Y3llowCav's Progress Thread - Page 4 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Y3llowCav's Progress Thread
Monday, April 22, 2013 4:54 PM
Awesome...good job! Where did you get the elbow? Is it YU Racing?

Monday, April 22, 2013 5:00 PM
Luke C wrote:Awesome...good job! Where did you get the elbow? Is it YU Racing?

Thanks man. It's just an ebay special. Looks like the price jumped 1.50 though, dunno whats up with that. I still need to get a barb welded on for my pcv like yours.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, April 24, 2013 9:22 AM
So there was some excitement Monday night when I was driving home from work. I floored it while pulling on the highway, felt good and strong. Then I smelled gas, and I'm not talking like it was a little rich I'm talking like it smelled like someone was pouring gas in my window. Every time I smell something like that it always ends up being someone in front of me and me just being paranoid. So I'm watching my fuel gauge and it starts dropping. Now I'm afraid that the car is going to catch fire but I'm 1/2 mile from home and I know there's a hose there. In that 1/2 mile I lost a little over 1/4 tank of fuel and BARELY made it to the driveway. Got out, and saw this..

Apparently, the fuel line popped right off the rail, leading me to believe it was never tight since I swapped injectors and everything else over 2 weeks ago! I must have finally wiggled it off when I swapped out cam covers last Sunday....insane. Not to mention Monday was earth day...opps

Anyway, also got another injector harness and went to work with the pigtails I had lying around. Turned out a lot better this time:

I figured pink was ground since it was the only common wire between all the plugs but does anyone know if putting them all together under a heavy duty insulator between #2 and #3 was a factory thing or no?

Anyway, that's it for now. Made 100% sure the fuel line is clipped on properly and had no trouble driving it around all day after that. Dyno date is confirmed for this Saturday at 1pm!

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, April 24, 2013 6:13 PM
Damn man..reminds me when my injector was unseated when Ryan and I went out to tune like 2 years ago..right in the middle of 422, had fuel pissing all over my boiling hot manifold and blower lol. Glad is was an easy fix for you.

Car is looking good, I'll be waiting for the dyno numbers!

Thursday, April 25, 2013 2:27 PM
lol yup it was intense. Funny thing is I was most worried about the same issue you had when you guys came down since I've never used those injectors or injector cups before. Like you said at least it was an easy fix and it's been fine ever since. So pumped for the dyno results, debating about re oiling my k&n tonight.. Hopefully I'll have some good video of the pulls up by Saturday night.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Saturday, April 27, 2013 4:59 PM
The results are in!!!

237hp uncorrected
226hp corrected
~215 ft/lb torque

Checking out the numbers with Freddy

I was kind of hoping for just a little more but I know that this setup should give me about what I have. We did two pulls and both were EXACTLY the same; at least it's consistent. These numbers are from a Dynojet v224. The reason you don't see the torque curve is because the computer cut out while recording it. The horsepower numbers are definitely correct though. I have a video but haven't worked with it yet. I'll post it up when it's ready.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, April 27, 2013 5:54 PM

"In Oldskool we trust"
Saturday, April 27, 2013 6:55 PM
Y3llowCav wrote:
Philly D wrote:But isnt there the issue with the ld9 pcm where its slow to enter PE which is hard for us supercharger guys?

Also terrible phantom knock problems. Most people with serious tunes end up tuning down the sensitivity of the knock sensor to compensate. Personally, I feel like that's playing with fire.

The phantom knock isn't a ECU thing, but motor thing.

Are you on stock fuel pump? I would be concerned of that fuel pressure on a stock fuel pump.

FU Tuning

Saturday, April 27, 2013 7:14 PM
Addicted to meth wrote:Are you on stock fuel pump? I would be concerned of that fuel pressure on a stock fuel pump.

Negative, running the racetronix w body pump. Still though I think I'm asking a lot of that pump. Especially since I'm not running the harness.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Saturday, April 27, 2013 7:16 PM
Y3llowCav wrote:
Addicted to meth wrote:Are you on stock fuel pump? I would be concerned of that fuel pressure on a stock fuel pump.

Negative, running the racetronix w body pump. Still though I think I'm asking a lot of that pump. Especially since I'm not running the harness.

I feel much better knowing you have the racetronix pump.

FU Tuning

Sunday, April 28, 2013 3:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ofd6cNJ6VM

Straight lines are over-rated In My Opinion =]
Sunday, April 28, 2013 3:43 PM
nice!
yeah youre prob right around where u should be I think..ive got more mods but Im also on the worlds worst tune to verify my numbers...but I put down 200/200 before my last mods. the guy said Im sitting on a lot more power if I were to lean it out.
I love that wine! sounds great man glad to see she's coming together

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.

