Turbo LN2 Video - Page 3 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Turbo LN2 Video
Friday, January 17, 2014 6:21 AM
Thanks for the comment Matt. I agree with the usable horsepower. I want to use the car pretty often, its not going to be a track monster although it will see the track here and there. Tire spin is a concern for me. I went with the poly arm bushings, but I am looking into a wider wheel and tire setup for the future. I have seen some builds similar to mine and I have a feeling 300 wheel is not going to be a problem but im not getting my hopes up. I know I will make more torque so it should be a fun little sleeper.

XtremE2200CaV: The Build has Begun
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3864109/2001-chevrolet-cavalier-sedan-4d

Friday, January 17, 2014 9:43 AM
Really good news that she didn't blow. I think you're right on the rockers, no major loss there and if you stuck with the 1.6's you were asking for trouble. Hope you reach your goals with this turbo; should be interesting!

"In Oldskool we trust"
Saturday, January 18, 2014 7:13 AM
After all the stuff I have done to it and as many times as I've seen it apart afterward (cause I tear it down almost completely every time I work on it) I'm not sure it'll ever blow lol. If it does I really am hoping for mass carnage. I'm ok with blowing it up just it has to be something unfixable so I can move on to a better car lol.

It's got enough turbo now to get over 450, so even if my motor build isn't efficient enough I can probably do it with enough psi. Lol.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Saturday, January 18, 2014 9:32 AM
Looking good. Curious to see how low the turbo sits.

Saturday, January 18, 2014 11:50 AM
Ill get some pics of it when I hang it in the car, my dad just dropped off my header at my house while im at work. Im gonna paint it tonight and See if i can hang it on there tomorrow.

it should hang down just in front of and just above the starter. I might have to scoot the radiator forward a little (cause my mock up with my smaller turbo i didnt anticipate the size correctly of this gt35 lol.

I kinda just winged it and got the best fitment vs ability to manipulate the header as possible when i put it together (it looked easy, but it fn was not easy to get the tubes in the merge collector so cutting the primaries shorter would have been almost impossible with the tools i have).

Im not worried, if i have to cut the car up a little to get it to fit? no big deal, its worth the money saved vs the benefit over keeping the log.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Sunday, January 19, 2014 5:53 PM
It turned out quite nicely with some paint on it!

I mis-judged the location of the wastegate turn out, so we will re-clock that where it fits better. No biggie.

Since the location of the turbo is non-negotiable at this point and it clears the starter where it sits im happy.

Just need to:
1) Scoot the radiator a little bit more forward, and probably get a pusher fan instead of a puller fan for the radiator so it can mount on the front side and save a little room

2) Relocate the lower coolant lines. Im going to have my dad weld up as much hard piping as we can get vs using hose. Im gonna order some stainless tube thats the right size to weld up -- we will get it as close to the framerail as possible. Easy peasy.

3) needs downpipe and new exhaust in 3". Easy as pie.

One pic from this morning. too cold to take more lol.

Sunday, January 19, 2014 9:16 PM
I like it, plan on adding any bracing to the collector to the block? My only consern would be the think pmetal used on the primaries going out. Otherwise it looks great.

Monday, January 20, 2014 12:07 AM
I actually thought of bracing, and I probably will once it's all said and done just because I have a bunch of metal laying around anyway and it will be real simple to fab something.

I'll probably run a loop from the place where the oil dip tube mounts to the block (factory hole) to the other side by the water pump where the alternator bracket mounts on the bottom. I'll need somewhere to mount the dip tube anyhow since the coolant pipe I have there now may be in the way. That should be strong and serve both purposes nicely

Monday, January 20, 2014 7:15 PM
Looking good.

Tuesday, February 04, 2014 10:52 AM
Couple pics of the exhaust my dad and I tacked up last night.

Not too bad for laying on cold concrete at night. lol.

Wednesday, February 05, 2014 7:02 AM
Nice.

Wednesday, February 05, 2014 7:31 AM
Matt Linke wrote:It turned out quite nicely with some paint on it!

I mis-judged the location of the wastegate turn out, so we will re-clock that where it fits better. No biggie.

Since the location of the turbo is non-negotiable at this point and it clears the starter where it sits im happy.

Just need to:
1) Scoot the radiator a little bit more forward, and probably get a pusher fan instead of a puller fan for the radiator so it can mount on the front side and save a little room

2) Relocate the lower coolant lines. Im going to have my dad weld up as much hard piping as we can get vs using hose. Im gonna order some stainless tube thats the right size to weld up -- we will get it as close to the framerail as possible. Easy peasy.

3) needs downpipe and new exhaust in 3". Easy as pie.

One pic from this morning. too cold to take more lol.

It looks like you have more room that I do in mine! I know mine is extremely tight. Glad to see you and Vinny not giving up on this engine!

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Wednesday, February 05, 2014 9:40 AM
Quote:

It looks like you have more room that I do in mine! I know mine is extremely tight. Glad to see you and Vinny not giving up on this engine!

