My 02 Cav - Page 3 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: My 02 Cav
Wednesday, June 19, 2013 4:36 PM
I bought a DesertTuners' members' ShiftPlus and its working good so far after a short test drive, Stage 2 definitely makes Downshifting from 4th to 3rd at 50% or more almost instant and regular smooth driving is snappier, WOT shifting is much faster through all the gears.

Stage 1 makes regular DD'ing not as slushy and generally improves the feel of the ride.

I need to tuck the wires in the engine bay before I take any pictures of that.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 12:19 AM
Did some exhaust clips.

Within next month I intend to slap on a N1, Nice Vibrant Resonator and up the piping to stainless steel mandrel bent 2.5". Still waiting on a tuner, the moment I find one, Turbo and all the goodies that come with it.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 3:21 PM

Tires on the new wheels and wheels on the car.

Going to clean up the drums and paint them black and paint the calipers blue.

Edit: Better Pics

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, July 10, 2013 4:17 PM

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 7:20 PM
Updates: Forget the Eco, going LD9, I can't find any Ecos or eco compatible trans in all of az and i'm being lazy and picking up a local's amazingly built LD9 and also doing a manual swap.

Assembly was finished in February and the engine has about 2400 miles clocked in on it.

Eagle rods
Je pistons
Reman crank
Coated rod and main bearings
Blocked and head shaved a total of .011"
Cometic .051" headgasket
2.3 oil pump swap in stock pan
Mantapart ho valve springs
Ss stock sized valves
Bronze/maganeese valve guides
Ho cams modded for ld9 and power steering
Md stock sized light weight pulley
Lo Intake Manifold
Bottom end was fully balanced
Final scr was calculated at 10.7:1
Spec Stage 3+ Clutch

Should be fun.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 8:53 PM
got ya a nice J goin on, i just finished a motor build and im wateing on that break in perroid to be over with looks nice and clean man keep it up.

Friday, July 26, 2013 10:59 PM
IT BEGINS, THE 3 DAY TREK TO GLORY

Also did calculations on what i've spent so far, money pit of love and tears:

3500USD for Car
750USD for Stereo/Sub/Amp
1000USD for Suspension
2700USD for Built Engine and Transmission
300USD for Wideband/Gauges...

$8250 in the hole so far, loving every second.... more or less.

Saturday, July 27, 2013 10:02 AM
Nice job so far dude. Where did u get the transmission mount brackets?

Saturday, July 27, 2013 6:20 PM
Darren, im doing the swap. The rear mount is new gm and the front is the ttr I had on my car. I cut it off before sending it to the crusherr. There are only a few of the rear frame mounts left in gm north america inventory. I actually have 2 more on order for that reason. I found a dealer that had a small stash of them and bought them out. Had 1 rushed out to do the swap. Others be in my hands sometime next week.

We ended the day with the ln2 pulled and the frame mounts tacked in. Depending on how I feel later this evening I may do some more work to it.

The goal is to have it up and running tomorrow afternoon. We will see. We got a later start yesterday than we planned so that set us back quite a bit. I feel comfortable in our current state of the swap.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Saturday, July 27, 2013 8:13 PM
DSMskyline wrote:Darren, im doing the swap. The rear mount is new gm and the front is the ttr I had on my car. I cut it off before sending it to the crusherr. There are only a few of the rear frame mounts left in gm north america inventory. I actually have 2 more on order for that reason. I found a dealer that had a small stash of them and bought them out. Had 1 rushed out to do the swap. Others be in my hands sometime next week.

We ended the day with the ln2 pulled and the frame mounts tacked in. Depending on how I feel later this evening I may do some more work to it.

The goal is to have it up and running tomorrow afternoon. We will see. We got a later start yesterday than we planned so that set us back quite a bit. I feel comfortable in our current state of the swap.

Indeed, Good progress was made, even if I am just sitting there handing a socket or two and cleaning up and what not, trying to learn by example.

Here's some pictures from today.

And now, as DSMskyline has told: Its officially a manual car.

And again i'd like to thank DSMskyline and Blue Boosted Penguin, cause I sure as hell wouldn't be able to do it without them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, July 27, 2013 8:15 PM

Saturday, July 27, 2013 8:28 PM
Its all in good fun. There are pleanty of people on here who do this all the time. Odly enough its usually swapping in ecos though.

Sunday, July 28, 2013 5:43 AM
Don't forget to get rid of the auto mount. It WILL hit the transmission. Ask me how I know. Lol

Sunday, July 28, 2013 7:41 AM
gtpsunfire wrote:Don't forget to get rid of the auto mount. It WILL hit the transmission. Ask me how I know. Lol

Thats the first thing on this morning to do list. Its nice when you have done the mount install before. Keeps from having to put the trans in and take it out several times.

Sunday, July 28, 2013 7:47 AM
Can't wait to see this LD9 swap finished!
Monday, July 29, 2013 1:14 PM
LD9 is in the car, Transmission is in the car, Dash is back in and the dash cover and bezel too, just need to finish tightening down a screw and bolt here or there. Engine wiring is in, new dash wiring is in, carpets back in and seats back in. The swap is just about done, we just have to weld in the exhaust and get it hung on the car, install the new tierods I picked up, clean out the interior of loose screws and parts, finish adding fluids and coolant hoses/lines. And if time allows get all the gauges/wideband in.

