Elizabeth...the new project - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Elizabeth...the new project
Thursday, April 18, 2013 1:44 AM
Well after my accident last Friday involving an embankment on a blind corner due to @!#$ty headlights I decided to look for a z24...and came across my new cav. She is a 1999 z24. For $400 I couldn't pass it up. But it was an auto . Needless to say I had a whole parts car for a 5 speed swap.
Pic of my donor car:

And the $400 beauty that I named Elizabeth:

Ah so clean...but also out of time so replacing it with my engine that has the cam swap and manifold:

An taking apart my cavfire:

Tear down:

Dash is out:

Clutch master cylinder is on...the holes were a bitch to drill:

Three pedals are better than two:

Shifter in:

Trans mounted firmly:

Engine mounted and in place. Big thanks to my brother helping me with the project:

Today we finished it up am got it running. Left the auto ecu and all wiring for the auto, used the auto passenger side axle and my manual driver side one. Driving feels amazing and I'm glad I swapped. Tomorrow it's time to putt springs on and get it on the ground. Too much wheel gap. And getting system in there. More updates soon!

Re: Elizabeth...the new project
Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:07 AM
Great job man for getting that swap done.. Sucks about the cavfire but at least you have a donor and have another one all ready up an running..Looks good bro keep it up!!
Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:44 AM
Well that was fast. Good job on the swap.

Thursday, April 18, 2013 7:17 AM
The definitely was fast.

What are you going to do about the Driver's side door? Steal it from the black car?

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Thursday, April 18, 2013 10:59 AM
Thanks everyone, I'm going to be putting my msd coils on tomorrow and everything since it's my day and I'll get more pics up. The swap was actually pretty easy and I'd like to add I'm still running on all the automatic harnesses and the auto ecu with no problems. All I had to do was connect the wires for the neutral safety and splice in the speedo but no issues. Still gotta get reverse lights but I'm not concerned.
Yeah I'm sad the cavfire died but it was getting bothersome on maintenance. Now I have a rust free car
Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:22 PM
So this is wreck number what?

Good job on the quick swap.

Friday, April 19, 2013 1:22 AM
Brian wrote:So this is wreck number what?

Good job on the quick swap.

That car was cursed
Friday, April 19, 2013 2:32 AM
Rust free is so great. I got my project car from Arkansas, and I've yet to find rust on her. Not bad for a 17 yr old car with approx 160k miles.

Awesome work btw!

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Friday, April 19, 2013 7:53 AM
lol wow. people need to take their cars to you for the 5 speed swap! umm yess... at z24sunfire innovations we can have your slushbox out and the shiftbox installed in no time!

Listen to our new single, called CRY CRY CRY, by John H.

Friday, April 19, 2013 9:59 AM
Damn that must have been crazy when you dropped into that imbankment lol

Straight lines are over-rated In My Opinion =]
Friday, April 19, 2013 10:03 AM
Also if you want another Rk sport ram air hood I have a functional one for sale, that is if your willing to take the drive. Lol check out the north east forums I got a huge deal going.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=25&i=123237&t=123237

Straight lines are over-rated In My Opinion =]

Friday, April 19, 2013 12:50 PM
Thanks everyone I love my j body's, I figured it up and with the whole swap it took roughly 18hrs to swap. Woulda been done in a day but I had to work and lost time on it.
The hood actually didn't get damaged lol, I just gotta fix it
Tuesday, April 23, 2013 8:26 AM
Well recent pics, still need to get lower but been messing with getting her running. Thermostat stuck close and got the engine rediculously hot cause the head to warp like crazy and fried my rings. Now I have crazy blowby and the thing won't run right after shaving the head. Hence the exhaust glowing cherry red...so rebuild time!

Thursday, April 25, 2013 8:11 PM
Last night spent a chilling time in my garage changing the engine again lol fun times:

Got it running and lowered. First time out in two weeks!

Guess I'm just like Jeff and Jay without hoods:

Think I'm gonna keep the red, I like it:

Thursday, April 25, 2013 8:23 PM
You by chance check to make sure cat is not plugged making exhaust glow like that?

FuzzMASTA9
Thursday, April 25, 2013 8:32 PM
It was glowing after the car and resonator. Te whole exhaust was hot, and oil was bubbling out the exhaust manifold. Also when cranking the engine over by hand I can get compression coming through the cylinder.
Thursday, April 25, 2013 8:33 PM
Oh DAMN, thats insane

FuzzMASTA9
Thursday, April 25, 2013 10:54 PM
Yeah should be putting the exhaust off my black one on tomorrow. Can't wait cause it's to quiet
Thursday, April 25, 2013 11:08 PM
LOL I hear you there, my 99 winter cavy has stock exhaust and drives me nuts, but my 02 z24 has magnaflow cat-back thats decent but need it even louder so building bigger down tube and upgrading cat-back from 2.25" to 2.5 instead with magnaflow muffler still.

FuzzMASTA9
Friday, April 26, 2013 12:01 AM
why the hell is the clutch master cylinder so LOW?

I've never seen them mounted down there... you did that because you wanted to? I know you had to drill the holes...

normally its way the hell up high by the cowl

just curious..

Friday, April 26, 2013 12:03 AM
nm I looked at the picture again... weird illusion there, it looked like you drilled it wayyyyyyyyyy lower.

I wasn't sure about the color of the car, but the tan and red look kinda cool

Friday, April 26, 2013 12:20 AM
DaFlyinSkwirl (Pj) wrote:why the hell is the clutch master cylinder so LOW?

I've never seen them mounted down there... you did that because you wanted to? I know you had to drill the holes...

normally its way the hell up high by the cowl

just curious..

Lol yeah I didn't measure @!#$... Just looked at the cavfire mounting position and guessed. I guess I'm just amazing lol
Monday, May 06, 2013 8:33 PM
Well got my 2200 MSD ignition hooked up:

Goodbye Eleanor, you'll be missed:

Took apart the engine that came in the z24 when I bought it:

Mmm yummy:

My guess is the engine locked up, then broke itself free when it bent the rod. Notice no bearing for number 3:

Number 2 rod journal compared to number 3:

And finally got my led installed in my cluster:

Pics from the other night cruising with my buddy and his 06 GTO 6.0l 6 speed:

Thursday, May 16, 2013 1:14 AM
Well I finally started working after not getting a paycheck for two weeks so this Friday I'm going to the picknpull yard! Looking to get my 2.3 oil pump swap parts and 2.3 head updates will be comin here shortly! Ready to have a good engine and crank higher rpms.
My plans for the head are a full port done by me and just shave down to get a true flat surface. My secret cams should be nice addition and good boost of power. I'll probably pick up a header and have a 2.3 flange welded on. I'm pretty excited to get this done so I can have a reliable cav again with decent power!
Saturday, June 01, 2013 8:05 PM
Had an eventful night. While delivering pizzas in the ghetto today I heard I grinding spinning noise so I pulled over and shut the car off. Popped the good and smoke was coming from my starter. Checked all the wires and noticed the alternator b+ wire was touching the s terminal of the solenoid. Tried bumping it with a screwdriver and it barely turned when it even did. So changed the starter in a parking lot in like 30 minutes. Not really how I intended it to go but at least she is good again. Also is there am explanation as to why my ttr upper mount bushing sliding out and making the two metal pieces scrape against each other?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search