'03 Yellow Belly Turbo Build - Page 3 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: '03 Yellow Belly Turbo Build
Monday, September 09, 2013 1:58 PM
I just landed a new place to live. The cabinet shop I used to work at that shut down. Fully furnished, with bed, tv set, kitchen, utensils, and everything you need for $500 plus utilities. Will take pics as soon as the people have cleaned out the space, which has enough room for 3-4 cars on a cement floor. Since we used to finish cabinets... There is a spray booth that I will connect plastic to and make a spray booth out of.

The hard part to this build right now is the turbo connecting to the exhaust since it is an old '86 ford SVO turbo. Not easy to find all the parts for the turbo at a cheap price. But I'm digging the pillar pod for sure, and can't wait to light 'em up!

To turbocharge, or not to uh, uh..... eh, that last part don't matter.

Monday, September 09, 2013 5:01 PM
What's your turbo exhaust flange look like? I have a 87 T-Bird elbow that may work for ya.
Tuesday, September 10, 2013 8:48 AM

I need this flange for the exhaust side. Only need the flange (unless you have a tight 3" 90* elbow on the it) cuz I'm taking the car to a friends exhaust shop and is going to do 3" all the way. If I need to bore out the hole to 3" then that is no problem.. but I do need the internal WG blocked off as the above flanges do so. Do you have the compressor side flanges also? both the intake and the compressed..

To turbocharge, or not to uh, uh..... eh, that last part don't matter.
Tuesday, September 10, 2013 1:41 PM
Abe Jacobs wrote:

I need this flange for the exhaust side. Only need the flange (unless you have a tight 3" 90* elbow on the it) cuz I'm taking the car to a friends exhaust shop and is going to do 3" all the way. If I need to bore out the hole to 3" then that is no problem.. but I do need the internal WG blocked off as the above flanges do so. Do you have the compressor side flanges also? both the intake and the compressed..

I have the 4 bolt flange I believe, so I had to custom make my flange, then locate the factory part. I suppose my turbo was a bit different than yours. haha
Tuesday, September 10, 2013 2:31 PM
Dude you recommended me to atpturbo.. man their customer support pretty much sucks, treat you like you know absolutely nothing, prices are high, and to top it off, the website when trying to checkout is calling me a fraud! I am about to go to a machine shop here locally. I'm quite ticked with them.

Did you say my car looks slow??
Tuesday, September 10, 2013 2:41 PM
Abe Jacobs wrote:Dude you recommended me to atpturbo.. man their customer support pretty much sucks, treat you like you know absolutely nothing, prices are high, and to top it off, the website when trying to checkout is calling me a fraud! I am about to go to a machine shop here locally. I'm quite ticked with them.

Wasn't me. Never heard of them.
Wednesday, September 11, 2013 11:31 AM
Sorry bro. I see who it was now. When I was buying parts from you guys, I had a bunch of sellers names. So yes I'm "piecing" my car together with good parts... not with super glue like some other car companies do. But I ain't gonna mention Honda's name. That would look bad on my part

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 9:50 AM
Long time no update! I know! sorry!

Ok sooooo, I got quite a bit done last time I was in the garage.. I hope to be starting it up this next weekend or the next weekend I'm out there. Like I said, I have a new shop I'm moving into, so I won't have to drive 250 miles every other weekend to see my car. The a few pics I wish I had taken, but when you're on a roll you forget to take pics... and forget to eat.. so not good on the body lol

Remember how dirty the tranny was when I pulled it? Check it after cleaning, and before painting.

My engine put together, for the most part

Can you tell the difference between day pics and night pics?

My stage 3 Spec clutch, 6 puck, with Fidanza lightweight flywheel

We were going to install the wiring harness while it was at our level and very easily accessible but.... we couldn't figure out (didn't have the patience) how to attach the harness in the correct orientation and position.

This guy just keeps showing up in my car, rides 250 miles, and helps me.. All for what? To have the first ticket as Shotgun in my car lol

Front side, all painted and assembled

Back side, all painted and assembled

It's going in, this took us about 3 hours... Our first engine install ever, and definitely not our last

The turbo has more room than I thought it was going to have.

There she is.. Installed in the bay that she belongs. Now I gotta finish up the odds and ends.

