip painted today and also put mesh in the front bumper. Hopefully be putting everything back together tonight and will have pictures up later!

Monday, February 18, 2013 5:19 PM
Waiting!

Monday, February 18, 2013 6:38 PM
All painted up... and the paint laid down absolutely phenomenal on this pieces. I was pretty happy.

Mesh is done

And on the car

And this is as far as I got today...need to do some persuasion withe the lower pinch weld on the drivers side because the fender just isn't quite right yet..

She will be all together tomorrow, no excuses!

Monday, February 18, 2013 6:41 PM
Sorry guys....this was supposed to be the last picture

Monday, February 18, 2013 6:53 PM
I like it. Good work. that middle mesh looks a little out of place but not bad over all!

Monday, February 18, 2013 7:07 PM
Agreed, looks great...except that mesh.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Monday, February 18, 2013 7:12 PM
I was actually up in the air on the middle section...but...its there. Hopefully withe the hood it will look a bit better.
Can't please everyone...hell I cant even make myself happy lol.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search