Will's 2005 Cavvy - Page 3 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Will's 2005 Cavvy
Friday, October 03, 2014 1:49 PM
Z24Sunfire wrote:Pic requested!

Here 'ya go!

I know the switch will raise questions. That was put in as an alternative to running a wire to the fuse box for switched power. I was running short on time, so that's the way I ended up having to do things. I might do it right sometime in the future, but it serves its purpose (to keep my battery from dying).

The unit is a Clarion CZ302. I ordered it from Amazon, and I'm pleased with it so far. I'm pleased with the way the swap turned out.
Also, does anyone know if the stock stereo from my car will fit in a 2003 Cavalier? My mom wants the stock radio from my car in her J.

Saturday, October 04, 2014 11:48 AM
So, I just changed my oil and I found a HUGE problem.

That huge pile of oil came out of my intake tube. The tube that connects the airbox to the throttle body. I literally took that tube off and just dumped that much oil out of it. I have no idea what's causing my car to eat this much oil, and I really need to find out so I can fix it. If anyone can share some insight on this, please do so.

I've heard from a few sources that it could be due to a stuck PCV valve, and also heard from other sources that Ecotec engines don't even have PCV valves. I've even read somewhere online that a GM dealer told a guy that having oil in your intake is completely normal with these engines (I laughed a bit after reading that). Again, if anyone knows why there's oil in my intake, please let me know.
Monday, October 06, 2014 5:12 AM
While the engines running take the oil cap off and feel if there is a significant amount of pressure coming out of the hole. I suspect your rings are shot and it is putting a lot of pressure in your crankcase and blowing it through your valve cover into the intake box. I know on LD9's its not uncommon to take the intake mani off and find oil laying in it on high mileage engines. Not that knowledgeable on Eco's though. just a thought
Monday, October 06, 2014 7:20 AM
Willixel wrote:
Z24Sunfire wrote:Pic requested!

Here 'ya go!

I know the switch will raise questions. That was put in as an alternative to running a wire to the fuse box for switched power. I was running short on time, so that's the way I ended up having to do things. I might do it right sometime in the future, but it serves its purpose (to keep my battery from dying).

The unit is a Clarion CZ302. I ordered it from Amazon, and I'm pleased with it so far. I'm pleased with the way the swap turned out.
Also, does anyone know if the stock stereo from my car will fit in a 2003 Cavalier? My mom wants the stock radio from my car in her J.

Buy a mini-add-a-circuit for $6-$10 and use the sunroof fuse or another switched power right off the lt. side panel from the dash. Would have been just as easy as your rigged switch method.

Monday, October 06, 2014 8:25 AM
Thanks for the input joe! May be looking into that as I hate having to take the face off mine everytime I shut the car off
Tuesday, October 07, 2014 1:43 PM
Z24Sunfire wrote:While the engines running take the oil cap off and feel if there is a significant amount of pressure coming out of the hole. I suspect your rings are shot and it is putting a lot of pressure in your crankcase and blowing it through your valve cover into the intake box. I know on LD9's its not uncommon to take the intake mani off and find oil laying in it on high mileage engines. Not that knowledgeable on Eco's though. just a thought

I did as you said, and I wouldn't really call it a significant amount of pressure coming out, but there's definitely some pressure in there. With the oil cap off, you can feel little puffs of air coming out of the hole. Definitely seems like there's blow-by going on. This really sucks. I guess this means I should shell out for a rebuild kit ASAP?
Wednesday, October 08, 2014 5:10 AM
I would at least do a compression test to check across all cylinders to see how bad it is
Wednesday, October 08, 2014 8:06 AM
Z24Sunfire wrote:I would at least do a compression test to check across all cylinders to see how bad it is

Everyone I've talked to says that the piston rings are fried. I cleaned out my intake last night, so the next time I get gas which should be around next week sometime, I will check it again and see how bad it's gotten. The car started eating oil around 6 months ago, so I don't think it's too bad. I think all of the oil that was in the intake up until last night was accumulated over the course of that 6-month time span. But as I said, I will start checking how much oil is in there every time I fill up.
Thursday, October 09, 2014 6:15 PM
Can anyone recommend a good place to buy a high output alternator. I'm looking for 180 amp+. I'm thinking of going with Powermaster, but I figured I'd look at all other alternatives before I chose one to buy.
Saturday, October 11, 2014 7:46 PM
Also, can anyone recommend where I can get one of those really small filters? (see image below)

I borrowed a picture of your engine bay, Strat. Hope you don't mind. After all, it is pretty damn amazing-looking.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search