Projects for Winter '12-'13 - Page 2 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Projects for Winter '12-'13
Wednesday, January 23, 2013 1:32 PM
Curious as to why you didn't use the 3500 upper intake manifold? From what I know it flows much better than the 3400 unit, unless its just a looks thing?

Either way, clean build!

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 1:41 PM
All of this fanciness

The N-body AC is a very nifty idea. Might have to look into that if you release your secrets on fittings and what not.
Wednesday, January 23, 2013 2:05 PM
3500 upper is so bland.

It's nice to be injected but I love being blown.
Wednesday, January 23, 2013 5:02 PM
ekimnawi89 (Mike) wrote:All of this fanciness

The N-body AC is a very nifty idea. Might have to look into that if you release your secrets on fittings and what not.

I looked at doing it on my eco but found the grandam line wouldn't connect to our compressor. I couldnt figure it out. Only thing I could think of was swap to a grandam compressor or welding the eco fitting on the grandam lines.
Wednesday, January 23, 2013 5:47 PM
Newt-
Other than the craps look theres this, copied from Wot-tech's website.

The advantage of the 3500 upper is a broader powerband and not necessarily an increase in peak power. Due to the tube that runs into the middle of the upper, cylinders 5 and 6 see less flow than the rest, while cylinders 3 and 4 see the best flow. A 2000+ 3400 upper flows almost exactly the same across all cylinders.

And yes theres an N body a/c suction/discharge manifold that will work. I ended up with one by mistake, its from a 99. Mount the the back of the compressor instead of the top.

Didnt do much tonight, got the radiator hoses fit up and moved some stuff the get ready to pull the HVAC module out to tend to the evaporator core interface issure. My first new ecm reflash should be here in a day or two with the wastegate tubing and flanges.

my hose numbers i used are Gates 22211 for the lower, and Gates 22332 for the upper.
Friday, January 25, 2013 5:40 AM
I remember the drop top shot by the bridge...very nice.

Friday, January 25, 2013 7:00 AM
Nice looking engine Spencer! I looked at the N-Body AC setup as well, just for alternator clearance, but I hadn't checked out how much is actually different. Since I'm eventually going forced induction, I may have to pay attention to what you're doing.

Good work.

Friday, January 25, 2013 5:04 PM
its really just the interface with the stock j body heater core thats the issue, the N body uses a pad mount where the J uses the tube nut O ring fittings. I have thought about sectioning the firewall with that panel from a N body but i'd like to figure out the fittings so people could do this conversion themselves. Once i confirm these fittings will work ill post the part numbers for them.
Friday, January 25, 2013 6:11 PM
Looking good!

Monday, January 28, 2013 4:39 PM
Great news to hear ur trying to help the community. How pratical is the ac swap for someone who still running a quad or twin cam.

I too want to hid that dam ac. Great job so far!

GMR has got nothing on this
Monday, January 28, 2013 5:20 PM
Yay parts came today
reflashed PCM, turned off the VATS, auto trans things, EGR, EVAP, and some other things. Plus a mild performance NA tune, this is the first flash. The new one with have the timing scaled back along with addition of the 60lb injectors. Only concers i have with the new setup is exceeding the MAF resoloution.

along with vband flange, and the wastegate tubing i needed, some O2 bungs and a plug for when im done with the wideband tuning. and an aluminum bung for the threaded IAT.

random engine shot, starting to plug things in

-4 turbo oil line fittings came in at work today thanks Gates.

close on the fuel return, even with the low profile fitting had to clearance the TB flange a bit, sucked since it was already painted.

DIrect port nitrous? Man so very tempting... found these a few weeks ago.

Monday, January 28, 2013 5:29 PM
And as far as the air conditioning goes, i did some talking to some old schoolers at one of my shop customers and he turned me on to a local HVAC shop he used to making custom lines when swapping tuned ports into old cars and what not. Showed me a nice fabbed suction discharge manifold made from the two existing hose assemblies, new hoses crimped and welded the original ends on. This was done for under $80, and may be a more viable solution vs trying to find patchwork fittings work. the hard part is really the liquid line, since its a hardline though out, although Ford does use flexible liquid lines with a captive oriface, i dont care for that design.
Monday, January 28, 2013 5:33 PM
Love the progress so far.

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Monday, January 28, 2013 7:16 PM
Tuesday, January 29, 2013 9:30 AM
the old motor swap, yes its a real W41 not just a cover. Eagle rods in an HO block vintage 1990 all low milage, with 086 and W41 cams.

Just for Brad lol

i already miss her.
Tuesday, January 29, 2013 11:18 AM
Damn that's sexy.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, January 29, 2013 3:57 PM
Wow man, great job!

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Tuesday, January 29, 2013 5:47 PM

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 5:57 PM
doing more work on the a/c lines. N body top , J body bottom.

going to run them to the HVAC shop hopefully tomorrow to see about swapping ends.
Tuesday, January 29, 2013 6:06 PM
Although the majority of this car isn't my cup of tea, and I'm sure you'd say the same about mine. We are essentially after the same thing.

Being stupid low, making everything possible work, and hiding things.

I like this, glad to see I'm not the only one re-inventing the wheel right now.

Keep it up, dude.

Oh, and we both used a whole lot of AN fittings. Word.
Tuesday, January 29, 2013 6:55 PM
sounds like we're close lol, what is it your doing? you have no pics on your profile.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:00 PM
build thread titled 'vette wheels'. last 10 pages or so are probably the only ones reading at this point.
Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:19 PM
This so good Spencer, so good!

I like .

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:26 PM
hell no Jeff, love what youre doing. Im happy to see someone else that raising the powertrain, Im going it when i remove the engine for the paint work, only im doing it mostly to help with CV angle and the clear the new frame/control arm setup. My goal is to lay the rocker reinforcements. Glad to see im not the only one thats done tubs up front. I did mine about 4 years ago and about to redo them again to make them look better.
Wednesday, January 30, 2013 6:09 AM
It's builds like this one that keeps my faith in the J-body community.

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search