Project-J 13' new year, new direction - Page 3 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Project-J 13' new year, new direction
Sunday, September 15, 2013 10:12 PM
Got the hood repainted, still going to replace later down the road, got most of the dent from the deer pulled out.
Got the right side 03-05 headlight, just haven't bothered swapping yet as it's gonna be a few months before its running again.

Decided rims will be ether black(maybe do the black/white theme again) or a gun metal.

Almost ready to tear down the head.

Going to be running matching set of LO cams instead of the "secret" cams.

Hoping to have motor pulled out this week.
Then I can get the head off to Jbrody for some port and polish work and the block dropped off once I get the 2.3 oil pump parts.

Then giving the bay a damn hardcore scrub down, most likely drop transmission as well to replace leaking seals and scrub it down and paint it silver.

Got this bugger out of my engine bay few weeks ago, only to find him under the hood of the Sentra I'm replacing a water pump on.
(That's a copperhead for those who don't know)

I LOVE Praying mantis' and here's a nice one I found the other day.

Building it one piece at a time

Sunday, September 22, 2013 6:13 PM
Well got the head pulled off finally.
First thing I notice is this.

Most likely the source of the smoking exhaust that would come and go.
Could possibly be causing some knock/pinging, but not going to cause the loss of power that suddenly happened.

Let us dig deeper.
Now.. this... could...

Going to be pulling the block next week sometime.

Stage one is to take care of the block;
*Get the 2.3 oil pump swap parts in hand
*Find a machine shop to do the modifications to the block and oil pan for the swap
*Get crank checked, polished and if needed resurfaced

Stage 2;
*Get the LO cams(sourced a set that is already modified for use with 2.4 PS pump and CPS, just hope he has it when I have the funds)
*Get the head ported and polished

Stage 3;
*Get timing housing/cover, cam towers, etc powder coated before assembly
*Get all parts need for reassembly(Such as gaskets, bolts, fluids, etc)
*Get motor together
*Install motor

And while this is all happening the front right wheel bearing needs replaced, and transmission will be dropped to replace leaking axle seal and cleaned up and painted silver.

Hoping to have it running again in time for the 2014 SEGME in April.
Hoping with the work done on the motor it'll see even 15 1/4 times or maybe break into 14s.

Saturday, November 02, 2013 10:37 PM
Well I'm sure a lot of you wish ether the car, or myself would burn.
But that's not gonna be the case, sorry.

With the help from a friend managed to get the block out. FINALLY.
That thing is flipping HEAVY.

And this is how the engine bay sits right now.

This week the Transmission is coming out along with the control arms(need new ball joints).
Going to clean up and paint the Transmission silver.

Then going to pull everything out of the bay, except for the brake system, then give it a scrub down.

Sometime in January going to pick up a motor from the junkyard to get it back on the road while I build up the motor I just pulled.

Sunday, November 03, 2013 7:27 AM
that head gasket is nice man
Sunday, November 03, 2013 6:36 PM
Isn't it? lol

After figuring out there is a bolt holding the engine harness in, it is now out.
Hoping to have the following pulled this week;
Axles
Control Arms
Front Struts
Transmission

Located a 2.3 oil pump, hopefully getting it around Christmas, then once I have the new crank gear I can get it off to the shop.

Sunday, November 03, 2013 7:51 PM
keep plugging away at it, eventually you'll be able to enjoy it once done.

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 3:28 PM
Got the C100 harness pulled out, and went to work prepping it for its eventual relocation under the dash.
Filled a shopping bag with unused connectors, wires and old loom.

The following sensors has been eliminated;
ABS
EVAP
A/C
Coolant level
Oil Level(was gone when I got the car)
EGR

Stripped all the loom and factory tape till I had every sensor going into the engine bay separated and organized into their own little bundle.
The single purple wire is to the started relay, its a larger gauge so I left it by itself.
And of course the battery to fuse block cable will have to be extended.

This is how I plan on running the harness.
Everything on the tile floor is the cab, fuse block will be under steering column, PCM will be where passenger airbag used to be.
BUT if I have enough length, I'd like to put the fuse block where the passenger airbag used to be instead of the PCM(since I'd access the fuses more than the PCM)
Everything on the carpet is the engine bay, and I believe the bundle on the right(VSS, Reverse switch, oil pressure, knock, brake fluid level, O2 sensors) should reach with no, or at least very little extending.
Where as the bunch on the left, including the TPS, IAC, Crank/Cam position, fuel injectors, MAP will most likely need extending.

