Turbo LN2 Video - Page 2 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Turbo LN2 Video
Wednesday, June 19, 2013 12:56 PM
Quote:

Ick, the AlphaN setup is horrible, lol. I ran mine for about 10k miles and it was pretty accurate but nothing like It should be. Babying it to stay out of partial throttle boost was a pain with relying on PE to fuel it properly and everything. Doable, but far from ideal.

I hear you on that! mine does ok below 4k on anything under 75% throttle and over that i think its 50% where PE kicks in. However we set it up I cant remember, its very driveable at almost all rpm/gears/TPS positions, but there are a few spots where it pukes and hates me if there isnt enough positive pressure to back up where I want my foot on the pedal lol. Im ok with that for now because a real map tune is the next step. On 5psi it was pretty dead on no matter what I did, but my fuel pump was dying so it would lean out at the top of each gear.

Quote:

We just think it's time to upgrade the radiator. You can drive all day long out of boost or for tiny pulls but beating on it takes forever to cool back down....so we're going to toss a 180 t stat and lower the fan settings to see if we can fend it off, otherwise we might be looking at a bigger radiator.

Is it bored over at all? I beat the stink out of mine on long drives and it really doesnt go north of like 210* and thats at stops. I hope you get it figured out, I want to see what that thing can do!

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire

Monday, July 29, 2013 4:48 PM
It's been over a month. What's the status of this thing?

---------------------------------------------------
4 Cams...32 Valves...5 Liters...This Could Get Fun!

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 6:39 AM
Bigger injectors (ordered)
Bigger fuel pump (ordered)
PCV Setup (fixed)
Fuel tank (Drained?)

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Thursday, August 01, 2013 8:44 PM
Quote:

Bigger injectors (ordered)
Bigger fuel pump (ordered)
PCV Setup (fixed)
Fuel tank (Drained?)

Pics or it didn't happen.

---------------------------------------------------
4 Cams...32 Valves...5 Liters...This Could Get Fun!

Friday, August 02, 2013 10:38 AM
I have a random tub I found full of gas, and an empty box of parts you can look at if you'd like?

Lol

I intended to take pics but ended up forgetting to as I always fn do.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 12:44 PM
Small update on my car:

Got it running again.

Installed a new PCV catch can setup to help the blowby I was having. It was pushing like a quart of oil out of the motor every few days. No drips or oil consumption for the last ~700 miles now. Finally!

Installed an Aeromotive 340 Stealth pump. This thing pumps a LOT of fuel

Threw in a set of 80 lb/hr injectors.

Got it running on a 10psi tune (because there were some issues with my crappy boost controller). Its currently running on e85 as well.

Once i figure out the boost controller issues and get it making some more power, I can post up a new video. Been running for like 300 miles on e85 and havent had any problems. It holds great afr's daily driving and its actually a tad rich under boost, which im going to try to lean out with more boost.

More videos soon. I love the smell of e85 exhaust.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 9:04 AM

Less than half of what I was paying a month ago for 93 Octane? YEP, Love it!

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 1:48 PM
UPDATE:

Ended up with a new wastegate spring, new boost controller and a few tweaks here and there.

Retuned the car for 20psi. I ended up burning up a connection for the fuel pump and made my own version of a rewire for it. 40a relay in the trunk thats turned on by the PCM signal for the factory relay. Ran all new wires to the pump. Then it started running rich on the same 20psi (more power to the pump, more fuel).

Dialed it up to 23psi to lean it back out to where I wanted it. Its fn quick for an ln2 lol.

I cant get a video just yet because Its REALLY hard to control the car with one hand and hold a camera at the same time WOT. Once I get a passenger and remember to do it, Ill post a video.

Im working on a tubular header and trying to decide what kind of turbo to upgrade to. My initial goals for this car were 250whp. I have far surpassed that and I think the turbo is about to shatter into a million pieces lol. Plus it was an ebay turbo thats just plain getting tired out (its been GREAT for like 20k miles and I beat the piss out of the car).. its starting to push oil occationally.

I also *think* it is floating the valves at the top of the rev limiter. Im going to upgrade to something a little stiffer and redo the valvetrain a bit to change the geometry to see if I can squeeze a few more RPM out of it. I would like to see it turn to 7200 or so. I have been talking with comp cams about all of that and Im pretty sure I know the route to take. My lifters are hybrids that have also started to make a bit of noise now. Not sure if its the lifters themselves or what, but I got LS6 springs for the lifters and Im going to try those, the LT1 stuff started to make noise after a few hits of 64-6500 rpm. Pushrod, spring, and lifter changes this winter.

I still plan on driving it this fall till its too cold to drive it. So I'll get videos at some point. hopefully I dont destroy it before that time comes lol.

Wednesday, October 02, 2013 3:37 PM
Seems like you've been free to get some work done. Glad to hear that. .