We ran into a odd hiccup with the belt we had, being slightly too short for the LD9, even though it was the correct belt we picked up (Double checked, 475k5), so we're going to bypass A/C with a shorter belt (A/C isnt charged, so no worries) until we can figure something out, Car is on a Turbo tune for the time being until we can re-acquire HPT to put it on stock and put the stock injectors back in on the stock rail.

Short video of the car firing up, followed by a little oil mishap at the end

And some pictures earlier in the day just as the engine went in and the dash started going back in, better pictures will come at the end from my point-n-shoot as I make a wrap-up post on the ordeal.

Also the car's listing in my profile was updated with the build list on the engine and the rest of the stuff that has been done to the car over the course of having it.
http://www.j-body.org/members/killerdragn/cars/1/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, July 29, 2013 1:19 PM

Monday, July 29, 2013 2:42 PM
Nice swap and a very nice car overall.
Man I can't wait to visit AZ again and meet some of the new guys running around been over 2 years since I've been home.
Monday, July 29, 2013 5:04 PM
Good work guys. But why wouldn't you at least paint or primer the transmission mounts? The rear one is most definitely going to rust and the red on the front one really sticks out.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 4:02 AM
Who's motor was this?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, July 31, 2013 5:44 AM
gtpsunfire wrote:Good work guys. But why wouldn't you at least paint or primer the transmission mounts? The rear one is most definitely going to rust and the red on the front one really sticks out.
This.

You should have at least put a coat of POR15 on it...and that even comes in silver.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 2:40 PM
Wrap up time.

The whole process has taken us about 5-6 days, it should have been finished within the weekend we allotted time for but the Arizona heat absolutely leeches energy out of you and slowed things down a lot, but we powered through it. Currently the car is in DSMSkyline's garage still on jack-stands waiting for the muffler to be hung properly, front axle bolts tightened and last of the gauge wiring to be hooked up for ground and wide-band plugged in and then the wheels thrown back on. We've fired it up before and it runs fine, ready to go, just have to figure a way to get it back to my house due to odd ride accommodations the past week. All-in-all the swap wasn't too hard as long as one or two people know what they're doing, it shouldn't take as long as it took us, but again, the heat kills you down here to no end.

Here are the images from my point-n-shoot and more will be added later once the car is in my garage.

-MD- Enforcer wrote:Who's motor was this?

The motor was DSMSkylines, due to a series of unfortunate events the car got totaled and everything pulled out and has been sitting in his garage since, I went ahead and purchased it and it came with everything needed for the swap. Again, he was the person doing the swap and I was there to lend a hand, I'd route any overtly technical questions to him about it as he knows a lot more than me on the subject.

Mr. Quick wrote:
gtpsunfire wrote:Good work guys. But why wouldn't you at least paint or primer the transmission mounts? The rear one is most definitely going to rust and the red on the front one really sticks out.
This.

You should have at least put a coat of POR15 on it...and that even comes in silver.

It will be painted at a later date, but the GM mount comes with a sort of protective sealant over it, and I do not live in a wet climate enough to facilitate worry at this moment about it, but both mounts will be painted to match later, the main focus throughout the swap has been to just 'Get it done', due to bad working climate killing us the whole time.

If anyone wants any specific pictures feel free to ask.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, July 31, 2013 2:41 PM

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 7:20 PM
Been sanding the IDI Cover and Text.

Also got the backlights for the gauges hooked up and about to try and run some line to the open Vac spots on the TB.

Saturday, August 17, 2013 12:59 AM
Got my exhaust leak fixed, will be doing a new exhaust video on it, sounds amazing~!

I just put back on my DC Sports Pep Boy special 'can'.

Saturday, August 17, 2013 1:16 AM
Looking bad ass man, damn clean car and looks mint with them rims. I personally dont care for ld9 engines but at least you went with a built ld9 and not stock so cant complain and give you props. I have no complaints at all towards your car. Keep her clean and tastefully modded like you have been.

FuzzMASTA9
Thursday, August 22, 2013 10:18 PM
Black headlights are in, black turns tomorrow as well as HID install and new vert bar.

Thursday, August 22, 2013 10:50 PM
Looks mint, you paint them yourself or buy them? Also for corners were they bought or you do them? On mine I painted my headlights with flat black (cant tell, they look like gloss) and than bought black corners off ebay for $30 the set since I had messed up fenders and kept snapping plastic tab off the back

FuzzMASTA9
Friday, August 23, 2013 3:39 PM
Pete P wrote:Looks mint, you paint them yourself or buy them? Also for corners were they bought or you do them? On mine I painted my headlights with flat black (cant tell, they look like gloss) and than bought black corners off ebay for $30 the set since I had messed up fenders and kept snapping plastic tab off the back

I bought the Headlights and Turns for $109 on ebay rather than doing them myself.

I put on my HID's and my Vert Strut bar, and also the black turns.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search