I think that when I paint it, the blue will really pop. I also have big plans for a color on the valve cover! That is a ways away. just trying to get it running for now.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 11:57 AM
Awesome work man this is a great build!

I still love that intake manifold

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, September 24, 2013 5:32 PM
yeah that's looking great!
did you swap the LSJ upper motor mount onto your L61?

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Wednesday, September 25, 2013 10:35 AM
As far as the exhaust flange, its a standard Garrett downpipe flange. Awesome progress!

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 11:26 AM
blu04DD wrote:yeah that's looking great!
did you swap the LSJ upper motor mount onto your L61?

No. It's actually a Semi-Solid motor mount from Level Zero Motorsports. Such an improvement from stock!! This with the Prothane tranny mounts I get NO wheel hop period.
http://www.levelzeromotorsports.com/store/index.php?cPath=36&sort=2

Check their website out guys and girls, a few awesome parts for our J's.

Roofy wrote:As far as the exhaust flange, its a standard Garrett downpipe flange. Awesome progress!

True, but a Ford 5-bolt pattern it is. The flange I have above in the pics, I just bought cuz it's a 3" opening ID so I can have my 3" exhaust all the way.

Thanks guys for the encouragement.. with or without it, I would still complete this project just cuz I like being the underdog. But the encouragement makes it all the more exciting! Thanks again for the support!

Monday, September 30, 2013 2:22 PM
Update....

Ok short weekend which sucked!

I got a few things worked out that I was planning on. Do y'all know what sucks about the custom builds?? THE LITTLE BITTY THINGS! They make you wanna just throw a wrench at it and say, why are you being so difficult?!

Well anyways... things I accomplished this weekend:
I hooked up most of my wiring harness
I bled my clutch line
Routed and installed the drivers side charge piping
Cleaned up the interior
Relocated the ECU
Put together my driver side fender/wells/stuff
Installed the new CV axles
Filled the tranny with Synchromesh
Hooked up the battery, and no sparks so that was good
And gauges are all set and good to go

So here's the ECU relocated under the dash, in between the feet of the driver and passenger (just enough wiring length)

My charge pipe routing and setup

Gauge cluster and new gauges.. Tell me if you like the blue or green better? (Imagine I had a blue AFR)

And I had a little fun with the phone

Also because of my turbo location, my AC canister is being moved. Air filter is replacing its place.

Thursday, October 10, 2013 1:59 PM
Question.... Where does the hole in between intake ports 2 & 3 go to?

Thursday, October 10, 2013 2:34 PM
It is for your pcv system.

Whats your plans for your pcv system?
Thursday, October 10, 2013 6:48 PM
Yes, by all means block it off!!! You really don't want to be pressurising your crankcase

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Friday, October 11, 2013 12:55 AM
the blue definitely on the gauges. But those would look killer with red gauges on the a pillar then red needles on the blue gauge cluster. Ive started noticing I really like red on the dash.

anyways that's all bad ass. can wait to hear it running! Oh and for your new axles, did you bother putting in new seals? I didn't and now one of mine leak...$10 part I didn't buy, smh....
That oil return line off the turbo...is it just me or is that thing massive? o.O

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Wednesday, October 16, 2013 7:35 AM
OK thanks guys. I forgot how low my car sits compared to my stock '02 lol I almost fell in (I'm so tall, I kinda did)

No plans Philly D, just didn't know since the previous owner tried to tap out the hole there and broke the tap in the hole. That was a pain to cut out! High Carbon Steel.

Blue.. I can change the colors on the oil and boost gauge, but needles would need replaced. I'll see what the junk yard holds. I also did not replace the seals. I saw a leak from tranny fluid the other day, but I thought it was just the case not sealing. I'll check again. And yes, that is a massive drain line lol

So Y3llow...You say you love my mani.... well my feelings on it are teetering on a couple of problems.

The plenum is MASSIVE! It's a 4" tube of stainless steel that makes it very difficult to change the oil filter. That's the first reason..

The second reason is that when I first put the manifold on about a year ago (it was N/A then), it idled at around 3,000 RPM and would not go down. When I unplugged the map sensor, it idled at the correct RPM 850-950, but it was pushing black smoke out the tail-end of the vehicle, which if I'm correct, was running WAY TOO rich.

Since I was kinda broke too, I was told I needed to tune it. So not a tuner then, I just went back to stock.

So now that I have that confession off my chest, I have a couple problems now.