Monday, April 29, 2013 9:32 AM
Thanks man, I love that SC whine too. I've pretty much done all the modding I want to do, though I'd love to get around 250whp. I'm not really willing to go with bigger cams and all as it is still my DD and I rely on the good highway mileage when I drive from Mass to PA. Still deciding on what I want to do about belts then maybe I'll drop to a 2.8 or something. Thing is the 3.1 really spins the m62 as fast as its rated for. The point of this build was to be reasonable and make relatively safe, reliable power. Knowing myself though, I'm sure I'll get bored eventually.

I've read through your mod list, you're definitely sitting on more power. Still though, 200/200 is nothing to laugh at on a 2700lb car. Hopefully you can work it out with Ryan when he goes down to tune Vince. I'd hate to see you unload the car after all the time and money you've put into it. Like others have said, fix EVERYTHING that may be a potential problem. Like your fuel pressure, figure out whats going on there even if it means pulling the tank down again and buying the aeromotive regulator (which I strongly suggest either way).

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, April 29, 2013 9:34 AM
On another note..

Finally representin'!

Big thanks to Matt for the hookup, always wanted one of these stickers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, April 29, 2013 9:35 AM

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, April 29, 2013 9:47 AM
I want one of those stickers
Monday, April 29, 2013 11:04 AM
Z24Sunfire wrote:I want one of those stickers

At this point the best thing to do is just have one made. I was lucky enough to find someone with an extra but even this one is a "reproduction."

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, April 29, 2013 11:54 AM
Cars looking good, it must be nice to have some dyno #'s to put to your butt-dyno.

I just noticed your post about the polishing... what do you "polish" that with? I ask because the aluminum is still hazy and I can see the sanding or polishing marks in the chain part of the valve cover.

I may be able to give you some tips to hit a polish level that will really surprise you.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Monday, April 29, 2013 12:08 PM
SweetnessGT wrote:Cars looking good, it must be nice to have some dyno #'s to put to your butt-dyno.

I just noticed your post about the polishing... what do you "polish" that with? I ask because the aluminum is still hazy and I can see the sanding or polishing marks in the chain part of the valve cover.

I may be able to give you some tips to hit a polish level that will really surprise you.

-Chris-

Thanks man, it really does. As for the polishing, it goes like this... I got lazy. First thing I don't have is a decent polishing wheel, so I used something that wasn't really right in the end of a cordless drill and rubbed it until I killed 2 batteries. Used mothers polish but I'm sure that wasn't the problem. Basically I had no where to sand it outside because I live in a crazy condo association right now. I had it pretty much smooth with 400 grit but still had some trouble areas. Once it started getting nice out I got lazy and hit it with some pretty low grit paper (HUGE mistake). That put those huge scratches in it and I didn't really want to put in the time/effort to get them out by hand. Anyway, I have a spare so I may just shell out the cash to have it media blasted and then throw a nice polishing wheel on a table grinder next time I go home to PA. Maybe there is something I still don't know, so any tips are appreciated. I'm not sure I'd like it to be SUPER polished/chrome looking, but just having it smoother/more consistent would be nice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, April 29, 2013 12:09 PM

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, April 29, 2013 1:34 PM
I just use a wire wheel to get that rough shine look. Thats what I do with mine and it looks great. hasnt degraded in looks for a long time now. Im going to do the same to my valve cover. I just brushed up the throttle body too.
(the pics dont show the tb brushed cause i just did it yesterday when i swapped out my Vortec throttle body butterfly with an LS1 butterfly).
but theres a before and after in the second pic of the stock blower housing, and my brushed one above it

Btw Im not having that fuel problem anymore since a week ago. And now instead of running low, its idling really high and has a 'cam lobe' after coming from higher speeds until it settles. I think the air flow is much better without that foil thing in the way that the Vortec has on it. Ill post pics in my ecotecforum build. I really think i need to start a build on here..(do i have one? lol)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, April 29, 2013 1:34 PM

Monday, April 29, 2013 1:38 PM
oh..and for a decent bump in hp if you want maybe consider a meth injection set up. good bang for the buck and you can run the mixture for cooling over performance at like a 50/50 or do a 60/40 like i plan. i have the Devils Own meth kit for cooling but also performance gain, it should add a nice little noticable bump in fwhp and responsiveness with the air being cooler.

Monday, April 29, 2013 6:53 PM
Y3llowCav wrote:
SweetnessGT wrote:Cars looking good, it must be nice to have some dyno #'s to put to your butt-dyno.