Also plan on swapping the IAT sensor to a Camaro sensor so I can mount it in the 2.3 intake manifold.
Once all the wires are extended(or shortened if needed) they will be soldered and shrink wrapped and placed in new loom, or wrapped in electrical tape if its a single or just 2 sensor bundles.

My question is, there are two ground wires on the harness.
Do I have to extend them back to their factory locations(I know one of them is on the transmission) or can I ground them inside the cab?

Also I plan on running a digital oil pressure gauge, do I need to keep the stock sensor hooked up for the PCM to read or anything?
Or can I delete that plug?

I've acquired the 2.3 pump and baffle, should have them sometime in December, just need the

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 5:03 PM
Josh Watson wrote:Got the C100 harness pulled out, and went to work prepping it for its eventual relocation under the dash.
My question is, there are two ground wires on the harness.
Do I have to extend them back to their factory locations(I know one of them is on the transmission) or can I ground them inside the cab?

Also I plan on running a digital oil pressure gauge, do I need to keep the stock sensor hooked up for the PCM to read or anything?
Or can I delete that plug?

I've acquired the 2.3 pump and baffle, should have them sometime in December, just need the

I can't attest to the grounding question, but if you are certain that you're going to run a standalone oil pressure gauge, then you can ditch the sensor plug. All that sensor does is throw an "idiot light" on the cluster.
Tuesday, November 05, 2013 9:41 PM
You make me want to make a new harness and tuck
Wednesday, November 06, 2013 2:36 PM
why ditch the coolant level sensor? You will get a light on the dash for that.

FU Tuning

Saturday, November 09, 2013 5:11 PM
Addicted to meth wrote:why ditch the coolant level sensor? You will get a light on the dash for that.

Light has been on since my last run at SEGME back in April, guess it died or something.
I've disabled the CEL for it(electrical tape).
Going to run a temperature gauge so don't see a point in replacing the coolant reservoir to stop the CEL.

Made some progress, pulled the dash and support frame and got the chassis side of the C100 moved inside.
Looks better already, once the sensor wires are run I will modify the grommet to seal around the new set up.

Going to be removing the remaining ABS harnesses and then relocate the headlight harness under the frame behind the rear transmission mount bracket.

And that is about all the progress I have right now.
Much thanks to Josh Meyers as he is holding onto a passenger door, and LD9 motor mount brackets for me.

Sunday, November 10, 2013 5:04 PM
Transmission, Axles and mounts are out.

Just gotta get the header out now... which of course I can't find my 14mm wrench.

Sunday, November 10, 2013 7:19 PM
Had an idea for when the engine is back in and the bay is painted.
The colors on the motor is going to be silver and ether blue or bronze/gold.

Going to paint the firewall, strut towers, upper radiator support bar and pretty much all the vertical surfaces silver.
Then the horizontal(Frame rails?) flat black, on which the motor and transmission mounts will be painted flat black as well.
It'll give the illusion of a larger bay and compared to the silver and accent color, would just hide in the background.
Also provide a better cover for the little wiring that will be visible.

And someone on Facebook did a quick photoshop of it(Couldn't get the white silver, but he got the black).

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 5:35 PM
remove all unnecessary circuits. Flash them out if you have to like i did.
Sunday, November 17, 2013 9:27 PM
Spencer wrote:remove all unnecessary circuits. Flash them out if you have to like i did.

I have, just used electrical tape on the back of the dash face.
When I swap to a 97+ PCM, and can get it tuned I'll have the CEL removed.

Ran what sensor and wires I will be using through the firewall to get a feel for where everything is going to be in the end.

All the "rear" sensors will reach with no issues, most with the exception of 2, maybe 3 of the 'front' sensors will reach.
Only sensors that WILL need to be extended is the fan plug, starter and coilpack plugs, along with some of the grounds.
And of course battery to fuse block.

All that is left from the engine harness(coming through firewall), much MUCH cleaner than stock.
The largest part of the harness will be tucked under/behind brake block, with the 'rear' sensor bundle staying here and the 'front' sensor bundle going between engine and transmission tucked away under the coolant neck.(How I tucked it previously).

On the inside, made sure the PCM will reach the old airbag localtion(it does).

Fuse block will be secured under the steering column.

Plan for the remainder of 2013 is to get the engine bay scrubbed down, and painted.
Transmission cleaned up, painted(silver), both output seals replaced.
Header removed and cleaned up.

First goal in 2014 is to get the block torn down rest of the way(pistons/crank) and dropped off at the shop for 2.3 pump modifications.
Decided for the time being I'm just going to clean up the head and run stock cams, and skip p&p on this head and grab a different head to get worked on later down the road so I can get the car back on the road sooner.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search