blu's 04 Supercharged Cavalier build - Page 6 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: blu's 04 Supercharged Cavalier build
Sunday, August 18, 2013 8:58 PM
which oil cap are you referring to? I don't see any in my recent pics...
and thanks on the battery tray...Ill decide whether or not I want to relocate it I guess...as Ive already got a lot of mods going in.

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.

Sunday, August 18, 2013 10:37 PM
I think he means the oil filter cap on the block.

Sunday, August 18, 2013 11:08 PM
Bumper mount that battery in the passenger inner fender, cleaner that way and than have plenty of room to run intake to inner fender

Pretty sure you seen the pictures on JBI but figured would repost them here also so other people can see it. IIRC there is 6 spot welds to drill out, possibly 7 to get battery tray out but thats simple and didnt take long for the relocate in total to do it. Just used a old bed frame to make my mount and worked mint. Also good job on the progress, coming along nicely

FuzzMASTA9
Monday, August 19, 2013 6:33 AM
Ill check rockauto or something about the oil filter cap. I didnt see any difference in them when looking before for my L61, but the LSJ is a new platform altogether so Ill scout the css.net forum and see what specific one to get. If it helps then thats worth the small investment (usually under $20 for filter/cap) to ensure proper functionality.

Pete, that looks like a pretty good spot, just hope no one hits you there! lol. I was thinking of hacking it off and just relocating to the trunk. Or Ive seen some simply reposition it and relocate the fuse block or something. Basically I just need a better solution because my elbow coming off the throttle body has literally no room and its a PITA removing/installing every time i want to work on the car.

Monday, August 19, 2013 8:08 AM
LD9....yes. I do have to say it will be easier to tune......ALOT easier.

Cavalier is on hold because I now have a mortgage and car payment. Its at my parents, ive been wanting to bring it to my house. Cobalt is doing great. Lets just say if you upgrade to a TVS.....you still wont have a shot at taking on my E85 SS/TC

GMR has got nothing on this
Monday, August 19, 2013 8:27 AM
Raf, challenge accepted!
Yeah responsibilities tend to get in the way of fun...unfortunately for me I have to get my car back on the road because Im losing my contract job with the Air Force at the end of Sept (gotta love budget cuts). And Im putting miles on my truck that were not intended (keeping mileage low for resale purposes). I'm really hoping this new engine holds up and runs good so i can focus on work and school because I've already spent a but load in the last few months, the opposite action of someone losing their income lol (well temporarily until I find something else). Not to mention Im looking to purchase a 3rd vehicle..if they ever get the paperwork sorted out :/

If you need help towing your cav to your house let me know, I can use my truck and you can rent a 2wheel dolly or something.

Monday, August 19, 2013 10:09 AM
Philly D wrote:Also a thing to point out..

See that oil cap. Its the old style that caused oil starvation issues at higher rpm's.

Make sure the new one is domed nice and smooth

I haven't heard of this either. So if it doesn't have a smooth dome it's the older version and isn't as good? pn for the correct one? /threadjack

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, August 19, 2013 12:43 PM
Well im curious too cause I posted it up in the Cobaltss.net forum regarding oil filter/caps and there was no mention of it and they said they had not heard of it.
I guess Ill just buy a new one from the dealership to make sure I've got the latest Cobalt filter/cap. Its prob only like $10 anyways.

**infact I see what he's talking about having squared edges. My L61 cap is smooth (dome like) except for the part the socket goes onto. I could just use that one but Ill buy new anyways. good eye

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, August 19, 2013 12:48 PM

Monday, August 19, 2013 12:51 PM
Found this on a saab forum that appears to be copied from a gm service bulletin:

The purpose of this bulletin is to provide information about a new design oil filter cap assembly (P/N 12580254) and oil filter element (P/N 12579143) that has been released for service on 2.2L 4-cylinder engines (RPO L61) and supercharged 2.0L 4-cylinder engines (RPO LSJ).

Important
Always inspect for new design oil filter cap. If a new design oil filter cap (P/N 12580254) is present, the new design oil filter element (P/N 12579143) must be used to service this vehicle.

The new design oil filter cap can be identified by the rounded contour of the outer edges, rather than the flat edges on the previous designs. This new design oil filter cap is intended to backservice all previous model year vehicles. The new design oil filter element must be used to service vehicles with this new design oil filter cap. Refer to the "Parts Compatibility" table included in this bulletin for more information.

Notice
Do NOT use an old design oil filter element (P/N 22685727) in combination with the new design oil filter cap . The bypass valve in the new design oil filter cap is designed with increased relief pressure. Use of an old design oil filter element with the new design oil filter cap could result in damage to the engine.

The new design oil filter element can be identified by a slightly smaller inside diameter as well as straight vertical pleats, rather than the previous zigzag pleats.

The below listed are the only correct GM filter and cap numbers to use on the 9-3 2.0 turbo Ecotec. These have the smaller diameter center bore, compared to the larger diameter of the older styles and generic filters such as my old FRAM pictured below.

PF2259G
Oil filter cap assembly

PF456G
Oil filter element

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, August 19, 2013 12:53 PM
nice find. Ill post that on the CSS forum so they have it so people know. but i think you can only buy the newer ones anyways.

Monday, August 19, 2013 12:56 PM
Also just found that the GM replacement is 10 bucks and the p/n is Delco PF458G to come WITH a filter and new o-ring. It's on Amazon for that price as well.

"In Oldskool we trust"

Monday, August 19, 2013 6:03 PM
Yup..

I found that out and was shocked.