1. I have everything hooked up (electronically) and I am part electrician (shop class helped) so I double checked the voltages before and after I turned the key to the "ON" position.
All the connections showed the correct voltages, so I went to crank her on. The motor turned over once every second, so it was a very slow whine and eventually quit turning. I didn't know what in the world was going on! I thought it was the battery, it tested good. So I checked my ground from the battery to the trunk.. IT WAS HOT! I had too small of a Ground for all those cranking amps to go through. Replaced it with a battery cable and turned over probably faster than before the motor was torn apart.
Problem 1 fixed.

2. The problem with the high RPM's... yeah, I got it again. Is there something in the .hpt file that I need to change? I have the pro version. I have a tight connection to the head with a thick gasket material, so I am doubting an air leak. But how would I check for an air leak in that area? I'm in a rut on this one guys, and it is racking my brain.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 3:33 PM
Without going back through the thread, what TB you running?

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 5:06 PM
If its the Vortec or ls1 Tb which it kinda looks like in the pic.

Check the butterfly plate. If it has a hole in it then thats your high idle issue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, October 16, 2013 6:08 PM
Wednesday, October 16, 2013 7:48 PM
great build so far, hope you get all the small bugs figured out

Thursday, October 17, 2013 6:23 AM
Philly -- you are correct. It is a 3 bolt LS1 TB. I'll check for a hole tonight after work. If I do have a hole in the butterfly, then what would you guys recommend to seal it?

Mike -- I thank you good sir for your complement

When I was moving the cavy on the trailer and to the shop and off the truck and yada yada yada.. (this is the part where I just didn't know where to start troubleshooting) it idles like I said (at 3,000) but when I engaged the clutch the first time, it stalled cuz I was trying to not give it gas for high rev sake. But when it was fully engaged the second go round, I gave it a little gas so it wouldn't stall. But it wasn't trying to climb to 3,000 rpm like it did when it idled. This is why I'm quite confused. And if I did something wrong.. TELL ME! please

Thursday, October 17, 2013 3:16 PM
If you have that hole in your TB, best bet is to take it and have it TIG welded as cold as possible to not warp the blade. Mine is sealed with some super high strength epoxy, but id still rather have mine welded if it ever comes off again.

Also, if you go to buy an IAC motor ever.... I believe that is the one thats the same as the 2200, and is WAY cheaper than an LS1 motor... Yes its technically a motor instead of a sensor so you have to do some hunting.

Thursday, October 17, 2013 3:34 PM
It's gotta be a vacuum leak or if you have one, the hole in the tb blade. Keep us posted man

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, October 18, 2013 7:59 AM
Up to the date
Ok I don't have a leak per say.. I'll explain after a few photos from my sponsor.

Relocated the boost controller.

Last night I started the car up after I put a hole in my 12" long exhaust for my upstream O2 sensor, and another for my wideband.
It idled at 3000, again. I checked for any obvious leaks by listening. Nothing. I also checked the wastegate dump for some reason. In the back of my mind told me to.
Then I got in the car and the RPMs were lowering. ???????
So in the video you'll see all this. Plus, the car runs sweet, and accelerates fast (when not in gear)

Here's the first startup with "everything" hooked up

Lastly, Daniel and I took the car out for a test drive. Went to a nice freshly paved stretch at about 11:00pm. 3" exhaust pipe that is 12" long is..... kinda LOUD lol
We went down the stretch checking for the Sheriff or State Trooper, nothing and all clear. Watching the gauges (I was watching the boost mainly and AFR's when I could. I was mainly focused on the road and my tachometer. I went from a stop, but didn't spin tires for the reason of not wanting to push it too hard yet. Then in 3rd I was to the floor and my boost didn't get above 4 psi. Something was wrong, so being late and loud as all get out, I drove back home. On the way home, a very loud whistle started to come about, and lost all boost. Got it home, and saw that my coupler held on by the worm clamps that I hadn't replaced with the T-bolt clamps had came apart. Thus explaining no boost. But the whistle was still there. I forgot that I hadn't tightened the wastegate extender pipe to the manifold yet because I didn't buy a gasket yet.

So today, getting a few parts and tools to finish it and then I'll be rocking and a rolling to an exhaust shop, and the tune shop.

I was also shocked about the AFR's being where they were! Happy last night. Excited today!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search