If I didnt already have parts for it when my sunfire transmission died a long time ago (excuse to buy a 5speed car) I probably would have gotten a dohc motor.

I had to shave the compressor housing down a little bit to get the starter to clear with enough room to make me comfortable with it. Not a huge deal since the compressor is pretty thick material anyhow.

I got it all to fit with the radiator moved forward on the bottom and forgot that the height of the wastegate required the top of the radiator to be moved out more. Sucks because I just welded in my new mounts for it in the position it have it in. Oh well.

Its tight to say the least, but its almost like the people who designed the LN2 J were just begging for the owner to throw a big turbo in that space up there. Theres *just* enough room

Wednesday, February 05, 2014 4:01 PM
Agree, everything in my engine bay is so close and tight, im not even sure how it all fits. I know my turbo is roughly in the same area and is alittle smaller, but we have the same idea with placement and I ran my exhaust the same way just out the back. Good luck with the build Matt, I know the amount of work that goes into it!

Wednesday, February 05, 2014 4:34 PM
Its not so bad when you approach it from the perspective where it only doesn't fit cause you have not had a chance to "cut this" or "move that" yet.

Driving the car at the power level it was at before I started these upgrades was thrilling to say the least, but simply bolting on a larger turbo and retuning would not have been as satisfying

having to actually think about where I'm going to put things and fabricate parts from nothing and make it work the way I want to is more fun than the rest of it. When its done it'll be fun as hell, but I will probably find SOME way to get it back in the garage and work on it. lol

Wednesday, February 05, 2014 5:27 PM
what happened with that big dent in the core support?
Wednesday, February 05, 2014 8:57 PM
Quote:

what happened with that big dent in the core support?

Wasn't enough room for the first turbo lol.

Thursday, February 06, 2014 4:49 AM
Matt: I agree, there's always something else you can do. I will be pretty much done with the powertrain on my car for a while after the tune as I want to add one or two pieces to exterior. (WW front lip and perhaps a different hood). There are small things here and there I need to finish but I want to enjoy the car this season as I almost forgot what it was like to drive it.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 12:41 PM
Just a couple pics to update with:

I got the exhaust fitted in and the lower coolant pipe mocked up. The nipple for the coolant tank hose was just tacked there like that to ensure it would fit. i used a different length (one that i didnt destroy lol) for the actual final product.

It will have about 1" clearance from the downpipe which im probably going to wrap anyhow. Just need to get these parts to my dad to get welded up and order a couple of silicone connectors for the top and bottom.

Dropped the fuel tank today to get ready to install the second pump and new lines. Cut a hole in the floor of the car and started bracing around it. Im DONE removing the tank to get to the pump. Going with a -8 feed and -6 return.

After I create the hanger for the pumps and get the header and coolant welds done, all the fabrication will be done and Ill be able to start putting it back together. Thankful for this long winter, extra time to get the car completed.

More to come next week probably. It really bites working in a 5* detached garage lol.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 8:13 AM
I hear ya....no progress on the car until we are back in the 30's plus I had a respiratory tract infection so I havent done jack @!#$.

Keep the progress coming.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 8:50 AM
I was sick for a while too, this winter is a blessing and a curse for sure.

I'm stoked to see what you guys do with that car this year.

Though now my attention is focused on the awd thread with Saab parts etc. lol the car may just never ever be finished. An awd cav would be a whole lot of fun. If I decide to do any drivetrain changes I'll probably do them next winter and beat the car a bit this year to see if the thing will even stay together. Next week looks to be warmer so that will make it easier to get outside. Anything above 20* feels warm lately lol. It's a strange feeling being almost done with all the upgrades. Not a month ago it felt like it would never be finished.

Friday, February 14, 2014 6:46 PM
I'd like to get the aluminum Rad upgrade in our car next week with the warm temps. However I wouldn't look for crazy power from us....I think we will have the highest powered non ported ln2 build haha that is our only bottle neck in making big power. My friend just ran out of money to get it ported plus he is getting married so all spare money is going there instead of the cavi....and he bought his 383 s ten back so that is another project that will take up some money.

Saturday, February 15, 2014 5:16 AM
It is doing well so far for unported. If I had as much free time as I used to Id offer to port it free of charge honestly. I did mine and it came out great; it's a time consuming pain in the balls but worth it lol

But I barely get like an hour a week to work on my own car, so it'd take me till 2015 to finish

I DO have another head I might look at concerning porting it further than my current one. I stayed conservative on the one I did (I also had a broken head that was professionally done to copy). If I'm not happy with what the car does this season, I'll probably do the spare one and see what I can make of it. If I do, the one that's on the car is up for grabs, id donate it to
Your build (lol wedding present).

Saturday, February 15, 2014 5:44 AM
Best wedding present EVER!

"In Oldskool we trust"
Sunday, February 16, 2014 1:35 PM
Yeah that Would be an awesome wedding gift. Speaking of which our other buddy is getting married and I will be building a starion table out of a cylinder head manifold and stock turbo. All I need is a head and ill be making a build thread for it in other cars.

Alright im done getting off topic.....you done yet?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search