Another thing is ive been getting the old style filter and didnt know. I also only buy AC Delco filters and was still getting the old style. Not overly impressed.
Monday, August 19, 2013 8:20 PM
blu04DD wrote:
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:sweet. cant wait to see what you can do with an LD9 in there.

lol...LDwhaaaaaaaaat? i wish i could man but everyone would really hate me for it. i know the LD9 is superior in every way but i just cant do it.

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Tuesday, August 20, 2013 11:29 AM
^ haha

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 9:26 AM
Hey man I just received my lsj cams today but problem is not sure which cam is what. Can you look at your spare head and tell me which one is int and which one is ext when you get a chance, thanks

FuzzMASTA9
Wednesday, August 21, 2013 11:07 AM
Aren't they labeled, stampings? Int and exh
Wednesday, August 21, 2013 11:39 AM
Not that I seen unless missed it, they look almost identical except have different numbers on them

FuzzMASTA9
Thursday, August 22, 2013 8:09 AM
go here GM Parts Dept and do a search on one of the numbers. It should tell you which is which, either by description or the location in the diagram.

Thursday, August 22, 2013 10:15 AM
yeah just saw this. Ill check when i get home in about 5 hours if you havent figured it out.

I though the exhaust one was longer though?

Thursday, August 22, 2013 2:48 PM
No havent figured it out yet, and no there same length and almost look identical but have different numbers on them, and on the l61 its easy to tell bc intake is longer

FuzzMASTA9
Thursday, August 22, 2013 7:39 PM
yeah I was thinking about the L61 when I thought they were variable lengths.

Heres what I got from the cams....

Head, Intake closest, Exhaust furthest

Both had this on them (arrow pointing to front of engine, towards crank)

Exhaust Cam

Exhaust Cam

Intake Cam

Intake Cam

To be honest there really wasn't much difference in the two. The "S" on the exhaust and the "T" on the intake and the numbers to the left of them were slightly different.

When I checked my other LSJ head, the only numbers that matched and were identical were the "T985" for INTAKE Cam, and "S363" for EXHAUST Cam.
other markings on the cams were different, production dates, numbers, codes, or something.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, August 22, 2013 7:40 PM

Thursday, August 22, 2013 7:45 PM
Awesome thanks man, thats what I needed to know. Funny thing is I just went and checked my cams and had them in the right order sitting next to the head

FuzzMASTA9
Thursday, August 22, 2013 8:02 PM
Okay random brain dump, forgive the rambling....

I got the ARP head studs in Monday.
Today after work I got the L61 oil pan off (2 bolts we didn't see because you have to lift the sucker up high to notice them).
I removed all of the unnecessary stuff on the Good LSJ head (little coolant line connected to the Upper radiator hose), power steering block off plate, cam sensor set up, boost solenoid dohickeymabobber, and a few various other pieces.
I removed the valve cover and some pieces of the Bad LSJ head. I also removed the Thermostat housing/piping connected to the Waterpump so I can take it to a shop to have it modified.
I also got the LSJ coil pack and harness out...need to remember what people said I can do with this.
I noticed my oil pressure sensor on the oil cooler plate was broken (during engine shipment). So I need a new one of those.
Removed the LSJ fuel rail and fuel rail cover (now have two of those )

Im going to use the black painted Valve/Cam cover and maybe paint the shiny coil pack cover arrival blue. Ive got the LSS sides to have painted blue and Im probably going to have a special surprise piece painted as well (heh heh).

So tonight was getting a lot of little things done. Tomorrow I have a date and Saturday is pretty filled with car meets and house warming party for someone, so not sure when Ill get back to the engine. But I want to remove the Tranny mounts to have the new bushings pressed in, and I need to remove my tie rods and control arms so I can get my new tie rods, ball joints, and aluminum CA's in.

Quick question on the little nozzle fitting in front of the coolant temp sensor (by the upper radiator hose), can I just plug that?
I also noticed my oil pressure sensor for the L61 seemed to be identical to a spot on the LSJ block to the left of the oil filter housing (little 6 or 8mm plug bolted in not being used). Can I just use that oil pressure sensor and block off the one on the oil cooler? Then I don't need to buy a new one and the harness will plug in properly. Also noticed the harness/plug to the left of the oil filter housing is different and I believe I can just swap over the plug from the L61 to the LSJ.

Holy crap that's a lot sorry...but I just basically brain dumped and am trying to get everything in order.

Random pics of tonight...

Thursday, August 22, 2013 8:08 PM
Pete P wrote:Awesome thanks man, thats what I needed to know. Funny thing is I just went and checked my cams and had them in the right order sitting next to the head

no problem! I really want to get this sucker built and ready to drop in. Its only half the battle. Once its in, ive got to hook everything up, and the on to the tuning part of it. No light at the end of the tunnel yet...

Thursday, August 22, 2013 8:18 PM

Quick question on the little nozzle fitting in front of the coolant temp sensor (by the upper radiator hose), can I just plug that?
-If its the one im thinking of you unscrew the nipple out of the l61 head and put in the lsj one, its for bleeding air and goes to your overflow.

I also noticed my oil pressure sensor for the L61 seemed to be identical to a spot on the LSJ block to the left of the oil filter housing Can I just use that oil pressure sensor and block off the one on the oil cooler?
-This I would say if lsj had a plug there take it out and run oil pressure sensor there and plug one on cooler than dont have to modify harness to reach sensor.

Also noticed the harness/plug to the left of the oil filter housing is different and I believe I can just swap over the plug from the L61 to the LSJ.
-For this I think your thinking of the crank sensor thats located there but not positive without seeing picture of what your exactly talking about, if it is nothing is used there and instead you run the l61 sensor with your trigger wheel.

FuzzMASTA9
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search