Wednesday, October 02, 2013 4:14 PM
Well sorta. That's the list that's been accumulating since august lol

I'm at a standstill again till I get some more parts. I did put a short exhaust on it to tone down the noise a tad the other day. And I think I have a faulty injector clip maybe cause it's got a strange miss that comes and goes if you move the harness around. So it's sitting again haha.

Thursday, November 07, 2013 3:02 PM
Got the car running up to 7k finally!

The fuel pump stopped running the other day after it sat for 8 hours while I was at work, so its going back to Aeromotive for a replacement. It sucks cause it was only a few days after I got the new valvetrain setup in the car. It pulls pretty good up top when it gets traction. In the video the car just spins the whole time in second, and if I had 2 hands and shifted third it would just keep spinning till 80 or so if I let it.

Its using comp 26915 springs at a 1.7 installed height (I didnt want to cut the seats down more). After I talked to comp about the whole setup, these are what we went with. It was floating when it was over 6500 or so on 20psi with the other springs I tried (ran stellar on lower boost though).

The turbo runs out of breath up there but its just a 50mm. An upgraded turbo, and a tubular header are going on this winter. Should be making some really healthy power next year.

Quick 10sec video of a 2nd gear pull (i popped the limiter kinda hard cause it grabbed the road right at the top and i didnt have a chance to react with the camera in my hand lol)

Sunday, November 10, 2013 12:41 AM
Beautiful.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 9:39 AM
Awesome

I dont know if I missed it, but did you upgrade the lifters too?

Thursday, November 14, 2013 9:41 AM
Mrs Jazer wrote:Awesome

I dont know if I missed it, but did you upgrade the lifters too?

Never mind, i just looked at your profile thingy. Lt1 upgrade is exactly what I wanted to see

Thursday, November 14, 2013 10:17 AM
My profile may not be up to date exactly. I had lt1 hardware in it, but went to ls6 instead. They made them a bit harder.

I didn't feel like messing around any more, so I just upgraded cause it was $20 or so.

I'm working on a tubular manifold idea now and a larger turbo soon. I don't think I can cram much more air through the log and 50mm turbo it's got on it now.

Never thought I would see the day when traction at 60 was an issue lol.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 11:18 AM
Wow this sounds really great for the little LN2. Are you tuning it yourself? Still on Alpha-N?

Great job so far man, keep it up. And post more pics of the car and engine bay.

GMR has got nothing on this
Thursday, November 14, 2013 1:58 PM
its still Alpha-N. I am considering converting it to the Supercharger Tune, but 4 things are keeping me from that:
1) It really runs pretty good as it is and My driving is either "grandma style" or WOT.
2) With e85, im sure that it would probably be easy, but there may be issues with that fuel and that tune I don't know about
3) I would need to research what guys are doing with higher boost (Its running 20psi right now, which is already outside a 2bar range, and I plan on running more if the motor will take it)
4) I loathe wiring. plain and simple.

So spending credits on that just yet seems like a waste.

Under the hood is pretty ugly lol. Its definitely form following function! Hell its still on an ebay turbo, wastegate, and bov (all that will be upgraded this winter -- I'm shocked they lasted this long as hard as i run the car). The prettiest part of the car is the piston tops, last time I pulled the head they have no carbon on them from running e85.

I have a really cool video that I took with my iphone in slo-motion of the valvesprings at idle when I swapped them out that I should post, simply because I thought it was pretty neat.

Im keeping myself from going overboard on what I spend on the car. As much as needed to keep it running and on the road is what its getting (ie if it will do what i want with the same ebay wastegate still on it, it stays... I know its not the "right" way but thats kinda how the whole project has been and its taken a solid beating and keeps coming back for more). The only thing that can be taken from my cav to my next project is the wideband lol.

I have plans to build a turbo LSx truck for my next toy (something that I can use for doing work too) so once I get the cav "finished" and dyno'd im going to part it or sell it to someone local. With a kid its kinda pointless to keep the car long term, so ill get it to as high HP as I can "efficiently" and then be done probably end of next year. a 6-700whp truck will suit me well enough and be bulletproof AND my wife will be able to drive it .

Thursday, November 14, 2013 2:49 PM
Freggin sweet man. IMO, stick with alpha n. The credits alone make it not worth the money.

I'd love to see that video of the valve springs!

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, November 14, 2013 3:45 PM
Quote:

Freggin sweet man. IMO, stick with alpha n. The credits alone make it not worth the money.

Thanks!

Yea, Alpha-N for now is fine. If I get a wild hair down the road before I get rid of it maybe I will do a MAP tune. Im still considering it, but getting parts a better investment at the current time.

Quote:

I'd love to see that video of the valve springs!

