Silver Z V2.0 - Page 2 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Silver Z V2.0
Monday, June 30, 2014 8:09 AM
Brad your M45 parts while be shipping back today to you.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Tuesday, July 01, 2014 11:57 AM
Awesome, Mike! That's great news.

I aint decided on the crank situation yet. I have a perfect ready to go lightened and knife edged crank. Balanced and polished with 2.3 gear already on it. However, this one is for my white car's motor so I'm not exactly thrilled about the idea of stealing parts from that build to make it work. I have another crank at my machinist's that just needs the work put into it. It's already been paid for etc. and has the replacement Jet rods with it. But, who knows how long that is going to take is the problem. I want this thing back on the road.

Anyways, in the meantime I have been working on my HO intake manifold that has had an LD9 flange welded to it. The flange welding on the outside was ok but the inside mating edges and what not left MUCH to be desired. there were sharp edges, walls, and all kinds of nasty going on in there... no doubt causing major turbulence and flow issues. Not to mention this setup also came with a phenolic spacer that had its OWN issues with edging etc on the inside. So, taking it upon myself and knowing exactly how I wanted it done... I figured why the hell cant I fix this thing.. it cant be that difficult if I just take my time. so, that's exactly what I did lol. I got my dremel out and started going to town. Mind you guys.. I have NEVER ported anything in my life but I got this thing looking exactly the way I had envisioned it being. The worst flow hindrance and obstructions were the protrusions into the runners for the LD9 fuel injector bosses. These were causing a 90* WALL right into the runner... so, I smoothed them out as well as matched the runner sides to the flange sides. Then I matched the phenolic spacer to the flange. its a 100% smooth transition throughout the runners/flange/spacer now. Needless to say I am VERY pleased with the outcome. The pictures do not do the work justice but I can assure you, its been done nicely.

Here you can see the mating issues... the right side lip on the inside was literally 1/4" thick. Left side was nearly as bad. Then the injector boss was sticking straight up into the runner flow basically being a wall in the way:

Here we are, getting there....

Then I drilled some line up holes to make sure its 100% matched when installing it, etc. Used drill bits...

I'm not quite done with it yet. I have one last port to get all roughed in then I will be smoothing all of the ports with a cross buffer and polishing wheel. I will get better pictured of the finished result but then I need to match the head side of the spacer to the head so that will be the next project.

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Thursday, July 03, 2014 4:24 AM
Definitely good progress there. That's not looking like an HO manifold to me, though. It might just be the angle.

Thursday, July 10, 2014 9:06 AM
It's definitely an HO manifold. Specifically... its an HO manifold with an LD9 flange welded to it.

Lately I have gotten it basically finished up. All that is left is I need to have a hole tig welded that's inside one of the runners. have no idea how or why it is there but it was threaded at one point lol. after that I will polish the crap out of everything I did and it will be complete. I still cant believe how easy this was. in fact, in terms of actual work involved, it was quite involved. shaping the injector boss protrusions on the inside proved to be a challenge. I cant believe I have paid people to do this kind of work for me in the past. never again, im going to do it all myself.

I got my BPS (Billet Pro Shop) getrag shifter cable piece today. I'll post pics later.

Engine is going very slowly. I did manage to get my new rings ordered this week, though. Total seal AP (advanced placement) stainless steel top ring and gapless second ring are basically the jist of them. Should be very good for nitrous and have pretty much zero leak down. Can't wait... I am very pumped to get this thing back on the road. We had a local performance shop (literally 15 miles away) get a dyno and will now be offering dyno tuning so as soon as its back up and running im hitting that place. The owner is a buddy of mine so I am confident I can have the timing dialing in just the way I want it for max performance. My goal is to beat paul's 201whp record.

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 5:42 AM
Brad, do you think you or I will actually have the motor in the car first?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, July 29, 2014 5:43 AM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:Brad, do you think you or I will actually have the motor in the car first?

My money's on Brad

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, July 30, 2014 1:06 PM
welllllllll..... I did just get word my crank is about 95% complete. its been gutted, knife edged and cleaned. just needs balanced, polished and the 2.3 crank gear put on it then ray can ship it out. that's basically all ive been waiting on. originally I was just gonna use the one I had done for my white car but decided against raping parts for that build.

still need to pull the other three pistons/rods and have them cleaned, etc. ultimately I still do not have a 100% definitive reason as to why the rod did what it did, either so still need to get that figured out otherwise its just going to happen again. HOPING the rod was bent but it could also be due to core shift in the block and since it was bored .060 over it could very likely be it. either one of those or it could literally be a bad bore job as well. I have another block ready to roll (paul's old'n) if need be, just needs bored.

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 1:10 PM
not much of an update but hey at least it's something

BPS shift cable clamp...

and got the ac deleted....

Friday, August 01, 2014 9:41 PM
Sub'd for my day dreaming moments.
Are there more details on the lower radiator support brace?

Sunday, August 03, 2014 6:50 PM
what do ya wish to know? it was made by phil Lindsay, its made out of aluminum, bolts right up to where the stock stamped steel piece goes. it IS a bit heavier, which Im not too thrilled about but im planning on getting the hole saw out one day and lightening the prick up some. its beefy as hell and could stand a few holes I think LOL. its got heim jointed rods that connect it to the subframe. one is shorter than the other, it connects to the lower engine mount bolt. the other, the longer one, replaces the stock stamped steel curved piece on the driver side.

Sunday, August 03, 2014 7:08 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:Phil Lindsay

There's a name I haven't heard in a while. Wonder what he's up to now.

"In Oldskool we trust"

Wednesday, August 06, 2014 8:10 AM
Y3llowCav wrote:
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:Phil Lindsay

There's a name I haven't heard in a while. Wonder what he's up to now.
*cough* Bobby Higgins *cough*

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search