-Chris-

Thanks man, it really does. As for the polishing, it goes like this... I got lazy. First thing I don't have is a decent polishing wheel, so I used something that wasn't really right in the end of a cordless drill and rubbed it until I killed 2 batteries. Used mothers polish but I'm sure that wasn't the problem. Basically I had no where to sand it outside because I live in a crazy condo association right now. I had it pretty much smooth with 400 grit but still had some trouble areas. Once it started getting nice out I got lazy and hit it with some pretty low grit paper (HUGE mistake). That put those huge scratches in it and I didn't really want to put in the time/effort to get them out by hand. Anyway, I have a spare so I may just shell out the cash to have it media blasted and then throw a nice polishing wheel on a table grinder next time I go home to PA. Maybe there is something I still don't know, so any tips are appreciated. I'm not sure I'd like it to be SUPER polished/chrome looking, but just having it smoother/more consistent would be nice.

Ahh yes, laziness will get ya.

For sanding, if you get a big rubbermaid bin and wetsand paper, wetsand it from 400 to 1500 or so grit... sand each grit in ONE direction. i.e sand 400 grit one way, then 800 the perpindicular way, so on and so forth til 1500. This will allow you to see the previous grits scratches as you sand them out.

Get 2 polishing wheels for a drill (and the collar)... get brown polishing compound and blue polishing compound. For the brown run the polishing wheel and move the drill in the direction the wheel is rotating... once that's done wipe all the cover clean, switch the wheel to the 2nd wheel and use the blue compound. In this case run the wheel against the drill, pulling the wheel against the way it wants to rotate.

Finish off using the Mothers aluminum polish on a rag, use one rag to apply polish and note all the black that comes off, then wipe it off by hand with a clean rag. You'll be stunned.

From what you have there, most of the work is done. Wet sanding will take about 60-90 minutes and polishing should take about 60.

If you go slow and fight the urge to skip ahead or get lazy your result will be this:

Good luck! Love how the car is coming along.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Tuesday, April 30, 2013 5:39 AM
Damn that looks good! Thanks for that advice, definitely more thought than I put into it. I have the old one that I may just start fresh on, those scratches on the one pictured are pretty deep..

Derek, I still hate you for that blower, so sexy. I also dig the brushed look but wanted it to have just a tad more shine. Also good to hear your fueling issues are resolved. Definitely start something on jbo, you're here enough!

As for meth, believe me when I say it's been in the back of my head since I bought the car. Along with the small bump in overall performance I know that's going to be the only way to get a cooler charge. Still kicking it around and deciding if it's something I want to do or not. If I do go for it I'll buy a spacer and tap that so I don't have to run the meth through the rotors. I hear it's no good for the teflon coating.

"In Oldskool we trust"

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 9:00 AM
I think as long as you're not running a high mixture of meth to water you'd be perfectly fine. running a higher mixture of water to meth should keep you cool (which is still a performance gain) as well as keep you safe from teflon corrosion.
I had thought about polishing up the brushed look a bit, but it grows on me. Im going to leave it as is. But i agree his manifold looks amazing all shined up!

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 9:16 AM
Oh man I want that sc he got chilling on that tool case.... /envy

Straight lines are over-rated In My Opinion =]
Tuesday, April 30, 2013 10:04 AM
blu04DD wrote:running a higher mixture of water to meth should keep you cool (which is still a performance gain) as well as keep you safe from teflon corrosion.

Hmm, if that's the case maybe I should look into this further.. Does your kit have an electronic controller or a failsafe switch? I'm thinking I don't really need any of that as long as I dial a simpler system in properly.

Ninja Bling wrote:Oh man I want that sc he got chilling on that tool case.... /envy

I have a better idea.. You sell your car to cmac, buy Derek's car. We fly down, swap out the injectors for the 36#ers and plug in the reflash for the time being then road trip all the way back to RI. Then we can stop in PA on the way home, install the bigger injectors and goodies and call Oldskool for a solid tune. Then we go eat cobalts together.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, April 30, 2013 12:06 PM
You dont need the controller or anything. You just use the manually adjusted psi controller since our cars are instant boost. So set it to like 10psi to activate if you're running 12+ or something. You can get an AEM Failsafe gauge, which is pretty damn sweet. But its like $300 or something. could also look into the blower cooler, something ive pondered. Steigmeir actually makes them i believe..id have to go look again. Saw one on a guys supercharged civic Si, was pretty slick

and if he bought my car, it runs perfectly fine for road trips....its just any major WOT pulls it'll go through gas pretty quick lol (but i havent quite given up on it..yet)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search