Turbo LN2 Video - Page 7 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Turbo LN2 Video
Sunday, August 17, 2014 9:54 AM
Just an update:

Got the spec 4 in. I went with a 6 puck disc. Right off the bat it felt like it was going to engage like stock and i started to get worried that It wasnt what I thought it was going to be.

I have like 30 miles on it and after like the 5th stop light it started to get grabby. lol. being a rigid hub though its not as bad as I pictured; very drivable.

I need to bleed it again I think; but it engages like a lightswitch now. The engagement window on the pedal is like 1". Its in the same spot every time so far which is good.

I cant wait to get some more time on it and get back to being able to go wot with it.

hopefully I can get a tuning session in using 4th gear instead of third to tune. More load and no wheelspin would be great. Then hopefully i can get to a dyno again this year to see what its actually got in it.

The stock replacement LUK was actually not in "Horrible" shape. the flywheel side of the disc was about 50% gone. The trans side was good. Im surprised how well it seemed to look despite the ass kicking i gave it.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire

Sunday, August 17, 2014 10:02 AM
Nice

Sunday, August 17, 2014 1:04 PM
Good god man, that car screams, nice work.

89 355 s10 blazer
94 sunbird, 2.0 turbo 5spd getrag swap
Turbonetics turbo, intercooler, E85 20psi
Sunday, August 17, 2014 3:07 PM
Thanks!

Yea it does pretty good for what it is.

I can't wait till I get to the point where I can stop replacing parts that can't handle it lol.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Monday, August 18, 2014 4:49 AM
Hopefully that clutch works out for you. I think I speak for everyone when I say we now need videos of it blowing the tires off instead of the clutch

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, August 18, 2014 5:49 AM
I may or may not have gotten antsy last night on the way home.

I did a pull In 4th starting at 3k. I didn't stay in it long (just enough time for the gate to open basically)

Clutch didn't let go. The tires did though. The steering wheel kicked hard just like it does in third when the tires come loose. It did that and then I let out.

After putting some miles on and a few heat cycles through the clutch it's really grabby now. I'm gonna put more miles on before I really start beating on it though.

Saturday, August 23, 2014 5:29 AM
So with decent miles on the clutch I got brave and let the car eat in 4th

It laid down about 100 feet of tire marks and did 70-110 almost immediately.

Holy @!#$

Now tires are mandatory. Talk about first world problems lol.

Next dyno soon if I can swing it, he's ready now

Saturday, September 06, 2014 11:10 PM
New tires on!!

Buuuut I guess the stock head gasket only can handle 35psi. Who would've guessed?

Luckily it was just pushing compression out toward the exhaust manifold and losing coolant externally. Oil is still only oil so it made it home without a problem

Down but not out. I bet I have a new gasket in in under 2 hours. Not worried; all it did was disallow a trip to the track tomorrow

With some fresh tires (direzza star spec 2s) it was getting pretty solid traction. Still tried spinning in 4th but that's still 30 psi in the tires

This is the first time the car has had a failure that I didn't cause. Not even upsetting.

Should be up running again Monday.

Sunday, September 07, 2014 9:16 AM
Cool. We got a cometic mls gasket if your looking to upgrade.

Sunday, September 07, 2014 10:35 AM
Stock thickness?

My head is milled; I don't want to add too much squeeze. I thought of doing it but I don't remember the thickness. I was gonna ask you if you still had it.

For now I may just do a fel pro and see how it goes. I have it already anyhow.

Lmk though. I have ideas for next year that will require an upgrade there for sure and with that I can pretty much do anything cause the motor will be revamped again. I want to spin higher; and add a bigger turbo. Show these dohc people what's up. 😎.

Sunday, September 07, 2014 11:58 AM
Id have to see what thickness. We went with a thicker than normal on our turd. I sent a text to the number i had stored for you from like 8 years ago. It was a long shot but we were at jalopy fest in morris today i could have brought it with.

Sunday, September 07, 2014 12:47 PM
Im up in elgin today anyhow for work. Morris is like 10 minutes from my house!

No worries though. Ill throw in a felpro for now and torture it for a month or so till its too cold to drive the car under boost.

If you still have it next year and I do my planned winter build; Ill probably buy it off you.

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 2:33 PM
new gasket installed!

I think its a personal best for me. I had it in and out of the garage in 90 minutes. Im gonna drive it tomorrow, but everything looked just fine. The tops of the pistons were just about as clean as the day they were installed. No water was in the oil but i put new oil in anyhow (cant risk that for $50).

Ill be nice to it for a day so i can heat cycle it and re-check the head stud tq.

9/27 its going to the strip to either run 12s or blow into a million pieces.

Thursday, September 11, 2014 2:56 PM
What track?

Thursday, September 11, 2014 3:30 PM
Byron.

The only one where tech "looks the other way" lol

You guys should come. It should be a killer day. Nothing like two bad ln2s there lol.

Saturday, September 13, 2014 10:12 AM
I wont be able to make nor my buddies turbo ln2. We have a buddies wedding in nothern Michigan that weekend.

Saturday, September 13, 2014 10:30 AM
dang, thats a bummer; but its all good. Weddings are important.

I think the motor is good to go. Its been heat cycled a few times, hasnt lost coolant or oil; pressure is good and the studs are still torqued.

I was out playing on the way home thursday night and had my first experience with spark blow out. Holy hell thats scary lol. Im on tr6 plugs which i have always run at .035 gap. I went down to 030 since its been cooler weather.