Here we go:

I went back to the stock rockers just for peace of mind really. 1.54 vs 1.6 was a small enough difference to me that I don't think I'm losing much there (on an n/a car maybe) I had issues with the crane 1.6's backing off and needing adjustment a bit more than I cared to pull the valve cover for (perhaps I was doing something wrong lol). Plus these seem to be quieter (probably related to pushrod length etc).

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 11:38 AM
Small update for the car:

In like November, I thought I blew the car up. Turns out that all I did was throw a belt and the flywheel bolts backed off (no biggie).

I went through the motor again and upgraded the flywheel bolts to ARP's, all looks well the bearings cyl walls pistons etc all look brand new still.

Doing a few upgrades this winter to the car as well as some maintenance. New axles, tie rods and brakes.

New custom header I designed and my dad welded up for me, and a GT35. I know its an ebay turbo, but it should be fine for this application. hell the current 50mm turbo was fine and it was working very hard with the 21+ psi we were running.

Header (basically a chopped up pacesetter with a merge collector on it):

Turbo (compared to the current one, lol slightly larger):

Thats all for now. Should make some decent power with this and a 3" exhaust. Ill be adding a second fuel pump to the tank on a psi switch and a few other odds and ends (like real tial wasgegate and BOV lol instead of knock offs)

Since this will probably be the last round of upgrades for the car, Ill dyno it and share the results if I dont blow it into a million pieces before I get to the dyno. Im hoping for over 450whp, but we will see what it'll do. Im already happy with it, so anything more is just a huge plus.

If it survives the dyno, Ill throw some 245's on it and see what it will do at a track too. 2014 is going to be a good year for the LN2!

Thursday, January 16, 2014 6:23 PM
This has me even more excited for my tune and first ride lol. My goal was 300whp, with tubular manifold, similar build, similar psi. I like where yours went and im hoping mine goes in the same direction hp wise. Good luck with the build.

XtremE2200CaV: The Build has Begun
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3864109/2001-chevrolet-cavalier-sedan-4d

Thursday, January 16, 2014 7:19 PM
Thats a pretty slick idea for the manifold. I hope it holds up to the extra head from the header. My Pacesetter didnt seem the most solid.

Thursday, January 16, 2014 7:21 PM
Vinny, man just go for it and shoot for 400. IMO your build can take it. I forget what turbo you're on but with a log and 2.25" exhaust I was cutting my own throat, if I had bigger exhaust and a tube manifold it probably had a LOT more in it.

Though idk what the auto can take lol

Friday, January 17, 2014 4:53 AM
Thanks Matt. The turbo I went with consists of:
Compressor Specs:
- T04S
- Housing flow: 61 lbs/min 781cfm
- .70 A/R housing
- 60-1 TRIM wheel

Turbine Specs
- T3
- .48 A/R housing
- High Flow 76 Trim Stage3 wheel

- Oil Lubricated Center Section.
- 360 Degree Thrust Bearing
- For external wastegate
- Can support up to 525 WHP

The only thing I am worried about is the exhaust of the turbo as it is only a .48AR. I should have upgraded to the .63. The manifold from RD Fabs was a work of art. I know I will have low end power but Im not sure how it will be up top. DP is 2.5 and exhaust is all 3" back. The auto is something else that will restrict it, but I did rebuild the tranny with all performance parts. Having Ryan tune it, so I know it will be done right. Im sure I will be satisfied with the car, but things can always be upgraded. I was told by a few people that my goal was possible, was not possible, or I will blow it away so Im just going to wait and see. If my car made anything close to 400 at the wheels, I don't think the grin would come off my face.

XtremE2200CaV: The Build has Begun
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3864109/2001-chevrolet-cavalier-sedan-4d
Friday, January 17, 2014 6:04 AM
Brian I didn't see your post last night, I had my dad weld the merge parts on, so that I trust.
He said the ports at the head flange seem solid, when I was fitting the tubes into the merge I had it bolted to a spare head and that head clamped to my table so I could manipulate the runners. I used a torch to heat them and a 3' bar to move em, it seems like it'll hold.

Of course if it ever starts to suffer damage I'll just pull it and get it welded up. No worries.

I thought it was a good idea, and as much research as I did across platforms I couldn't find any one who had done similar. Idk if that's cause it's a bad idea or just cause most other vehicles have more readily available parts for less. Will see, For just over $110 in parts and free welding I don't think I could go wrong trying.

That .48 turbine might hurt getting to 400, but honestly I still think you have a shot. The turbo i ran was a baby lil guy even though it was a .63. I think my tq far exceeds hp right now which probably will change with this new setup. On a .48 with that auto though you may be making more useable power which is better for practical reasons. Tire spin is fun but it's irritating to have to plan to try and avoid lol. You def will be able to break your 300 goal without asking the motor to try very hard to do it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search