I think my problem was 2 fold. Higher air density because it was 47* (i was seeing leaner than normal afr's) and my extra engine ground broke off at the connector so it wasnt making contact. ever since i put the battery in the trunk i had low voltage issues without this extra ground strap; so maybe the coils didnt have enough power to fire as hard as usual.

If we have warmer weather on track day Ill open them back to 035 on a set of new plugs and see what happens. I think itll work in the cold on the newer plugs, these are 2-3 months old and my motor has always EATEN tr6's like snacks. Better safe than sorry for now though. So far this morning it was fine.

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 10:22 AM
Ok so I actually did break something this time. I overrevved it again (the syncros in the trans had been starting to make gear shifts feel muddy over 6500 rpm as the trans started to see more power). it runs fine but has some noise which i think is the timing chain.

Im going to be getting a new car next year; so its time to close this chapter for real. I know that if I dont get rid of the car; I will just keep going with it and I dont really care to have the worlds fastest FWD car that I cant take my family around in lol.

I have a for-sale post in the classifieds listing all the stuff I can/will sell off the car. There are probably more things on it i can sell; i just need it to be able to roll onto a flatbed when its time to have it scrapped.

Im keeping the 80's, the wideband and the FMIC. The rest is up for grabs. I will not sell anything that was damaged as a result of my inability to shift into the right gear lol.

Future reference, LN2 does NOT like like 10k rpm. .

Id sell the motor as a whole; but I dont think that its a good idea for it to go on without being completely torn down and rebuilt again. It ran great at the track; but it has taken a pounding. I cant in good conscience let someone buy it and not have some good machine work and checking done to it (its what id do if i was gonna go on with it next year).

http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/engine/62031/

Its been fun! It sorta sucks to break the recorded ln2 best Power adder time then immediately break the car from ignorance but what can you do?

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 10:38 AM
Matt Linke wrote:I have a for-sale post in the classifieds listing all the stuff I can/will sell off the car. There are probably more things on it i can sell; i just need it to be able to roll onto a flatbed when its time to have it scrapped.

This kinda makes me sad....I was just about convinced to keep the ln2 in mine
Wednesday, October 15, 2014 10:42 AM
Sucks to hear man :/ good luck with sale.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, October 15, 2014 11:34 AM
Quote:

No reason not to keep it!

I just dont want to keep putting effort into a car that my whole family cant enjoy. With only one seat and it being so loud its not a friendly car.

This car could have been (and would have if i didnt mess up) over 500whp and been doing better than 11s probably if i had it next summer. The motor was running awesome before I thought it was a good idea to shift backwards (lol it was pushing like 35psi cause it was cold out)

I wouldnt discredit the LN2 in the hands of anyone who can build. There are a few LN2s here that show that it is just as potent as the DOHC motors in the right hands. Sure its less efficient at making power, but thats what boost controllers are for .

The way I see it; if you want under 300whp all the motors can do that stock. If you want more than that you build it. It costs the same just about to build all 3; so why add the monies of a motor swap on top of that?

I got the wild idea to get like a 72 chevelle and put modern parts under the hood. That would fit like 10 people in it lol.

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 11:36 AM
Quote:

Sucks to hear man :/ good luck with sale.

Thank you. Its honestly for the better. I want traction under 90mph now. .

Plus one could build a potent motor with whats coming out of mine if all the parts are salvageable for relatively cheap.

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 11:39 AM
Egads, no. Not another LN2 biting the dust.
Wednesday, October 15, 2014 11:42 AM
Matt Linke wrote:
Quote:

No reason not to keep it!

I just dont want to keep putting effort into a car that my whole family cant enjoy. With only one seat and it being so loud its not a friendly car.

This car could have been (and would have if i didnt mess up) over 500whp and been doing better than 11s probably if i had it next summer. The motor was running awesome before I thought it was a good idea to shift backwards (lol it was pushing like 35psi cause it was cold out)

I wouldnt discredit the LN2 in the hands of anyone who can build. There are a few LN2s here that show that it is just as potent as the DOHC motors in the right hands. Sure its less efficient at making power, but thats what boost controllers are for .

The way I see it; if you want under 300whp all the motors can do that stock. If you want more than that you build it. It costs the same just about to build all 3; so why add the monies of a motor swap on top of that?

I got the wild idea to get like a 72 chevelle and put modern parts under the hood. That would fit like 10 people in it lol.

That would be a blast! LSx swap it
I may keep it and build it. 147,000 and has no issues at all so may be a good candidate. Who knows I may need some helpful hint/tips from you later on
Wednesday, October 15, 2014 11:57 AM
Quote:

Egads, no. Not another LN2 biting the dust.

Cant say it enough that this was user error lol.

Quote:

That would be a blast! LSx swap it

I would do that OR blasphemy and put a coyote motor in it. Im super impressed with what those can do; and theres enough room for the motor and a couple decent size turbos too.

Quote:

I may keep it and build it. 147,000 and has no issues at all so may be a good candidate. Who knows I may need some helpful hint/tips from you later on

Always willing to offer advice on anything, I probably will still visit the good ol org. Its habit that i browse it daily anyhow. Mine didnt see serious power till it was at like 155k; the block and crank have 155 on them with minimal work done. the block saw boost since 120; and last year it made good power but if i drove it with that smaller turbo setup again it would feel real slow compared to this year lol. so 147k miles its just a lil baby. lol

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search